Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freakin cold here lately (-28c to -30c overnight). Getting a visit from a polar vortex for Xmas to the New Year. Had to boost the Soul twice this weekend. Checked battery with a voltmeter a few times. Battery is checking out ok. If the battery is failing, I will be very disappointed. Its too soon. Keeping it on a battery minder for now.

Shopping for a replacement Just in case but have come across an issue. What is the actual group size for my battery?

My current battery says CCA600, RC110, 68Ah (20hr). No group size. Measured size approx. 10"Lx6.4"Wx8"H. I could make out a Hyundai lable on the front. I would have remove the battery to fully read it though.

Service manual spec says CCA550, RC92, 60Ah (20hr), 48Ah (5hr). No group size or dimensions. Is less capacity than current battery.

Online searches come up with group size 121R. Much smaller physical size than current battery. 8.3"Lx7"Wx8.5"H. And most options are less capacity than current. Some less capacity than the service manual suggestion. Found an Interstate Battery with a similar spec as my current battery.

Other battery finders come up with group 48. Nice capacity but much bigger physical size than current. Appears this is the battery if you have the ISG system.

Tray does not appear to be able to fit the larger group 48 size. Or the width of a 121R (No room for battery clamp). I can go 0.5" longer but will no longer able to use the insulated battery cover. Could go way higher as long as the top stays flat to fit the terminal connectors and positive cover. Some have small recess around terminals that do not look accommodating.

Is this a special Canadian spec battery? Will I have to go factory? Not interested in a lower capacity than the current battery. If this battery is failing already do I want to replace it with another one? Warranty on this one??

·
Registered
14,784 Posts
we are having the same temperatures here in Southern Ontario. Hope I don't have any problems starting tomorrow as my Soul has been sitting for a week, but it is in a non-heated garage.

Battery warranty is 36 months, but its pro-rated. If replacing get a stronger Ah.

Here's the details on my OEM battery in my Soul.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ya. Always try to get strongest battery that will fit when replacing. This car has turned out to be the most difficult to fit though. I wonder if that one will fit?

That an AGM battery. Nice. Thought that came with models with ISG.

Thinking you will have no issues during this cold spell with that battery and age.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think I'd start by going to a store that sells batteries with your battery measurements and see what they have that will fit.
Around here, the store with the greatest variety of sizes and capacities is Walmart.

I've mentioned this several (hundred) times myself, but I'll mention it again.... Get a 24" battery cable with eyelets on both ends, and connect it to the NEG terminal on your battery and then connect the other end to any available bolt on top of the engine. That will greatly increase the grounding for your starter and your engine will start much faster. You may not really require a new battery.
My own OEM battery is now five years old and still going strong.

Cable to block.jpg
Click picture to enlarge.
One end of new Ground Cable bolted down to engine.

NewCableAtBattery.jpg
Click picture to enlarge.
One end of new Ground Cable connected to NEG terminal of the battery.

I first heard about this trick from the guys on the UK Soul forum, where they were having a real hard time starting their little Diesels.
It works!

Happy New Years, Mates,
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I replace both my 2010 and the 2012 with Farm N Fleet Platinum batteries with the same CCA as the original. Could not use the battery cover for the 2012 but other wise fine. Starts good so far(-4 Fahrenheit).

·
Registered
14,784 Posts
Ya. Always try to get strongest battery that will fit when replacing. This car has turned out to be the most difficult to fit though. I wonder if that one will fit?

That an AGM battery. Nice. Thought that came with models with ISG.

Thinking you will have no issues during this cold spell with that battery and age.
mine is not an ISG model and this one is more stronger than the one I had in my G1 2012 model, which I owned for 5 winters and gave me no problem.
It went even colder last night so we will see what happens when we leave to head into Trenton to do our weekly shopping in the next couple of hours.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Funny how people in Florida comment about how long batteries should last in Canada :D
I have lived in cold weather places and I assure anyone that the comparation is not even funny!

The AGM batteries deal better with the cold weather. Synthetic 5W oil helps too.

·
Registered
14,784 Posts
mine is not an ISG model and this one is more stronger than the one I had in my G1 2012 model, which I owned for 5 winters and gave me no problem.
It went even colder last night so we will see what happens when we leave to head into Trenton to do our weekly shopping in the next couple of hours.
It started with no problem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never had a battery not last at least 5 years. Last OEM battery lasted 8 years. Could not find manufactured date on current battery. Could be older than I think.

I think I'd start by going to a store that sells batteries with your battery measurements and see what they have that will fit.
Around here, the store with the greatest variety of sizes and capacities is Walmart.

I've mentioned this several (hundred) times myself, but I'll mention it again.... Get a 24" battery cable with eyelets on both ends, and connect it to the NEG terminal on your battery and then connect the other end to any available bolt on top of the engine. That will greatly increase the grounding for your starter and your engine will start much faster. You may not really require a new battery.
My own OEM battery is now five years old and still going strong.

View attachment 110466
One end of new Ground Cable bolted down to engine.

View attachment 110474
One end of new Ground Cable connected to NEG terminal of the battery.

I first heard about this trick from the guys on the UK Soul forum, where they were having a real hard time starting their little Diesels.
It works!

Happy New Years, Mates,
May do this. It is simple and cheap enough to do. Always felt this 2.0 was harder starting than my last 2L. Thought it was due to higher compression. Or maybe the super duper factory filter keeping more oil in the engine. :smile:

WallyWorld 26R works! ($49.95)
Lesser capacity than current battery. Not in stock at local Wally's too. The Everstart batteries are well rated by Consumers Reports.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we are having the same temperatures here in Southern Ontario. Hope I don't have any problems starting tomorrow as my Soul has been sitting for a week, but it is in a non-heated garage.

Battery warranty is 36 months, but its pro-rated. If replacing get a stronger Ah.

Here's the details on my OEM battery in my Soul.

Looks like the tray and insulated cover are different part numbers than for my battery. But I will inquire at dealership about it to confirm.

·
Registered
14,784 Posts
do you have a block heater?

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My battery outside "shell/cover" is larger than the nominal size battery, probably they have just one size that will fit all, to include ISG model too.
Battery selector:
https://www.autobatteries.com/en-us/how-to-choose-your-car-battery-replacement/battery-applications
Thats one of the battety finders I tried. Tells me 121R. But clearly not what I have.

My battery tray might be shared by the 68Ah (my battery) and the 70Ah AGM. But different insulated cover for each battery option found at kiapartsnow.
https://www.kiapartsnow.com/parts-list/2016-kia-soul/battery.html

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Batteries is batteries! With no respect as to what car they are in.

There are two main criteria when selecting a new battery for the Kia Soul.
1. Will it physically fit in the battery 'box'? (it should be the same physical size as the OEM battery)
2. Are the pos and neg posts in the right corners? (In some batteries, those are reversed.)

Any battery that fits those two criteria, will work just fine in a Kia Soul.

So measure your OEM battery, go to the battery store and buy one of the same size. Job done!

Cheers Mates!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts