Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all,
This is my first Soul. A 2017 Soul + and I bought it used. My wife instantly fell in love with the vehicle. I have had the vehicle for less than 2 years and has given me no problems up until 2 weeks ago. My wife was driving the vehicle home after dropping me off at work when the oil light started to flash and the engine began to knock with no warning. The engine shut off and she had to coast to the shoulder. Long story short Kia will not replace the engine because it has 79,000 miles on it and my extended warranty wont cover it because I do all my own maintenance. I have read that people are getting their engines replaced even after the warranty is up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I believe there is a class action. I have a 2015 and my car burns oil dry within 800 miles of it being filled. Kia is putting a new engine once they confirm the oil burning for themselves. They’ve replaced my Cat Converter twice on my car at no charge to me. They’ve put a seal over my oil cap so they can confirm the oil is burning If you want more of my story please let me know. I just don’t know I’m late and you’ve already handled your situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please share.

It would useful to know the mileage of the vehicle and the kind of driving you do.
When I started having problems with my car (oil consumption and cat converter) it was at about 60,000 miles. I’m at 76,000 now.
i drive about 15,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
709 Posts
When I started having problems with my car (oil consumption and cat converter) it was at about 60,000 miles. I’m at 76,000 now.
i drive about 15,000 miles a year.
Good to know.

Those 15K miles per year, are they mostly city or highway?

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's interesting. How often are you to go to the dealer to have the oil level checked?
Just once. I went in and paid for a pcv valve and oil change. I go back when I’ve driven 1,000 miles. I’m at 900 now and I have an appt on Monday. I can tell it’s about dry because I can hear a rattle under my hood and my car feels sluggish. Once they confirm the oil consumption they told me the next step should be a new engine. I hope they don’t screw with me. I’m so done with car repairs!!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,948 Posts
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mostly highways.
Wow. And the dealer does all the oil changes....

Wow, because short trips, stop-n-go in urban areas, and similar are the types of driving that can really stress the engine. Highway miles no.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow. And the dealer does all the oil changes....

Wow, because short trips, stop-n-go in urban areas, and similar are the types of driving that can really stress the engine. Highway miles no.
No, I usually go to jiffy lube for oil changes. I had Kia do it for this test. I do drive quite a bit on the streets but mostly on the highways. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
248 Posts
No, I usually go to jiffy lube for oil changes. I had Kia do it for this test. I do drive quite a bit on the streets but mostly on the highways. Thank you for the info!
Just curious, how many miles do you usually go between oil changes?

The manual says 7500 miles for normal driving, but most US drivers fall into the severe maintenance category and that’s 3750 miles.

With dirty GDI engines it’s a good idea to go no more than 5000 miles between oil changes.

What sometimes happens is the piston rings get clogged up with carbon and get stuck, causing a lot of oil consumption. (It’s a problem that has been affecting other manufacturers too, in part due to the use of low tension piston rings in a never ending effort to increase MPG)

If it’s not too late, the Kia dealer may be able to fix it with chemicals they put down the spark plug holes. They let the chemicals soak overnight and the goal is to dissolve the carbon and free up the rings.

But it seems like you’re burning a lot of oil. (they are looking for more than 1qt per 1000 miles) It seems like you’re burning well over that and so much that it’s causing engine noise. Not good.

I hope they end up replacing your engine. Good luck at your appointment Monday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just curious, how many miles do you usually go between oil changes?

The manual says 7500 miles for normal driving, but most US drivers fall into the severe maintenance category and that’s 3750 miles.

With dirty GDI engines it’s a good idea to go no more than 5000 miles between oil changes.

What sometimes happens is the piston rings get clogged up with carbon and get stuck, causing a lot of oil consumption. (It’s a problem that has been affecting other manufacturers too, in part due to the use of low tension piston rings in a never ending effort to increase MPG)

If it’s not too late, the Kia dealer may be able to fix it with chemicals they put down the spark plug holes. They let the chemicals soak overnight and the goal is to dissolve the carbon and free up the rings.

But it seems like you’re burning a lot of oil. (they are looking for more than 1qt per 1000 miles) It seems like you’re burning well over that and so much that it’s causing engine noise. Not good.

I hope they end up replacing your engine. Good luck at your appointment Monday.
Good morning,
Thank you, I hope they do too! It’s been a long time dealing with this!
I get oil changes at about 3500 miles. My oil is completely dry at 850-1000 miles so I put oil in a couple times in between oil changes. I’ll give an update as soon as I know what they’re going to do.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
302 Posts
...I can tell it’s about dry because I can hear a rattle under my hood and my car feels sluggish. Once they confirm the oil consumption they told me the next step should be a new engine. I hope they don’t screw with me. I’m so done with car repairs!!
I would feel a little unnerved driving around believing the car was drastically low on oil.

Well if everything else on the car is working good and you end up a new engine that would be a good thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would feel a little unnerved driving around believing the car was drastically low on oil.

Well if everything else on the car is working good and you end up a new engine that would be a good thing. Good luck.
I do! It worries me. But I asked them about this and the guy at Kia said, it’s ok to keep driving unless the oil light comes on. Well, my oil light has never come on! He said I have oil in the tray? and unless the light comes on I’ll be ok. Doesn’t sound right to me but that’s what they said. I’m only going to drive it locally until then. Please help answer this concern I have. I always thought when your oil is LOW that the oil light comes on to let you know to add oil. So I told Kia that is why I didn’t realize the oil was low originally (2 years ago) because my oil light has never come on. He told me that the oil light only comes on if there isn’t oil in tray underneath and if it comes on do not drive anymore. Please forgive me I know nothing about cars so I’m not sure if he specifically said tray underneath. But he was saying there’s more oil still left even tho I don’t see it on the dip stick. Please chime in!! I appreciate everyone’s help!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The oil light is a low oil pressure light. It’s not a low oil level light. It only comes on when you have low oil pressure and you don’t want that.

Once this is sorted and you (hopefully) have a new engine, it would be a good idea to start checking your oil with the dip stick at least once a month. Check it on a warm engine that has been turned off for about 5 mins to allow oil to drain back into the oil pan. I check mine after I pump fuel.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts