Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 13 Soul in July. This is the first winter I've had her, and this was the first time our area has put salt on our roads. I was surprised to see that I ran out of fluid in just a few days!

So I went to buy a new bottle ... and promptly poured half of it on the ground!

I called the dealer and made an appointment, but he basically told me that if it was broken because I hit something, it would not be covered under warranty.

I have a feeling I will leave the dealer and head straight to Helpful Mechanic. Because if this is not a warranty repair, I'm having a hard time understanding why I should pay the dealer $100 to do what Helpful Mechanic will happily do for $50 or less ...

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Sounds like BS to me. I agree, I will not pay a dealer to repair something that he should be covering anyway. Call KIA and see what they say but if in a hurry, replacing a water bottle for the fluid system is not a difficult job. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
So I bought my 13 Soul in July. This is the first winter I've had her, and this was the first time our area has put salt on our roads. I was surprised to see that I ran out of fluid in just a few days!

So I went to buy a new bottle ... and promptly poured half of it on the ground!

I called the dealer and made an appointment, but he basically told me that if it was broken because I hit something, it would not be covered under warranty.

I have a feeling I will leave the dealer and head straight to Helpful Mechanic. Because if this is not a warranty repair, I'm having a hard time understanding why I should pay the dealer $100 to do what Helpful Mechanic will happily do for $50 or less ...
So have you identified the problem? Is the Washer Fluid Reservoir cracked?
You can fix it yourself with a tube of RTV Silicone sealant. I would!
That stuff is the Greatest!

The LARGE Tube: I used for fixing the frond end of my car, where it was rattling.

Good Luck,
:cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just discovered the issue today. Did I mention that it is somewhere between 10 and 30 degrees all the time in Ohio?

Helpful Mechanic said to have them diagnose it, but don't pay them anything! And bring it by if they have to charge me.

I'll go to the Kia dealership for anything that maintenance, or anything under warranty, but anything that is on my dime, I'm not obligated to use them.

Meanwhile, I can't clean my windows and they continue to toss salt on our roads.

I used one of those spray washers to clean the crap off my car because I couldn't stand it anymore .... and I wonder if that was the problem that cracked it?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I just discovered the issue today. Did I mention that it is somewhere between 10 and 30 degrees all the time in Ohio?

Helpful Mechanic said to have them diagnose it, but don't pay them anything! And bring it by if they have to charge me.

I'll go to the Kia dealership for anything that maintenance, or anything under warranty, but anything that is on my dime, I'm not obligated to use them.

Meanwhile, I can't clean my windows and they continue to toss salt on our roads.

I used one of those spray washers to clean the crap off my car because I couldn't stand it anymore .... and I wonder if that was the problem that cracked it?
I think helpful mechanic gave you sound advice. The dealer didn't say it wouldn't be covered. He said it wouldn't be covered if you hit something. That doesn't seem especially likely, given the reservoir's position.

It's possible that you got a crappy batch of wiper fluid and it froze. It's happened to me a few times, although it never caused any damage.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I think helpful mechanic gave you sound advice. The dealer didn't say it wouldn't be covered. He said it wouldn't be covered if you hit something. That doesn't seem especially likely, given the reservoir's position.

It's possible that you got a crappy batch of wiper fluid and it froze. It's happened to me a few times, although it never caused any damage.
I dunno, they are right out there in the front just behind the bumper and right in front of the wheel. If you run over something perhaps like a big snow chunk and rolls up under there, it could easily break the bottom of the reservoir.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/28-aft...uestions-about-replacing-horn.html#post140056

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The snow chunks aren't THAT big in Ohio, but maybe there was something in the road. I think I would have noticed that, though.

If the wiper fluid is crappy, it's on them. They provided said fluid.

It's possible that the stream of water from the spray wash could have caused it to freeze. Possible, but not too likely. It was below freezing that day but not sub-zero.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
if poor rated washer fluid was in the container and froze and caused a crack then its not a warranty claim.

If you get down on the ground and look up where its located you can see the bottom of the container, that's how I got this shot

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Soulsister look for water running as some one tops up. The plastic is strong unless attacked by something sharp.
If the leak is not in exposed position and you have never topped up washer bottle then should not have frozen or hit. so warranty should not be an issue. But they did right thing warning you.
In UK it is illegal to drive with empty washer bottle and would get points on licence if discovered. so repair by warranty should be classed with priority.

Jeff

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it warmed up here in Ohio and what do you know? The fluid works again!

I haven't tried to pour the rest of the bottle in there just yet.

And I still can't seem to figure out the back washer to save my life ....

So I think I'm going to keep that appointment

·
Registered
564 Posts
A brand new washer bottle is $25.00 from any Kia dealer. Pretty cheap, if you do end up needed one......................

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
Well it warmed up here in Ohio and what do you know? The fluid works again!

I haven't tried to pour the rest of the bottle in there just yet.

And I still can't seem to figure out the back washer to save my life ....

So I think I'm going to keep that appointment
it certainly sounds like its just summer washer fluid. What's the problem with the back washer?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I knew the water bottle was big. But not so big to hang down for something to hit it.

Some sealer should work

Use a good washer fluid

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I need to know ... does the fluid leak out if the reservoir is overfilled?

Because it still has liquid in it and yet .... it still leaks out when I try to pour from my bottle of GOOD fluid.

I just had an oil change last month and though it was warm in Ohio, you would think they'd know to put the orange stuff in my car and not the cheapie blue fluid in December!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it certainly sounds like its just summer washer fluid. What's the problem with the back washer?
The problem is nobody bothered to tell me it existed or how to work it! Push in for front, pull out for back. Should be simple but ....

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
Well I need to know ... does the fluid leak out if the reservoir is overfilled?

Because it still has liquid in it and yet .... it still leaks out when I try to pour from my bottle of GOOD fluid.

I just had an oil change last month and though it was warm in Ohio, you would think they'd know to put the orange stuff in my car and not the cheapie blue fluid in December!
it will only pour out of the filler neck if you overfill it. :sneakiness:

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
The problem is nobody bothered to tell me it existed or how to work it! Push in for front, pull out for back. Should be simple but ....
you really shouldn't have to be told about it, just a check around your vehicle would tell you and reading your owners manual on page 4/66-68 explains all about it and how to use it. And just in case you didn't know the front washer container does supply the rear, there is no separate washer container for it. :sneakiness:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so I talked to my service advisor.
He tells me that they would probably dump it out and refill but he implied that it would cost a lot of money because they'd have to take the fender wall out to do that.
Oh and it does leak from the neck because I tried to overfill it. He said that an O-Ring might have been displaced because of the freezing.

So I decided I am going to do my level best to empty this thing out. In other words, wash the windows (front and back) every chance I get. Then I will replace the cheap blue stuff with orange ... hopefully before the next deep freeze.

Oh and for those who are going to jump on me for not reading my owners manual ... every other car I've driven is self-explanatory! This is the newest car I have ever owned in my life, unless you count the 95 that I bought in 95! I'm not used to cars having a back windshield, let alone a windshield washer.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I dont think that color is important. You can find quality washer fluid in blue, green, pink, purple, orange, and yellow. Whats important is does it have the temperature rating for your conditions. Then, does it have other properties you want too. Like deicing, or water shedding, or non smearing, or cleans bug and road grime.

Also, don't use cooling system antifreeze for the washer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts