Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I plan on keeping the two that I have as long as I am able to drive. My 2013+ only has 34K miles. The 2018 1 Million was a BIG buy for us. Compared it against the 2019's and with the extras that came with it, there was no comparison for us. We just don't care for the new models.
Same here nick. For me, they don't offer much of a better mousetrap with Gen3. I thought Gen2 was a big step from Gen1. Your 1Million edition is terrific & will last you a long time, fully loaded too.

I am thinking if EVs come down drastically in cost, as forecasted in the next 5 years, to similar prices of ICE vehicles, I might jump to that from my manual transmission life.

If Kia offered up some Special Edition Gen3 package for the Soul, like a GT stick, similar to what Hyundai has done with the Elantra Sport, then I'd jump in to Gen3.

·
Registered
582 Posts
With the new CVT transmission, I think the smart thing to do now is wait for others to take the plunge and see if issues will appear.

I never buy new cars anyway... they loose 30% of their value when you drive them off the lot.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I work in logistics (a transportation sub-segment). I've been involved with a few different battery manufacturing plants in the Midwest as well as a few remanufacturing facilities. The part about thickness of plates and quality/purity of materials is true. The part about same battery different warranty based on price is sometimes true, depends on brand/line.
The important part I want to share is quality. I know too much to trust ANY one brand. The "basic" batteries get crossed among brands and lines with little concern (other than group size) prior to labeling. Depending on volume purchased and which buyer the labels may not even be on them, but rather in a box. They watch what brands are selling, label the blanks accordingly and Viola! the shelves are restocked.
I do prefer vented, those can be inspected and maintained. I do prefer 5-6year warranty with at least 3year free. Around here those are $90-$100 retail at certain handyman stores. If you buy one with a warranty MAKE sure they mark the battery and mark it CORRECTLY, otherwise they can weasel out of it. I normally buy a dual post, it has both top and side posts. On my other Kia I used the top for the factory connection and the side ground to the engine.
Edit: the tsb says it will mess with the battery monitor, which it really could. On an out of warranty car I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Freakin cold here lately (-28c to -30c overnight). Getting a visit from a polar vortex for Xmas to the New Year. Had to boost the Soul twice this weekend. Checked battery with a voltmeter a few times. Battery is checking out ok. If the battery is failing, I will be very disappointed. Its too soon. Keeping it on a battery minder for now.

Shopping for a replacement Just in case but have come across an issue. What is the actual group size for my battery?

My current battery says CCA600, RC110, 68Ah (20hr). No group size. Measured size approx. 10"Lx6.4"Wx8"H. I could make out a Hyundai lable on the front. I would have remove the battery to fully read it though.

Service manual spec says CCA550, RC92, 60Ah (20hr), 48Ah (5hr). No group size or dimensions. Is less capacity than current battery.

Online searches come up with group size 121R. Much smaller physical size than current battery. 8.3"Lx7"Wx8.5"H. And most options are less capacity than current. Some less capacity than the service manual suggestion. Found an Interstate Battery with a similar spec as my current battery.

Other battery finders come up with group 48. Nice capacity but much bigger physical size than current. Appears this is the battery if you have the ISG system.

Tray does not appear to be able to fit the larger group 48 size. Or the width of a 121R (No room for battery clamp). I can go 0.5" longer but will no longer able to use the insulated battery cover. Could go way higher as long as the top stays flat to fit the terminal connectors and positive cover. Some have small recess around terminals that do not look accommodating.

Is this a special Canadian spec battery? Will I have to go factory? Not interested in a lower capacity than the current battery. If this battery is failing already do I want to replace it with another one? Warranty on this one??
My answers to your questions:
1( Your OEM (Hyundai) battery was manufactured in Korea – no BCI Group Size there. It’s mandatory only for North America battery manufacturers. But the most important OEM battery electrical data are there: CCA 600, RC 110, 68Ah (20hr). For an equal BCI-replacement, you are missing the inner surface dimensions of the battery tray - they are: L 9.6”, W 6.75”.

2( Service Manual battery specs CCA 550, RC 92, 60Ah (20hr) are the minimal values KIA requires for replacement battery for its Souls sold in North America!

3( Electrically equal to your OEM-battery that will fit in Soul battery tray is: BCI 35 Battery: L 9.1”, W 6.9”, H 8.9”.

How I found and how I used this infos:
We own KIA Soul 2011 2.0L, bought second hand in September 2017; under the hood – BCI 121R battery!
In November 2018 we went to CAA Vehicle Inspection Centre – Montreal to get a pre-winter car inspection. They made us a battery replacement offer for CAA Premium 35 Battery, but I didn’t take it – 121R battery test concluded: ~50% health status.

I’m a retired electrician, so I started investigating KIA Soul battery replacement puzzle just in case …
Sure enough, at the end of July 2019 the old 121R battery died completely – this time, the CAA test concluded: ~0% health status; they made us a battery replacement offer, but for CAA Premium 121R-C Battery! Long story short, we initially accepted the “offer” – they installed the new 121R-C battery, they made us sign a Warranty Contract, we paid only for the battery (CAD $186 + Taxes) and we went home.
But then I red the small letters of the Warranty Contract (like a smart person, you know) and I got really mad! Good thing we had 10 days to cancel the Contract and return the battery. So, I immediately started looking online for a BCI 35 replacement battery to buy and get it delivered. At the same time I googled “KIA Soul battery replacement size” and that’s how I found this discussion.

We bought from Costco.ca “Energizer 35 AGM Battery” for CAD $180 + Taxes, delivered to our home in Montreal. The next day (the 9th day since the CAA purchase) we went to CAA centre with our new 35 AGM battery between the seats – we returned CAA 121R battery, got reimbursed for it, and got installed the new 35 AGM battery!
I’m attaching bellow a photo/2019-08-09 of the new replacement 35 AGM battery under the hood of our 2011 KIA Soul 2.0L:

Good luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks @vangone for the info about the EverStart 124R 700CCA battery. It was quite the challenge today trying to get a replacement battery after my 2014 OEM battery died. It lasted five years so that's pretty good considering that's the original battery from 2014.

All of the car battery finders were recommending a 121R 600CCA battery, and even though it would've been perfectly adequate performance wise, it bothered me that the size was a noticeably smaller and left a good bit of room in the battery tray. The 124R defintely fills it out better, and the 700CCA matches the OEM battery. @zerogee brought up a good point: the EverStart H6 Group battery might be an even better match as far as physical size goes since the 124R is a tad smaller than OEM. When the 124R goes kaput, I've made some notes to check out the EverStart H6. Appreciate all of the members who contributed info this thread.

Here are some pics...until next the battery :)

IMG_20190922_115149745.jpg

IMG_20190922_165212377_2.jpg
IMG_20190922_165155960.jpg
IMG_20190922_153342254.jpg
IMG_20190922_180518507.jpg

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Personally, I think that those battery finders are broken when it comes to the Soul. The 121R may have been the correct one at some point, it certainly is not the only option now.

For the heck of it, I explored what the Walmart battery finder says for other Kia and Hyundai 2014 /15 models with the 2.0 engine. Most came out as 124R. The Forte had the H6. Surprisingly, the 2015 Soul had 124R.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I finally replaced my battery today. Went with the Walmart MAXX Everstart 124R and it's a perfect fit. Easy to install. Clamped right in. The insulated jacket fits just like on the OEM. It's a stronger battery than my OEM too.

I saw the 121R next to the 124R today and it's a tiny much weaker battery compared to the 124. The 121 is definately Not a direct replacement to my battery.

The OEM battery was Hyundai.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I winded up returning the 124R and paid a few more bucks for the H6 Group. It is a little bigger.
Bigger in which way? I can't go any wider without shaving the clamp. But, I could probably go about an inch longer. The jacket would no longer fit if either is bigger though.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It is a little wider and it fit fine for me. The battery tray still has a little bit more room. It does have more cranking power and an integrated handle to help with lifting it out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I think there is a larger battery tray that some models got that accepts the AGM battery. The AGM battery is larger, Group 48 or H6.

Does your jacket fit the H6 better than the 124R?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I don't have a photo. It's a 4 sided thin insulated sleeve that slides over the battery. I guess Florida cars dont need it?? ❄☃🤯 🤣

·
Super Moderator
7,826 Posts
When I replaced my battery the insulated sleeve found its way to the trash can! ;)

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
When I replaced my battery the insulated sleeve found its way to the trash can! ;)
Mine is sitting on a shelf in the garage. It'll probably be there a few years before I forget what it is and throw it out or someone buys it in a garage sale :)

·
Super Moderator
7,826 Posts
81 - 97 of 97 Posts