Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SOUL " ! " Owned since New
2,063 Posts
~The Price & Warranty made it a easy pick~
Just go to Wal-Mart and get the MAXX battery with free install ...3 year (best warranty) Free Replacement $100.62 ~ Be done, and can get warranty service any where in the country "most cities"

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I don't know, did you look it up on a Canadian OM? It might be something different for colder climates.
Or if the websites are wrong, the manual is wrong... you don't think that somehow your battery is the wrong size? Being too big of a battery can stress the alternator (especially if you ever deep discharge it). And based on my experience the alternators on Hyundai/Kia are lets say... delicate.
In one of my links there are all the batteris dimensions - you can reverse look it up.

PS: BCI Group 48 is for cars with ISG system. That system comes with a beefed-up alternator and starter.
I could not find a battery spec in the owners manual only in the service manual. The service manual has the 60Ah listed. On KiaPartsNow has 60Ah and smaller batteries are listed for GEN1's (Except a 70Ah AGM for ISG). KPN only has the 68Ah (my battery) and 70Ah (AGM) for my car. So, I think the battery in my car is the correct one.

I did the reverse lookup for dimensions. 2 sizes were close but no one has them in stock or not carried at all making me thinks they are either super popular or not a common size. So it was hard to find capacity specs for them.

Conwelpic posted a photo of his battery earlier in this thread. His 2016, a non ISG model, has the 70 AGM battery. But it could have a different alternator.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Duracell 121r from Sam's Club fits fine in my 2016 Base as far as the mounting bracket and tray are concerned, but the battery width is slightly smaller so the foam wraparound didn't fit. I cut the foam and taped it around the battery. Now it fits.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul + Clear White 2.0 L GDI
505 Posts
My favorite battery store (Costco) does not stock the 121R (none in Northern CA) so had to seek another source when our Souls battery started acting up. Ended up going to WalMart and had a 124R installed. The 124R is less than an inch taller than the original battery, but fits inside the insulating jacket fine (width and depth must be similar to OEM on the 2.0L). I saw some 121Rs which are clearly narrower than the 124r. The replacement warranty is only 6 months shorter than the Interstates sold at Costco and there are more WalMarts around than Costcos. It was also nice watching someone install the battery as opposed to the DIY that I have done with the Costco batteries. Hopefully the battery will behave better than the OEM that became skitterish at 3 years of age. I am amazed how much other places are charging for the Soul batteries--mine was a bit over $100 after taxes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Zerogee: I just had local dealer put one in mine. My manual says something about having to reset various electronic things if you remove the battery. Dealer said they put electronic hookup on batt cables to prevent that. $139.95. Forgot to ask about warranty! Not sure about your model. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
Just put in Interstate 42mo #39 from Costco. $95.

On Gen2 just remove lower front clamp (one bolt, extension socket). Don't remove or loosen computer on driver side of battery. No need to mess with with air filter either.

Very easy.

Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Mid-size car

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
My favorite battery store (Costco) does not stock the 121R (none in Northern CA) so had to seek another source when our Souls battery started acting up. Ended up going to WalMart and had a 124R installed. The 124R is less than an inch taller than the original battery, but fits inside the insulating jacket fine (width and depth must be similar to OEM on the 2.0L). I saw some 121Rs which are clearly narrower than the 124r. The replacement warranty is only 6 months shorter than the Interstates sold at Costco and there are more WalMarts around than Costcos. It was also nice watching someone install the battery as opposed to the DIY that I have done with the Costco batteries. Hopefully the battery will behave better than the OEM that became skitterish at 3 years of age. I am amazed how much other places are charging for the Soul batteries--mine was a bit over $100 after taxes.
Curiously, I did a replacement battery search for what other Kia /Hyundai cars with a 2.0 used. Turns out the 124R is a popular replacement. Physical size is similar to my current battery. Perfomance equal to or better than my current battery. Sounds like the most promising replacement.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Zerogee: I just had local dealer put one in mine. My manual says something about having to reset various electronic things if you remove the battery.
Last week I disconnected the negative cable for about 45 minutes to install cruise.
All radio settings remained.
Only had to reset clock and day/date.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I have yet to replace my battery. Early last winter, I got a smart charger and put the battery on charge overnight every night for a week. Cleaned the terminals (they looked good, but did them anyway). Made sure they were snug. Appears to have refreshed the battery for now. No issues all winter.

I dont remember reseting anything. Must not have been a hassle.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul + Clear White 2.0 L GDI
505 Posts
Zerogee: I just had local dealer put one in mine. My manual says something about having to reset various electronic things if you remove the battery.
Last week I disconnected the negative cable for about 45 minutes to install cruise.
All radio settings remained.
Only had to reset clock and day/date.
On our 2016 + only the clock and date settings needed to be reset. I noticed that both the A and B trip odometers went back to zero when I jumped the battery as well as after replacing battery. The main odometer did not change.

I just realized that this post is in the Gen 1 forum—oops;

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,703 Posts
Walmart 26r.

Game...set...match!!!
I just replaced the Walrus World battery in my wife's PT. It was installed July 31, 2010 for $47. She drives 1000 miles a year.

After my Soul got rear-ended--I need to do a thread on that experience--on April 8 I had a spare car. But it didn't start, she's been out of town and her PT sat for a few weeks. USAA sent a tow truck out but he got it jumped and he recommended Battery Wholesale. I drove in, guy replaced the battery, $92.60 and I drove out 30 minutes later.

I don't know what "brand" it is, it's 26R-48 520CCA 650 CA 75m in RC. Whatever that means. Free replacement for 12 months.

When I had the O&F done at the local Mazda shop last year the guy said the cable was corroded and oh so grody and probably needed replacing. Not true. The terminal WAS covered in green, my bad for not doing due diligence in maintenance, but otherwise all was good. Guy cleaned things up, popped in the new battery, away I went.

I have one of those lighter-plug "settings saver" dealies that uses a 9V battery, those will save radio etc. settings.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
827 Posts
Replaced my OE battery today, which was nearly 6 1/2 yrs old. Drove fine one day and next day would not crank. Would not start off a jump box either. Got a WallyWorld EverStart MAXX 121R. It came with 3 yr replacement at NC and 2 yr pro rate after that.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Replaced my OE battery today, which was nearly 6 1/2 yrs old. Drove fine one day and next day would not crank. Would not start off a jump box either. Got a WallyWorld EverStart MAXX 121R. It came with 3 yr replacement at NC and 2 yr pro rate after that.
That's a good battery nick. I was going to use that as well but a friend called from Costco & said they could pick me up an Interstate #39. Same warranty & really good fitment on both. I couldn't believe how easy it was to swap out.

My old battery was still working but consistently tested "Replace Battery." It would fully charge after a 30 minute drive but after 3 days in the garage, be down to about 20% state of charge. I was surprised it still started the car.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That's a good battery nick. I was going to use that as well but a friend called from Costco & said they could pick me up an Interstate #39. Same warranty & really good fitment on both. I couldn't believe how easy it was to swap out.

My old battery was still working but consistently tested "Replace Battery." It would fully charge after a 30 minute drive but after 3 days in the garage, be down to about 20% state of charge. I was surprised it still started the car.
Sadly we don't have Costco anywhere near here, we are stuck with WallyWorld and Sam's Club(WallyWorld HQ is just up the road a few miles). So, when are you going to take the plunge into a 2020?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Sadly we don't have Costco anywhere near here, we are stuck with WallyWorld and Sam's Club(WallyWorld HQ is just up the road a few miles). So, when are you going to take the plunge into a 2020?
I've thought about it Nick, but the 2020 stick shift model has been de-contented from my Gen2.

They've taken out
Satellite XM
Voice command radio
Express front row Windows
Heated mirrors
Side Markers
Lighted visor mirrors
Drivers grab handle

I had to install cruise control & center armrest on my 2014 & would need to do that again for Gen 3. If they offered an EX stick shift I would be all over it.

So when are you going to take the plunge?

Reactions: nick1946

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've thought about it Nick, but the 2020 stick shift model has been de-contented from my Gen2.

They've taken out
Satellite XM
Voice command radio
Express front row Windows
Heated mirrors
Side Markers
Lighted visor mirrors
Drivers grab handle

I had to install cruise control & center armrest on my 2014 & would need to do that again for Gen 3. If they offered an EX stick shift I would be all over it.

So when are you going to take the plunge?
I plan on keeping the two that I have as long as I am able to drive. My 2013+ only has 34K miles. The 2018 1 Million was a BIG buy for us. Compared it against the 2019's and with the extras that came with it, there was no comparison for us. We just don't care for the new models.

Reactions: GeoSoul
61 - 80 of 119 Posts