Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posting here under General Discussion as I'm not sure if I just experienced a feature, a problem or an alien abduction...

So my Soul is sitting outside for a few hours this evening after a rain, still very humid out and leave to go to the store. I drive maybe 1 mile and stop at a light which happens to be on an incline that is just enough that sometimes the hillside assist kicks in. I have the stereo on moderately loud and I go to take off and CRUNCH. Sounded as if I maybe ran over something with the right front passenger tire...sort of like I crushed some hard plastic in the road. I immediately depress the clutch and stop, then go to take off again and again CRUNCH. But this time I did not stop, kept rolling and slowly built up speed. I took it carefully up to 5th gear with no other obvious symptoms along the way. At the first cross-road I pull over, get out, and can't see any signs of anything wrong. So I turn around and go back to the intersection to see if anything was in the road. No signs of anything.

Anybody have a clue what may have happened? Since I had the stereo moderately loud I did not get great "read" on the situation but something strange definitely happened. Could have been the tires slipping on wet asphalt, the clutch, transmission, engine, brakes, I simply have no idea. Is there anything related to hillside assist that could have caused this?? (I honestly cannot say if hillside assist was actually engaged in this instance because I was more paying attention to the stereo than worrying if hillside assist was engaged)

Whatever it was, it did not sound or "feel" healthy at all ..... any insight or theories appreciated....or if there is anything I maybe should be checking or testing please let me know.

Sonic

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
possibly the ESC trying to engage due to slippage from the road conditions - because in both cases you said it was when you were taking off. Need to check the lights on the dash when this happens again, that might tell you what maybe happening.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Do not wait for it to happen. Get out on wet slippery roads and try out some where quiet. For ABS dry road try emergency braking when no one behind you so you know what the sounds are without looking at dash and you will find out how much pressure is needed before you are depending on electrical assistance.

Jeff

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this was related to ABS it wasn't just ABS alone, there was some other element involved because I've felt the ABS a few times and it creates sort of a .... vibration/jitter effect, but not quite the crunch/grind sound I heard. Then again, I've never experienced ABS on wet pavement from a start position before either. So Conwelpic am I clear that you suggesting maybe front tire slippage upon take off might cause ABS to engage?

Could it also be the hillside assist did not disengage and I therefore ended up taking off while the computer still had some of the brakes engaged?? I often wondered what would happen in this instance. Previously I always waited for the assist to disengage before taking off. However, as I said in the original description, this time I had the stereo on and was not paying attention to hillside assist being engaged or not, so it is possible it was engaged and I started to take off before it disengaged.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
Hey Sonic, waiting for hillside assist to disengage is basically defeating the whole purpose of it. You are using it as a "rollback delay" and then letting the clutch out. Not the way it's intended to be used.

So you may have heard the disc pads disengage & maybe dropped the clutch a little? Have you had any other problems since this has happened? It may have just been a one time event. You may even have crunched a small road obstruction at the same time. It could be concurrent events (and maybe even enhanced by a sound from the loud radio..haha!)

If you have no dash lights and no other signs of a problem, like grinding or braking irregularities, I'd probably not worry too much but remain aware that it happened.

Best of luck........I hate care mysteries too!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
If this was related to ABS it wasn't just ABS alone, there was some other element involved because I've felt the ABS a few times and it creates sort of a .... vibration/jitter effect, but not quite the crunch/grind sound I heard. Then again, I've never experienced ABS on wet pavement from a start position before either. So Conwelpic am I clear that you suggesting maybe front tire slippage upon take off might cause ABS to engage?
read post #4 again, I never even mentioned ABS, that's for braking and you said it happened when you took off, that's why I mentioned ESC.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I mentioned abs because with my size 12 boots I can often be pressing on the brake and accelerator at the same time in small vehicles with a manual transmission. If your left foot is busy on the clutch and the side of your right shoe is pressing on the brake while accelerating the abs controller will activate, and it makes that crunching sound you referred to. I haven't had the chance to drive a manual soul yet so im not sure if that would be an issue, but I couldn't wear work boots and drive my metro or my loyale for that reason, the pedals were just to damn close together for large footwear so I had to have sneakers to swap into after work.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I mentioned abs because with my size 12 boots I can often be pressing on the brake and accelerator at the same time in small vehicles with a manual transmission. If your left foot is busy on the clutch and the side of your right shoe is pressing on the brake while accelerating the abs controller will activate, and it makes that crunching sound you referred to. I haven't had the chance to drive a manual soul yet so im not sure if that would be an issue, but I couldn't wear work boots and drive my metro or my loyale for that reason, the pedals were just to damn close together for large footwear so I had to have sneakers to swap into after work.
Ha! Funny you mention that, I have noticed the same phenomenon. Oddly enough, I never had that problem in my Miata with my work boots on.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hmm...well, it is really unlikely I was hitting the brake and accelerator, especially twice in a row. However, doesn't this paradigm sort of fit the hillside assist theory I had?? Maybe the computer wasn't fast enough to let up on the assist so when I hit the accelerator it was basically the same effect as hitting the brake at the same time, thereby causing the problem? Admittedly it does seem however if that were the case there would be a lot more Soul owners reporting this weirdness. One thing I was also doing when taking off that I forgot to mention was holding down the odometer button trying to get the flippin' temperature readout to switch back to Fahrenheit. Maybe as a result the computer was a bit slow to react to releasing the hillside assist when I took off.. :confused:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wouldnt think that should be an issue (odometer button), usually separate systems for things like the dash, engine management, abs and so on. Your dash can go out completely and everything else can still work, abs can go out and car will still run fine and everything else will function normally. Hill assist in my Loyale was entirely mechanical, not sure how the one on the Soul works.

If its controlled electronically through the braking system, maybe it registered the brakes as being on and actuated the abs. Easy to re-create, find a place on a hill a bit wet or with loose gravel and give it a little to much throttle while slipping the clutch out. If the hill assist is active and you can break a tire loose and it does it again that may be the issue, just the abs registering as the brakes being pushed (because of hill assist) and one wheel is slipping at the same time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts