Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our 2020 Soul S windshield broken from a flying chunk of metal, source of the metal unknown. So it appears a windshield replacement may require re-calibrating the camera system. I did some searching and new car safety technology (advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) ) complicates some repairs and increases cost. Has anyone had a windshield replacement done yet? It seems like my comprehensive insurance should cover the recalibration if required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had a 2017 Sportage EX (traded in for a 2020 Soul EX) with all the technology stuff on it and a rock did break the windshield. We used a nationally recognized windshield company to replace the windshield and they did talk about having to re-calibrate something in that windshield, but they were able to do it there and not take it to a Kia dealer (closest one is 2 1/2 hours away). All worked fine after the replacement. Also, someone backed into the passenger front door and in having to have that door fixed, the mirror had to come off and then because of the lane change feature (showing a vehicle in your blind spot), it had to go to the dealer to re-calibrate that. Both of these separate incidents were covered by our auto insurance as part of the repair...all one claim, not a separate claim for one part and the dealer to re-calibrate for the other part.
Also had a 16 Optima SXL and that had the surround camera system. A rock broke the little tiny camera in the front grill and when replaced, that also had to be re-calibrated...all part of one claim once again.
Check with your agent...if it's a local agent they should be able to help you. If it's an 800 phone number insurance company, good luck.
Anyway, that was our experience

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
763 Posts
ONLY your insurance company can answer that for you. Call your agent.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had my Stinger's windshield replaced. It required to be replaced at the dealership lot so that the camera could be re-calibrated. All of that was covered under insurance - minus my deductible. BTW - The Stingers glass cost $1500!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Just curious....WHAT Camera?
My car has only a Backup camera, and that has nothing to do with the windshield.

:cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your Soul has Lane Keeping Assist, you have a camera looking through the windsNiels.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
11 Posts
I‘ve had the windshield replaced on my 2020 GT Line IVT with LKA, unfortunately.

My insurance paid for both the windshield and the re-calibration. But, indeed, the insurance company told me up front that I’d have to get a separate quote on my own from a KIA dealership for the re-calibration prior to any recalibration work. So it was a little more work than I’d have liked.

Apparently my insurance company’s preferred windshield replacement provider (a chain store) doesn’t have access to the 2020 Kia Soul calibration codes (or whatever) even though this store advertises that they can do re-calibration for some models. And, indeed, this turned out correct because when the “chain store” guy did the replacement he told me that I’d need to separately go to a dealership to recalibrate the windshield/camera.

fwiw... very glad I had full glass coverage because the invoices were (I think) about $650 for the windshield/install and About $225 for the Kia dealsership to re-calibrate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife’s 2017 RDX with tech package has a crack that’s too large to repair. Our insurance is stating they will not cover a replacement with OEM glass. I’ve heard that 1) you need to get the camera(s) recalibrated after replacing the windshield and 2) the dealers won’t recalibrate if you have aftermarket glass. Anyone out there with knowledge or experience in this area? Do third parties recalibrate with aftermarket glass?

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts