Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hello all,
This is my first Soul. A 2017 Soul + and I bought it used. My wife instantly fell in love with the vehicle. I have had the vehicle for less than 2 years and has given me no problems up until 2 weeks ago. My wife was driving the vehicle home after dropping me off at work when the oil light started to flash and the engine began to knock with no warning. The engine shut off and she had to coast to the shoulder. Long story short Kia will not replace the engine because it has 79,000 miles on it and my extended warranty wont cover it because I do all my own maintenance. I have read that people are getting their engines replaced even after the warranty is up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
So you never read the fine print on your extended warranty and you never documented or saved your oil change receipts.

Good luck in getting this engine fixed free, after turning your back on required extended warranty documentation and despite an expired used vehicle warranty that's shorter than the new vehicle warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So you never read the fine print on your extended warranty and you never documented or saved your oil change receipts.

Good luck in getting this engine fixed free, after turning your back on required extended warranty documentation and despite an expired used vehicle warranty that's shorter than the new vehicle warranty.
As I mentioned they did replace short block..no charge but I was charged for labor...that's my argument...shouldn't be charged at all...I have every oil change again as I mentioned and all work orders..

·
Registered
844 Posts
As I mentioned they did replace short block..no charge but I was charged for labor...that's my argument...shouldn't be charged at all...I have every oil change again as I mentioned and all work orders..
Your car was 45,000 miles out of warranty and they put in a short block for$1600! That was a gift!!!!!! Be thankful.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Your car was 45,000 miles out of warranty and they put in a short block for$1600! That was a gift!!!!!! Be thankful.

You're missing the point. Regardless of warranty, the car is under recall. When the official recall letter comes, there will be a reimbursement option for individuals who already paid for replacing a defective engine. I would wait for that instead of wasting time and money on lawsuits and attorneys, unless they are also billing Kia.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're missing the point. Regardless of warranty, the car is under recall. When the official recall letter comes, there will be a reimbursement option for individuals who already paid for replacing a defective engine. I would wait for that instead of wasting time and money on lawsuits and attorneys, unless they are also billing Kia.
The dealership with the "ok" from Kia as "goodwill" gesture replaced Short Block...I am not looking to sue to honest ..just reimbursed for labor I paid...that's my point...yes I hear you..I feel the same..but heard of so many and litigation pending just inquiring..thx

·
Registered
844 Posts
Obviously greatful but not when it's under recall and shouldn't have paid a penny..my point.
If the subject of the recall caused your engine failure, maybe, but at a 145K, maybe not. If the engine recall was for something other than what caused your engine failure, I wouldn't expect anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the subject of the recall caused your engine failure, maybe, but at a 145K, maybe not. If the engine recall was for something other than what caused your engine failure, I wouldn't expect anything.

Agreed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the same boat but I have a 1.6T, oil was OK but I didn't even make it to the first oil change before the engine blew. KIA giving the round around almost immediately and I've already started a buyback claim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Knuckles. That's unusual for that much oil to disappear in the course of one fillup. Were you able to see any source of a leak?

There has been issues with some Souls for sure, but the percentage is small compared to the 1 million plus on the road, they are hardly horrible. You'll find that oil depletion is an industry wide issue (research Subaru, Honda etc). In your case, that much oil depletion in one tank of gas suggests something else going on.

Is there a chance the oil filter or possibly the oil drain plug was not property tightened and sealed. What was the weight of oil used on the last change?

All the best.
Do you work for Kia or what I have read thousands of complaints on line and I baby my rides they are my life it's how I get to my job to make money so and even all my mechanics said it looks amazing so it's just a **** motor and Kia needs to man up and replace the engine cause it's not cool to put working people out cause rich people don't buy these cars normal people do thanks

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,949 Posts
Do you work for Kia or what I have read thousands of complaints on line and I baby my rides they are my life it's how I get to my job to make money so and even all my mechanics said it looks amazing so it's just a **** motor and Kia needs to man up and replace the engine cause it's not cool to put working people out cause rich people don't buy these cars normal people do thanks
No I don't work for Kia. That's funny.

You're new here, your first post, and pretty angry dropping an f bomb right out of the gate. Sorry you're having so much trouble. I truly believe carmakers should stand behind their products too.

I can only speak to my Kia experience after owning multiple new Hondas & an Acura for 30 years. My Soul is more solid & trouble free, from build quality to reliability. It's not a performance vehicle, but I didn't buy it for that. There has to be some reason Kia is high on the list of most consumer rating services.

I'm with you though, I'd be pissed off if my engine failed & it's the carmakers fault. Best of luck.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm with you though, I'd be pissed off if my engine failed & it's the carmakers fault. Best of luck.
Should be something more than Luck to address this irresponsible corporate behavior! Don't you think we all deserve complete support?:unsure:

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Should be something more than Luck to address this irresponsible corporate behavior! Don't you think we all deserve complete support?:unsure:
I think the Owners Manual says you have to pick either Luck or Complete Support. It costs extra if you want both 😂

·
Registered
376 Posts
Let's flip a coin! :unsure: Heads....Kia wins! Tails.....You Loose! 🤣

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
For complete support you want a jock strap, or a bra, generally depending on your gender.
If you are not sure, I can't help. The yoyo rule is in effect. You're on your own. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,
This is my first Soul. A 2017 Soul + and I bought it used. My wife instantly fell in love with the vehicle. I have had the vehicle for less than 2 years and has given me no problems up until 2 weeks ago. My wife was driving the vehicle home after dropping me off at work when the oil light started to flash and the engine began to knock with no warning. The engine shut off and she had to coast to the shoulder. Long story short Kia will not replace the engine because it has 79,000 miles on it and my extended warranty wont cover it because I do all my own maintenance. I have read that people are getting their engines replaced even after the warranty is up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2017 soul +, it’s very important on these gdi engines you replace the PCV valves every 30,000 miles or so, and run full synthetic not a synthetic blend, I change my PCV valve every time I change the plugs, another problem is the 5w20 oil that is recommended for these engines is extremely thin, use 10w30 , sorry about your experience, and the 02 sensors are notorious for burning out very quickly

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul + Yellow
7 Posts
Without reading all posts... my 2014 2.0L did the same thing 2 winters ago. I believe it had 95000 miles at the time. I noticed the oil light flickering, oil was low (no leaks), filled it up but by then it was making a slight sound. I knew what that was so didn't think it would last ling and about 30 min later I went to start off at a light and my transmission jerked and disengaged, and I had to coast to the side.

They wouldn't repair because I did ride share. Flat out refused because it was in the exclusions. I fought with them about not using the car to do anything other than drive around (racing, towing, extreme stress on the car in some way, emergency vehicle use) which it should be able to accommodate, people or not. They were leaning towards helping me but I couldn't prove my own oil changes so they didn't go ahead.

I did get a piece of mail from Kia back in January saying there was a reimbursement program for failed engines due to X Y Z. I sent the info in and got my $5300 back... happy day.

Look into it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,
These GDI Engines have to be maintenance a certain way , things Kia will not tell you or put in the manual, the number one thing is changing the PCV valves regularly, if it gets clogged it cause pressure to build in the engine, it will start consuming oil , blowing gaskets and leaking oil and eventually total engine failure will occur, Use a good throttle body cleaner every 20-30 thousand miles for a GDI engine seafoam makes a great product, it cleans the throttle body , valves, O2 sensors getting harmful carbon deposits out of your engine, also run full synthetic, I know most of kias GDI engines calls for 5w20 , but it’s almost as thin water , this is another reason for oil consumption up past 75,000 miles, they should recommend 10w30 in my opinion, this is just things I’ve encountered buying a new soul plus in 2017, I’m no certified mechanic but I do know cars , so I’m no professional

21 - 40 of 67 Posts