Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hmmm, a loaded Niro EV with the cold weather package which adds $3k is $42k so not sure how one even gets up to 58k, think your dealer has some crazy markup on them.
I have seen area Kia dealers adding “Market adjustment” from $1,000 up to $6,000 on some models. This should be illegal. I wonder if Kia America has some sort of policy against dealer price gouging? I reported this particular dealer to Kia, but they probably won’t care.

They are not alone though, here is a Toyota dealer in California selling a RAV4 for almost $100k. I want some of the crack this dealer is smoking.

Font Material property Gas Design Advertising

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well, that's what was on the window sticker. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it. Maybe it comes with a stuffed bikini! This IS Florida, after all. Of course, there's always the list of "Dealer Added Options".
I did get close enough to read the sticker, and then I quickly backed away. Talk about "Sticker Shock".
:cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, that's what was on the window sticker. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it. Maybe it comes with a stuffed bikini! This IS Florida, after all. Of course, there's always the list of "Dealer Added Options".
I did get close enough to read the sticker, and then I quickly backed away. Talk about "Sticker Shock".
:cool:
The one I object to is the dealer added markup of $40k. The others say optional. If anyone is stupid enough to pay that much for a rav4 then they deserve it.

Reactions: nevets2968

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Have a friend at a Ford dealership, they got some new special edition Bronco in and the guys had a contract to buy it alike 60k. My friends dealership offered him $30k cash to not take it as they had buyers lined for $100k for it.
It is a strange market we're in. As of Friday my dealership had 3 new cars on the lot probably none after Saturday. When a truck comes in with cars they're usually already sold or will be later that day unless it's some super basic version of a model that nobody wants.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,056 Posts
The one I object to is the dealer added markup of $40k. The others say optional. If anyone is stupid enough to pay that much for a rav4 then they deserve it.
I think the RAV4 Prime has developed a hysterical following at the moment. The redesign + hybrid checks alot of the "gotta have" boxes right now for Toyota-philes. They can add to the economy in a bigger way and sleep better at night knowing they bought an environmentally friendly SUV.

• Wow
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Have a friend at a Ford dealership, they got some new special edition Bronco in and the guys had a contract to buy it alike 60k. My friends dealership offered him $30k cash to not take it as they had buyers lined for $100k for it.
It is a strange market we're in. As of Friday my dealership had 3 new cars on the lot probably none after Saturday. When a truck comes in with cars they're usually already sold or will be later that day unless it's some super basic version of a model that nobody wants.
I traded my 2020 Soul GT-line LTD on Sept 3rd, Ultra low mileage and totally unmarked. It is still sitting on the dealers lot. My 2016 Soul SX Lux that I traded against the 2020 was gone in 3 days.

Pat.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
While I was at my dealer, for an oil change, this past week, I had time to check out the line up of used Souls.
Would you believe 16 used Souls, mostly Gen-2, and several 2020's, all in one line, along the side of the lot.
I think they are trying to corner the market on used KIA Souls. They keep trying to get mine. NO WAY JOSEY!
They would have to pry my keys out of my cold dead hands. (that sounds familiar, Eh?)

But, if I won the lottery, I'd buy up all the 2020's and hand them out to needy friends, like party favors. If it's not been damaged, it's a great little car.

I may not be here by Thanksgiving, so let me take this opportunity to wish you all a very....

Phasianidae Galliformes Art Painting Illustration
Happy Thanksgiving!

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I wonder if Kia America has some sort of policy against dealer price gouging? I reported this particular dealer to Kia, but they probably won’t care.
Kia responded to my concern of dealer price gouging. I kind of expected this response. Oh well. At least they were very polite.

“Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Kia America. We appreciate your feedback, and we are terribly sorry to hear these concerns in reference to your experience with XXXXXXXXXXXX Kia. The Kia dealerships are independently owned and operated, so they are able to set their own pricing on each vehicle as they see fit. As the manufacturer, we simply recommend the MSRP as published on www.kia.com.

Although we cannot modify their pricing, we do value your feedback and take these complaints seriously. Please understand your feedback will be documented on file here at headquarters and forwarded to the appropriate dealer personnel for review.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Kia Consumer Assistance Center at (800) 333-4542 and refer to your case number and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for again for your feedback!

Sincerely,
Kia America”

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
251 Posts
Kia responded to my concern of dealer price gouging. I kind of expected this response. Oh well. At least they were very polite.

“Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Kia America. We appreciate your feedback, and we are terribly sorry to hear these concerns in reference to your experience with XXXXXXXXXXXX Kia. The Kia dealerships are independently owned and operated, so they are able to set their own pricing on each vehicle as they see fit. As the manufacturer, we simply recommend the MSRP as published on www.kia.com.

Although we cannot modify their pricing, we do value your feedback and take these complaints seriously. Please understand your feedback will be documented on file here at headquarters and forwarded to the appropriate dealer personnel for review.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Kia Consumer Assistance Center at (800) 333-4542 and refer to your case number and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for again for your feedback!

Sincerely,
Kia America”
Cookie cutter Response

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I wouldn't call it gouging, just supply and demand. It has been quite common for dealers to have mark up on cars in short supply or special edition models, guess today that just means pretty much all models. Oh well, I think we have to see it both ways, many on here have bragged about getting more for their used car then they paid originally and we don't consider that gouging just market supply and demand.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I wouldn't call it gouging, just supply and demand. ......
Yes.

Americans claim to be super fans of freemarket capitalism and yet increasingly they seem to have less and less understanding of how markets actually work.

In the background, the pandemic is constricting supply. Simple.

Unprecedented central bank stimulus is boosting demand. As a general rule, monetary policy is incapable of directly addressing supply shocks or structural economic unemployment. In this case, massive stimulus will not correct pandemic-caused supply shortages but will cause all kinds of market distortions.

Coping with the pandemic is turning out to be a thorny problem of social coordination. Many countries around the world are experiencing similar challenges to the USA in regards to social coordinating a response to the pandemic.

This should change going forward especially as the feedback loop slowly but steadily encourages the unvaccinated to get vaccinated.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts