Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Soul ownership and a big question in my mind is how is going to be in the snow. Just looking for advice on weather or not to install winter tires. My GT has 18" rims that are great for handling but probably not the best for snow and I know that taller tires tend to work better for winter driving so I was thinking to maybe get 16 or 17" rims. My question is what are others using and how well does the car do in bad weather. Not even sure if I can go with smaller rims because the GT has bigger diameter brakes than the other models.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
generally whatever is listed in rim/tire sizes at the back of your owners manual will fit on any model of Soul.

The 2.0L GT-line has the same size wheel/tire as the GT turbo but has smaller brake size. As the 2020 model has not been available when the snow was on the ground, so will be hard for anyone to comment on how well it will do, but it shouldn't be much different than any G2 version.

I have 18" rims but I've never used snow tires, but have no problems in winter, but then I'm retired so if it's bad I just don't drive. :joyous:

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I'm new to Soul ownership and a big question in my mind is how is going to be in the snow. Just looking for advice on weather or not to install winter tires. My GT has 18" rims that are great for handling but probably not the best for snow and I know that taller tires tend to work better for winter driving so I was thinking to maybe get 16 or 17" rims. My question is what are others using and how well does the car do in bad weather. Not even sure if I can go with smaller rims because the GT has bigger diameter brakes than the other models.
OP, where are you with your winter tires?
I never used winter tires until we lived in the Pac NW, where locally some roads didn't get plowed and they got packed into pure ice. I bought a set or Bridgestone REVO1 (no longer made unfortunately) which were like night and day. I've been using winter tires on my wife's and my cars ever since.

A tire store can tell you if a 16" rim will clear, my experience with dealers is some know and some know nothing and will take a stab or try to sell you something. I'd go with 16s myself, the narrower the tire, the better for winter driving. Otherwise 17s. Good luck this winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts