Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had the car for a few months now, and fuel economy has steadily increased.

just finished up my first tank of summer, clocking in at 9.76L/100km (24.1 mpg). decent, if a bit surprising, as there was a frustrating hour of backed-up/very slow moving traffic in there, and very little highway driving. Chevron Regular.

with winter mixes, all Shell, the best tank was 10.08L/100km (23.3 mpg) and the worst 11.99L/100km (19.6 mpg, in February)

with regards to gas mixes, is this range of performance typical for Souls? with Turbo/DCTs? what have you experienced with the change in mix?

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
663 Posts
I can't speak to turbo or DCT, but those sound a little better than what I typically see with a 2015 1.6L AT. But it's probably warmer there and my Soul prefers warm weather (or summer gas). If it's summer all-highway I'll see low 30's mpg (~8L/100km).

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Best I ever got on the highway with the 1.6 AT is 38 MPG. Around town is more like 22-24, depending how many times I can take the freeway and not get stuck in backed up traffic. Funny but the 2.0 is about the same around town. Mind you I poke so there is little heavy foot driving. On the freeway, best I have gotten with a MPI is 32 MPG and 31 MPG with the GDI version. All these are floor numbers, accurate enough for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you may experience both an increase in mileage as the engine breaks in, and with summer gas.

Another car I have, with direct injection and a turbo, gets about 10% better mileage on summer gas than winter gas.

And my Soul, a 2019 1.6L GDI manual trans, with about 2400 miles, is improving. I have not calculated the last couple fill ups yet, but it has picked up 2+ mpg since bringing it home with 24 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd tank of summer mix got me 9.59 l/100km or 24.52 mpg

so mileage is improving a bit. curiously though, i drove the entire last tank in Sport Mode.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I seem to be getting 3-4 mpg more lately.
I am not a pokey driver, but I don't put the hammer down that often.
Usually keep to 80 or so on the freeway, which is just keeping up with traffic, if it is moving.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I get infinity miles to the gallon with fuel from work or the local store that gives it away for free.
At home fueling I get between 93-125 MPG depending on time of year/gasoline cost.
The most expensive fuel I ever put in was around 33 MPG and that was when gasoline was $2.00/gallon.
The EVs electricity has an origination cost...
Also the necessity to dispose/replace batteries...
And the limited recharge stations...
And the time required to recharge...

But,
It works for what you need it for,
And that makes it the best choice for you.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts
I get infinity miles to the gallon with fuel from work or the local store that gives it away for free.
At home fueling I get between 93-125 MPG depending on time of year/gasoline cost.
The most expensive fuel I ever put in was around 33 MPG and that was when gasoline was $2.00/gallon.
Blah Blah Blah Blah

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
663 Posts
I seem to be getting 3-4 mpg more lately.
I am not a pokey driver, but I don't put the hammer down that often.
Usually keep to 80 or so on the freeway, which is just keeping up with traffic, if it is moving.

You don't indicate what year/model you've got, but I find that mpg peaks at around 60 mph and starts dropping above that. Doesn't stop me from driving faster, but I'm aware that I'm giving up a couple of mpg to do it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You don't indicate what year/model you've got, but I find that mpg peaks at around 60 mph and starts dropping above that. Doesn't stop me from driving faster, but I'm aware that I'm giving up a couple of mpg to do it.

Good point. Updated my profile. 2014 Soul+.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
had the car for a few months now, and fuel economy has steadily increased.

just finished up my first tank of summer, clocking in at 9.76L/100km (24.1 mpg). decent, if a bit surprising, as there was a frustrating hour of backed-up/very slow moving traffic in there, and very little highway driving. Chevron Regular.

with winter mixes, all Shell, the best tank was 10.08L/100km (23.3 mpg) and the worst 11.99L/100km (19.6 mpg, in February)

with regards to gas mixes, is this range of performance typical for Souls? with Turbo/DCTs? what have you experienced with the change in mix?
You must spend a lot of time poking around in traffic. I'll have to check my Fuelly, not sure I've ever gotten mpg that low.

I find if I run long in SPORT or whatever mode they call it, MPG plummets pretty reliably. ECO works marginally on my '17, it didn't seem to have any effect on my '15 2.0 or '13 1.6, both automatics.

Check Fuelly for comps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You must spend a lot of time poking around in traffic. I'll have to check my Fuelly, not sure I've ever gotten mpg that low.
truth. probably 80% city, 20% highway.

fuelly shows that most SX Turbos / !'s are clocking better averages than i am, but the last two tanks are starting to move me towards middle of the pack.

overall though, in the first five months of ownership, as you can see from my sig, it's a bit of a gas guzzler.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't speak to the turbo but my gas mileage is all over the place depending on temps and city/highway. If I remember right I've gone from 18 (Sub zero and short trips) to 34 something ( straight highway in hot weather). For the milage I'm also talking about gallons in and miles gone, then do the math. The onboard ave mpg is a bit optimistic. I've a 2016 2.0 and it seems to like warm weather much better. I'm talking about gas mileage, it runs fine.
My brother in law commented when I bought the Soul, You should get more than 40 mpg with this. I replied, only in my dreams. I tell people if you are looking for a gas mileage king, this ain't it.

Contrary to what you might be thinking, I do love the car. I just am aware of it's limitations.

So that's my 2 cents, anywho.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,415 Posts
Crickets..........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts