Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
124R fits fine, albeit it bit smaller than the OEM. H6 filled the space better, but you pay a little more, but also you get more cranking power. See previous posts.
My question is will then 124R fit in snugly or I need to add some packing material? Also could you provide me with the link to both the batteries.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
743 Posts
124R is not what I would call a snug fit, but certainly better than the 121R. There's still room in the bottom tray. H6 fills out the bottom tray a little better, but still has room as well. If your local Walmart has both in stock, you'll be able to see up close. I also like that the H6 has an integrated handle.

124R: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-Size-124R/28275664

H6: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-h6/16782658

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul 4U
2 Posts
My answers to your questions:
1( Your OEM (Hyundai) battery was manufactured in Korea – no BCI Group Size there. It’s mandatory only for North America battery manufacturers. But the most important OEM battery electrical data are there: CCA 600, RC 110, 68Ah (20hr). For an equal BCI-replacement, you are missing the inner surface dimensions of the battery tray - they are: L 9.6”, W 6.75”.

2( Service Manual battery specs CCA 550, RC 92, 60Ah (20hr) are the minimal values KIA requires for replacement battery for its Souls sold in North America!

3( Electrically equal to your OEM-battery that will fit in Soul battery tray is: BCI 35 Battery: L 9.1”, W 6.9”, H 8.9”.

How I found and how I used this infos:
We own KIA Soul 2011 2.0L, bought second hand in September 2017; under the hood – BCI 121R battery!
In November 2018 we went to CAA Vehicle Inspection Centre – Montreal to get a pre-winter car inspection. They made us a battery replacement offer for CAA Premium 35 Battery, but I didn’t take it – 121R battery test concluded: ~50% health status.

I’m a retired electrician, so I started investigating KIA Soul battery replacement puzzle just in case …
Sure enough, at the end of July 2019 the old 121R battery died completely – this time, the CAA test concluded: ~0% health status; they made us a battery replacement offer, but for CAA Premium 121R-C Battery! Long story short, we initially accepted the “offer” – they installed the new 121R-C battery, they made us sign a Warranty Contract, we paid only for the battery (CAD $186 + Taxes) and we went home.
But then I red the small letters of the Warranty Contract (like a smart person, you know) and I got really mad! Good thing we had 10 days to cancel the Contract and return the battery. So, I immediately started looking online for a BCI 35 replacement battery to buy and get it delivered. At the same time I googled “KIA Soul battery replacement size” and that’s how I found this discussion.

We bought from Costco.ca “Energizer 35 AGM Battery” for CAD $180 + Taxes, delivered to our home in Montreal. The next day (the 9th day since the CAA purchase) we went to CAA centre with our new 35 AGM battery between the seats – we returned CAA 121R battery, got reimbursed for it, and got installed the new 35 AGM battery!
I’m attaching bellow a photo/2019-08-09 of the new replacement 35 AGM battery under the hood of our 2011 KIA Soul 2.0L:

View attachment 131880

Good luck!
Hi georgi, I'm currently looking for a new battery for my 2011 Soul 2.0 L and came across your post - a couple quick questions - how are you finding the Emergizer Max 35-AGM is working in your vehicle? And I've been trying to locate it on Costco.ca and keep getting redirected off-site where it only shows a kirkland 121R battery available in store only. I'm in Ontario so maybe the Emergizer is not available here? Or maybe I need to go and see what they have available in my local store? Thank you for the in-depth information you provided for our year of Soul, very helpful!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hi georgi, I'm currently looking for a new battery for my 2011 Soul 2.0 L and came across your post - a couple quick questions - how are you finding the Emergizer Max 35-AGM is working in your vehicle? And I've been trying to locate it on Costco.ca and keep getting redirected off-site where it only shows a kirkland 121R battery available in store only. I'm in Ontario so maybe the Emergizer is not available here? Or maybe I need to go and see what they have available in my local store? Thank you for the in-depth information you provided for our year of Soul, very helpful!
I have a Duracell 121r (not AGM) from Sam's Club in my 2016 1.6. Functionally, it's fine; but it doesn't fill the tray. I also had to cut and tape the battery insulation pad to make it fit. I don't know if the battery dimensions changed from 2011 to 2016.

I have about a year left on the battery warranty (and probably on its life, as well). Maybe I'll look around and see if there are any better-fitting batteries then. The KIA OEM batteries suck, in my experience, or else I'd just do that. But I'd rather have a poorly-fitting battery that actually works than a good-fitting one that doesn't.

Some companies are recommending Group 48 batteries for Souls now. When the time comes, I'll check that one out, too.

The BCI-35 almost universally comes up as NOT fitting my Soul, which is more of a warranty problem than a practical one. I could buy it and self-install it, but many companies will deny a warranty claim on a battery that they don't recommend for the vehicle. (A few will deny the warranty on self-installs, too.)

Personally, I would install whatever battery the company you buy it from says you should use. That eliminates any potential mismatch issues for warranty purposes; and electrically, as long as the battery is of sufficient capacity across the board, it will be fine.

Richard

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
At least Kia doesn't do like Champion generator. It needed a battery and eventually I found the only one that fits you have to buy from Champion. Would you believe it was priced high? :rolleyes:

I bent 2 sides of the metal battery tray down so I could fit a bigger cheaper battery.
Might not be a good idea in a car.
/hijack.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul 4U
2 Posts
Thank you for the info Richard, l didn't realize that the warranty could be affected by self installation. Something has been up with the electrical system in my car for years, none of the outlets work and just blow fuses if I try to plug anything in after changing the fuse. I've had it looked at several times and been told that what I'm trying to plug in is just trying to use too much power (? It's a car charger for my phone - they seem to work in any other vehicle I've been in!) So hopefully the battery I get won't cause any kind of issue. My original battery lasted just shy of 9 years which is pretty good, and there's been some pretty cold winters in southern Ontario over the past few years (-22 C or so on occasion) and the car has always started fine for me. Hoping I can find a similar battery!
Shirley

·
Registered
1 Posts
My answers to your questions:
1( Your OEM (Hyundai) battery was manufactured in Korea – no BCI Group Size there. It’s mandatory only for North America battery manufacturers. But the most important OEM battery electrical data are there: CCA 600, RC 110, 68Ah (20hr). For an equal BCI-replacement, you are missing the inner surface dimensions of the battery tray - they are: L 9.6”, W 6.75”.

2( Service Manual battery specs CCA 550, RC 92, 60Ah (20hr) are the minimal values KIA requires for replacement battery for its Souls sold in North America!

3( Electrically equal to your OEM-battery that will fit in Soul battery tray is: BCI 35 Battery: L 9.1”, W 6.9”, H 8.9”.

How I found and how I used this infos:
We own KIA Soul 2011 2.0L, bought second hand in September 2017; under the hood – BCI 121R battery!
In November 2018 we went to CAA Vehicle Inspection Centre – Montreal to get a pre-winter car inspection. They made us a battery replacement offer for CAA Premium 35 Battery, but I didn’t take it – 121R battery test concluded: ~50% health status.

I’m a retired electrician, so I started investigating KIA Soul battery replacement puzzle just in case …
Sure enough, at the end of July 2019 the old 121R battery died completely – this time, the CAA test concluded: ~0% health status; they made us a battery replacement offer, but for CAA Premium 121R-C Battery! Long story short, we initially accepted the “offer” – they installed the new 121R-C battery, they made us sign a Warranty Contract, we paid only for the battery (CAD $186 + Taxes) and we went home.
But then I red the small letters of the Warranty Contract (like a smart person, you know) and I got really mad! Good thing we had 10 days to cancel the Contract and return the battery. So, I immediately started looking online for a BCI 35 replacement battery to buy and get it delivered. At the same time I googled “KIA Soul battery replacement size” and that’s how I found this discussion.

We bought from Costco.ca “Energizer 35 AGM Battery” for CAD $180 + Taxes, delivered to our home in Montreal. The next day (the 9th day since the CAA purchase) we went to CAA centre with our new 35 AGM battery between the seats – we returned CAA 121R battery, got reimbursed for it, and got installed the new 35 AGM battery!
I’m attaching bellow a photo/2019-08-09 of the new replacement 35 AGM battery under the hood of our 2011 KIA Soul 2.0L:

View attachment 131880

Good luck!
Hey Hank,

My budget is tight, and I have been offered a 124R SuperStart Premium 700 CCA to get me by for now at least, for $100. Yes it is 2nd hand. I was wondering if that would even fit in the battery rack of a 2012 Kia Soul? I've seen it mentioned one time, but have never found anything else to back that up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Hey Hank,

My budget is tight, and I have been offered a 124R SuperStart Premium 700 CCA to get me by for now at least, for $100. Yes it is 2nd hand. I was wondering if that would even fit in the battery rack of a 2012 Kia Soul? I've seen it mentioned one time, but have never found anything else to back that up.
A 124R fits nicely into a 2nd generation Soul. Can't say for sure if it will fit a 1st generation like yours. Here are the approximate dimensions of a 124R
L x W x H10.30 x 7.00 x 8.60 Inches

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
Hey Hank,

I tried the Advanced Search function and found conversations about Gen 1 batteries. This might be a good place to seek the answers you are looking for:

Search results for query: Replacement battery

Reactions: Hank3

·
Registered
21 Posts
OEM battery in my 2015 Soul died recently. I bought the car new in January 2015, so I got a little over six years out of the battery. Can't complain.

After reading through this entire thread, I picked up the 124R battery from Walmart. Exact same size as the OEM battery in my car, dropped right in. Nice upgrade in capacity, OEM was 550 CCA, the Everstart Maxx is 700 CCA. Positive terminal tightened down ok without shimming. I'm back on the road! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really depends on your climate and situation. I stuck with the 121r which fits fine as the width is essentially the same as well as 550CCA same as stock. The sleeve is too big but can be taped if so desired.

Found this on a substack and was my main concern around the 124r but apparently not really an issue. Seems like either is fine as I haven’t heard 124 guys come back with alternator issues. Also would crank better in cold climates. Also the h6 was too long for my sleeve when I tried in the store.

Secondly, you've got to realise that it doesn't take any more energy to charge up a bigger battery than a smaller battery. That is, provided they have had equal draws. The difference, of course, is that the bigger battery can get uncharged further, resulting in a larger draw on the alternator.
Basically, this means that your alternator will have to work harder to recharge the battery, but simply because the larger battery was able to output more juice. Since the alternator wear is usually due to age, the answer is yes, the bigger battery will wear down your alternator more.
That being said, it probably won't be significant, unless you regularly leave your radio running overnight, because your alternator is always running when the car is running; the only difference is that it will be demanding more current from the alternator to recharge the battery. Therefore, as far as I and my research are concerned, the wear is
Probably insignificant.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Really depends on your climate and situation. I stuck with the 121r which fits fine as the width is essentially the same as well as 550CCA same as stock. The sleeve is too big but can be taped if so desired.

Found this on a substack and was my main concern around the 124r but apparently not really an issue. Seems like either is fine as I haven’t heard 124 guys come back with alternator issues. Also would crank better in cold climates. Also the h6 was too long for my sleeve when I tried in the store.

Secondly, you've got to realise that it doesn't take any more energy to charge up a bigger battery than a smaller battery. That is, provided they have had equal draws. The difference, of course, is that the bigger battery can get uncharged further, resulting in a larger draw on the alternator.
Basically, this means that your alternator will have to work harder to recharge the battery, but simply because the larger battery was able to output more juice. Since the alternator wear is usually due to age, the answer is yes, the bigger battery will wear down your alternator more.
That being said, it probably won't be significant, unless you regularly leave your radio running overnight, because your alternator is always running when the car is running; the only difference is that it will be demanding more current from the alternator to recharge the battery. Therefore, as far as I and my research are concerned, the wear is
Probably insignificant.
Just replaced my original battery with the 124r from Walmart.:unsure: It fit like a glove! Made a long road trip with a dash meter monitor. The charge rate was about the same as the factory original battery. Don't expect this new battery to last as long. It weighs much less for the same size. My battery stress tester reads just a little better. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any one in cold climates have cranking with the 121r? I went with that figured same CCA rating and now it is struggling in this cold and is only two months old. Should have gone 124r mistakes were made. Gonna try and have Walmart let me exchange it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any one in cold climates have cranking with the 121r? I went with that figured same CCA rating and now it is struggling in this cold and is only two months old. Should have gone 124r mistakes were made. Gonna try and have Walmart let me exchange it.
124r does not fit the gen 1 battery tray it misses by about 1/8 inch on the clip for the positive battery cable. 121r is the fit there. For those with stop start stick with the H6 AGM. Also first 121r everstart max died in a month hoping the 2nd one lasts.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have an AGM 'Canada Proof' battery distributed by Canadian Energy on order. 6 others were already on order and are behind schedule. Take one tough pandemic and then add record rainfalls in mid-November that took out many sections of critical highways, and one is faced with delays in re-stocking.

Model: GH6AGM 48/H6, 130 RC, 70 AH, 760 CCA, 950 CA, 7.5 H X 10.9 L X 6.9 W (inches) C$341.99 with core traded in.

I asked about terminal adapters and was told that the terminal adapters on hand are mostly for commercial vehicles but that I can get them at Lordco and other auto part stores. They do have shims on hand if required.

EDIT: I mention the shims because bwdz75 has pointed out that the OE battery posts are 0.4 mm thicker than aftermarket substitutes.

The OE battery in the 2015 Soul failed in December 2020. I trickle-charged it and it worked fine up until about 5 days ago when it failed again. Notice the common feature of cold winter weather? Trickle-charged it and now it seems to be steadily holding 12.6 volts but at 6 years, it is time to retire the OE battery.

If I understand correctly, the OE battery was a sealed gel Maintenance free (sic) battery. This aftermarket AGM replacement should last longer.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I have an AGM 'Canada Proof' battery distributed by Canadian Energy on order. 6 others were already on order and are behind schedule. Take one tough pandemic and then add record rainfalls in mid-November that took out many sections of critical highways, and one is faced with delays in re-stocking.

Model: GH6AGM 48/H6, 130 RC, 70 AH, 760 CCA, 950 CA, 7.5 H X 10.9 L X 6.9 W (inches) C$341.99 with core traded in.

I asked about terminal adapters and was told that the terminal adapters on hand are mostly for commercial vehicles but that I can get them at Lordco and other auto part stores. They do have shims on hand if required.

The OE battery in the 2015 Soul failed in December 2020. I trickle-charged it and it worked fine up until about 5 days ago when it failed again. Notice the common feature of cold winter weather? Trickle-charged it and now it seems to be steadily holding 12.6 volts but at 6 years, it is time to retire the OE battery.

If I understand correctly, the OE battery was a sealed gel Maintenance free (sic) battery. This aftermarket AGM replacement should last longer.
You may not get max life from an AGM battery if your car was not originally equipped with an AGM. AGM batteries have a slightly different charging characteristics than regular lead acid batteries. Most OEM equipped AGM batteries come with a Battery Management System (in the BCM??) with a battery sensor to prevent overcharging /discharging the battery.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Interesting point zerogee, and from the little I know and understand, I suspect that you are correct.

Am running an AGM battery in the 2006 Nissan Xterra. Works reasonably well but occasionally I top it up with a 2 amp trickle charge.

I have read that AGM batteries should be topped up very 4 or 5 days, that older battery management systems tend to undercharge and failure to do so means the battery will only last ~5 years as opposed to 8 to 10 years.

In my 4X4 world, the guys buy battery management setups for dual batteries. Is it possible to purchase and install an aftermarket battery management system for just a single battery?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting point zerogee, and from the little I know and understand, I suspect that you are correct.

Am running an AGM battery in the 2006 Nissan Xterra. Works reasonably well but occasionally I top it up with a 2 amp trickle charge.

I have read that AGM batteries should be topped up very 4 or 5 days, that older battery management systems tend to undercharge and failure to do so means the battery will only last ~5 years as opposed to 8 to 10 years.

In my 4X4 world, the guys buy battery management setups for dual batteries. Is it possible to purchase and install an aftermarket battery management system for just a single battery?
pretty sure AGM has to charge at a lower voltage than flooded. So keep that in mind.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts