Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Soul EX undercover green w/ grey interior
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since purchase I have been using wix 51334XP filters for my oil changes. Today I went on Amazon and it is l no longer a product that it recommended or approved by amazon for 3rd gens. Does amazon know something that the actual part stores don't?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s probably just an Amazon error. The WIX website says it fits just fine.

View attachment 138344
Thats my thinking as well but every now and then there are issues that big companies find out about before the general public gets word. Its a cover their 6 tactic.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thats my thinking as well but every now and then there are issues that big companies find out about before the general public gets word. Its a cover their 6 tactic.
If you’re concerned, Walmart usually sells the blue OEM Hyundai/Kia filter. Last time I bought one it was about $7.50 so it’s reasonably priced. It’s also made by the makers of WIX, Mann + Hummel.

Reactions: THECLARKFAM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you’re concerned, Walmart usually sells the blue OEM Hyundai/Kia filter. Last time I bought one it was about $7.50 so it’s reasonably priced. It’s also made by the makers of WIX, Mann + Hummel.
I will look into that. I have struck out before at my local Wally marts since most of them suck in socal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So many 3rd parties have been kicked off Amazon. Honestly, you don't know whether it's real or fake. I buy my filters locally from an auto parts store, where I dispose of my oil. I like Purolator one oil filters it filters down to 5 microns.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
According to a Service Bulletin put out by KIA, whether it 'fits' is not the problem with NON OEM filters.
They don't have the special valve that assures that the Variable Valve Timing gets the proper oil pressure.
That may not be the exact wording, but it's close.
I've been doing this since 2012 and somewhere along the line I heard that if you take a blown engine in to a KIA Dealership and it has a NON Genuine KIA oil filter in it, you just bought a new engine. Your warranty is Void.

I've never understood this preoccupation with brand X filters. Genuine KIA filters are available for ~$7 at any KIA or Hyundai dealer. Then you have the assurance that your very valuable Warranty is protected.

Rectangle Font Material property Electric blue Magenta

Most KIA Dealers, the better ones anyway, provide a new Crush Washer with every filter.

Helmet Liquid Font Gas Engineering

I noticed that the filter material in the KIA Filter is thicker than that in the Aftermarket filter.
Using anything but a Genuine KIA Oil Filter, could seriously impact the vehicles performance.
Maybe that's why so many guys have complained about poor performance.

I've just received my last oil change, by contract, from my KIA Dealer. They used Castrol GTX 5W20 oil, and a KIA filter. That's exactly what I'll use when I start doing my own oil changes, in 2022. I already have the filter.
And, that's exactly what I used in my last Soul, that I had for six years.
Table Wood Kitchen appliance Gas Recreation

Wishing you all a great Thanksgiving,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,049 Posts
From the TSB:
February 2012
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: 114
AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS
During engine research & development, the mechanical engine lubrication system is designed to operate at specific volumes and pressures to keep the reciprocating & rotary components properly lubricated. Kia has assigned specific guidelines for the use of oil filters (Cartridge / Spin-on) and oil viscosity to conform to; filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations, and to keep the lubrication system at optimal performance. The use of aftermarket oil filters / o-rings / improper oil viscosities could result in less than optimal filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations due to different oil filter designs and construction. Some of the symptoms and concerns that may arise with aftermarket filters / wrong oil viscosities include but are not limited to:
• Valve Train Noise
• Low Oil Pressure With Warning Light On
• Engine Knocking Noise
Kia does not test or approve any aftermarket filters and only recommends the use of Kia genuine parts that are designed to operate at the specifications set forth during engine lubrication design and testing. If the engine oil has been changed recently and a noise condition has developed, perform an inspection of the oil filter and or Customer oil change maintenance records to help you in determining if an aftermarket filter or the wrong oil viscosity was used. If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket oil filter, perform an oil change and filter using the correct oil grade / viscosity and a replacement genuine Kia oil filter at the customer’s expense. It is always best to use the electronic parts catalog, search by VIN to obtain the correct oil filter P/N; this will avoid confusion and possible engine damage. Note: Customer concerns as a result of incorrect oil viscosity or use of aftermarket oil filter should not be treated as a warranty repair and any related damage is not warrantable, nor is changing the engine oil and filter to isolate this condition.

·
Registered
482 Posts
From the TSB:
February 2012
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: 114
AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS
During engine research & development, the mechanical engine lubrication system is designed to operate at specific volumes and pressures to keep the reciprocating & rotary components properly lubricated. Kia has assigned specific guidelines for the use of oil filters (Cartridge / Spin-on) and oil viscosity to conform to; filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations, and to keep the lubrication system at optimal performance. The use of aftermarket oil filters / o-rings / improper oil viscosities could result in less than optimal filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations due to different oil filter designs and construction. Some of the symptoms and concerns that may arise with aftermarket filters / wrong oil viscosities include but are not limited to:
• Valve Train Noise
• Low Oil Pressure With Warning Light On
• Engine Knocking Noise
Kia does not test or approve any aftermarket filters and only recommends the use of Kia genuine parts that are designed to operate at the specifications set forth during engine lubrication design and testing. If the engine oil has been changed recently and a noise condition has developed, perform an inspection of the oil filter and or Customer oil change maintenance records to help you in determining if an aftermarket filter or the wrong oil viscosity was used. If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket oil filter, perform an oil change and filter using the correct oil grade / viscosity and a replacement genuine Kia oil filter at the customer’s expense. It is always best to use the electronic parts catalog, search by VIN to obtain the correct oil filter P/N; this will avoid confusion and possible engine damage. Note: Customer concerns as a result of incorrect oil viscosity or use of aftermarket oil filter should not be treated as a warranty repair and any related damage is not warrantable, nor is changing the engine oil and filter to isolate this condition.
A while back the FTC told Hyundai and Kia they can’t mandate use of their OEM filter or decline warranty for using an aftermarket filter unless they can demonstrate it directly caused the problem.

That said, the OEM filter is well constructed and reasonably priced and that’s what I use. But if I can’t find one or they go up in price I’d have no problem using one of the filters mentioned in this thread.

h/t
Adhesive Automotive tire Wood Household hardware Font

Musical instrument Light Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Folk instrument

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,049 Posts
I agree, stick with factory oil filters. That way if you have engine problems, you won't have to go through a bunch of crap about warranty.
Agreed. Why tempt fate?

It's a fine line where you CAN use a third party oil filter, but if KIA says that it resulted in damage to the engine, the waters get murky real fast.

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I agree, stick with factory oil filters. That way if you have engine problems, you won't have to go through a bunch of crap about warranty.
My sentiments exactly! Why risk a breakdown, then with your car being out of action, and tied up in a court case for months, while you ????
It's so much sweeter to just follow the Manufacturers Instructions, then if there is an engine problem, they are legally bound, without court action, to take care of it. It's called "Peace of mind".

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day, for all you Yankees (US Citizens).
And I want to wish you all a very Good one.
Art Font Happy Event Creative arts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thank you GeoSoul,

That's exactly the TSB I was looking for, but couldn't find. I have it now!

They must have thought it pretty important, to put it out in a TSB. Because the Gen-3, 2.0L engine is a very
special little engine. Even more so than the Gen-1's or Gen-2's.
I'll do whatever they say, because I'm just a Po' Boy, and I can't afford to buy a new engine!

It's unfortunate that so few drivers really know what's under their hood! Or do they care. :cry:
It's a 2.0L, Atkinson Cycle, four cylinder, 16 valve, dual overhead cam, electronic Ignition, Fuel injected, engine, incorporating Variable Valve timing. It's as close to NASCAR or Le Mons as most of us will ever get.

So I hope y'all will forgive my exuberance in wanting to maintain my car in the very best condition I can.
:cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
According to a Service Bulletin put out by KIA, whether it 'fits' is not the problem with NON OEM filters.
They don't have the special valve that assures that the Variable Valve Timing gets the proper oil pressure.
That may not be the exact wording, but it's close.
I've been doing this since 2012 and somewhere along the line I heard that if you take a blown engine in to a KIA Dealership and it has a NON Genuine KIA oil filter in it, you just bought a new engine. Your warranty is Void.

I've never understood this preoccupation with brand X filters. Genuine KIA filters are available for ~$7 at any KIA or Hyundai dealer. Then you have the assurance that your very valuable Warranty is protected.

View attachment 138349
Most KIA Dealers, the better ones anyway, provide a new Crush Washer with every filter.

View attachment 138350
I noticed that the filter material in the KIA Filter is thicker than that in the Aftermarket filter.
Using anything but a Genuine KIA Oil Filter, could seriously impact the vehicles performance.
Maybe that's why so many guys have complained about poor performance.

I've just received my last oil change, by contract, from my KIA Dealer. They used Castrol GTX 5W20 oil, and a KIA filter. That's exactly what I'll use when I start doing my own oil changes, in 2022. I already have the filter.
And, that's exactly what I used in my last Soul, that I had for six years.
View attachment 138351

Wishing you all a great Thanksgiving,
FLH :cool:
My biggest concern is people who buy auto parts online from places liked eBay, Alibaba, & Wish. Who sells cheap knockoff 3 world auto parts. There are even parts that are marked OEM parts of poor quality. Aftermarket replacement parts will not void your new car’s warranty. However, modifying or tuning your car might run afoul of your car’s warranty coverage. Here’s what you need to know. Warranties on consumer products are governed in the U.S. by a Federal statute known as the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law ( 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq. ). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty (it may be sold "as is"), but if it does have a warranty, the warranty must comply with this law.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Got my 1st free oil change at the dealership last week. Let the service writer know up front that I was a retired auto tech, very picky about my vehicle. Told him ( in a nice way) that I expected anything they do , I expected it to be done right. Including the oil level exactly on the full mark. No problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will start looking around for a kia/hyundai filter after a lot of really good evidence and advice displayed. My Walmart was a bust so I will be heading to the dealership soon.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Got my 1st free oil change at the dealership last week. Let the service writer know up front that I was a retired auto tech, very picky about my vehicle. Told him ( in a nice way) that I expected anything they do , I expected it to be done right. Including the oil level exactly on the full mark. No problems.
I've gotten to the point to number my tires with tire chalk & a picture. To let them know how I want them rotated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts