Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
This is my first Soul. A 2017 Soul + and I bought it used. My wife instantly fell in love with the vehicle. I have had the vehicle for less than 2 years and has given me no problems up until 2 weeks ago. My wife was driving the vehicle home after dropping me off at work when the oil light started to flash and the engine began to knock with no warning. The engine shut off and she had to coast to the shoulder. Long story short Kia will not replace the engine because it has 79,000 miles on it and my extended warranty wont cover it because I do all my own maintenance. I have read that people are getting their engines replaced even after the warranty is up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I've never heard Kia replace Soul engines for free, since they are not under recall, yet. However, your beef is with your extended warranty. How can they just decline your warranty? Don't you have receipts of buying oil, filter etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never heard Kia replace Soul engines for free, since they are not under recall, yet. However, your beef is with your extended warranty. How can they just decline your warranty? Don't you have receipts of buying oil, filter etc?
I also sent them my corresponding bank statements to show I purchased the parts at autozone

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Unfortunately, that's not much of a proof. You may have to litigate with your warranty company or hopefully Kia will issue a recall and reimburse you for your expenses. It takes them years to do that though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If the dealer and/or KIA won't offer any assistance, at least run it by your insurance co., and if that fails, shop a used engine via an independent shop. Why would DIY negate an extended warranty??? That's disturbing. Good luck.

Greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all,
This is my first Soul. A 2017 Soul + and I bought it used. My wife instantly fell in love with the vehicle. I have had the vehicle for less than 2 years and has given me no problems up until 2 weeks ago. My wife was driving the vehicle home after dropping me off at work when the oil light started to flash and the engine began to knock with no warning. The engine shut off and she had to coast to the shoulder. Long story short Kia will not replace the engine because it has 79,000 miles on it and my extended warranty wont cover it because I do all my own maintenance. I have read that people are getting their engines replaced even after the warranty is up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What happened to the 100000 mile warranty

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,935 Posts
Hi Knuckles, when was the last time you checked the oil level prior to failure? Like the week or month before? What was the level at that time?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Knuckles, when was the last time you checked the oil level prior to failure? Like the week or month before? What was the level at that time?
I check it at every fueling. So it gave no warning and just began knocking. I've done research and found these engine have a horrible track record for failure. The oil level was just below the top mark so it was well within operating range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the dealer and/or KIA won't offer any assistance, at least run it by your insurance co., and if that fails, shop a used engine via an independent shop. Why would DIY negate an extended warranty??? That's disturbing. Good luck.

Greg
Insurance said unless it was related to a vehicular accident it would not be covered.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I check it at every fueling. So it gave no warning and just began knocking. I've done research and found these engine have a horrible track record for failure. The oil level was just below the top mark so it was well within operating range.
Thanks Knuckles. That's unusual for that much oil to disappear in the course of one fillup. Were you able to see any source of a leak?

There has been issues with some Souls for sure, but the percentage is small compared to the 1 million plus on the road, they are hardly horrible. You'll find that oil depletion is an industry wide issue (research Subaru, Honda etc). In your case, that much oil depletion in one tank of gas suggests something else going on.

Is there a chance the oil filter or possibly the oil drain plug was not property tightened and sealed. What was the weight of oil used on the last change?

All the best.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
902 Posts
Knuckles reported "The oil level was just below the top mark so it was well within operating range."
Failed oil delivery due to pump or stoppage?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
This guy tore down a Hyundai engine near 300,000 miles. Among other interesting points, says that malfunctioning radiator caps & thermostats can lead to overheating & failed engines (about 10:00).

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it wasn't a CPO vehicle, only the 5yr, 60K warranty is honored.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
What is cpo Kia's biggest selling point is the 10 year 100000 mile warranty I know this is true because I have one

·
Registered
54 Posts
What is cpo Kia's biggest selling point is the 10 year 100000 mile warranty I know this is true because I have one

The warranty goes with the owner, not the car. You buy a Soul from the original owner, your warranty ends at 60K...you do NOT get the 100k version. I know...I just bought a 2018 and the warranty is very clear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The warranty goes with the owner, not the car. You buy a Soul from the original owner, your warranty ends at 60K...you do NOT get the 100k version. I know...I just bought a 2018 and the warranty is very clear.
Oh I didn't know that sorry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello all,
I would contact a class action attorney or or two. There might be one out there that can help you? The best of luck to you!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all,
Hi so July 2019 driving to work my car died after I pulled over showed no oil and oil all over the engine....after 2 months with dealership having my car they got Kia to replace short block and whatever it took to fix it.. I have every oil change documented. ...anythingv ever done to it. I have oil changes every 3,000 miles. At the time it had 145,000 miles on it...As a "good will" gesture dealership said they would fix at no cost but would need to pay 1,600 for labor.. so unfortunately paid it. So fast fwd 2020 Nov...I receive a recall notice to fix electrical indicator to prevent engine failure...! I called Kia USA have a case number waiting to hear. .Ivan fighting for reimbursement of labor charges....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts