Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this interesting article about how Kia might be forced to drop either the Soul or the Seltos. In my opinion if that happens the Seltos will probably be the one that stays. The quotes in the article from Russell Wager, Kia's vice president of marketing sounds like the Soul could potentially be the one on its way out.

Link: https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/kia-soul-future-seltos/

·
Registered
482 Posts
It will be disappointing, but it looks like that might actually happen. I don’t care for the Seltos, I’m sure it’s a good car but even in the northeast, I don’t want AWD. The Seltos also starts higher than the Soul. The Soul is a great entry level “CUV”. The Sportage sales (in the US) have been going up, but they have never been close to the Souls, and they’re not discontinuing that. So they could keep it around if they wanted. I think they already discontinued it in Korea for the Seltos 😭

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have heard rumors about this being the end of the Soul. As far as the Sportage goes it's been essentially same car since 2011 with a few revisions so it's sales aren't great but an all new one is coming out in about a year with hybrid options.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have heard rumors about this being the end of the Soul. As far as the Sportage goes it's been essentially same car since 2011 with a few revisions so it's sales aren't great but an all new one is coming out in about a year with hybrid options.
If they do, I hope they bring something like the Kia Sonet over here to take its place. It kinda looks like the Seltos but smaller. It’s the size of the Hyundai Venue and better looking than it too.

(What is it with Kia and the letter S. Seltos, Soul, Sonet, Stonic, Sorento, Sedona, Sportage, Stinger, Sephia, Spectra 😵‍💫)

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember reading when a car model gets discontinued it depreciates at a faster rate. I expect used car prices will eventually normalize so depreciation is a concern for me since I don’t expect to keep the Soul forever. The new Ford Maverick hybrid ‘truck’ starts at about 21k msrp and it’s becoming more intriguing to me…. Especially since I bought my 21 Soul S for about $18,500 in July and now I can trade it in for about 22k. The problem is finding the base Hybrid for the Maverick that isn’t sold before it hits the lot.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,049 Posts
If they do, I hope they bring something like the Kia Sonet over here to take its place. It kinda looks like the Seltos but smaller. It’s the size of the Hyundai Venue and better looking than it too.

(What is it with Kia and the letter S. Seltos, Soul, Sonet, Stonic, Sorento, Sedona, Sportage, Stinger, Sephia, Spectra 😵‍💫)

I think we'll see a big change over the next 48 months in models as they launch 11 new EVs. Kia is really going all in with electrics and I think they want new, modern, edgy designs (think EV6) to distance themselves from the current models & Tesla bulbous, minimalistic (think Model 3) & poorly made vehicles.

Peter Schreyer knows the key to success will be building beautiful, high quality EVs.

Kia Tells Us Its Seven-Year-Plan for Electric Vehicles

• Wow
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
482 Posts
I didn’t know they were launching that many EVs 🙁. Oh I hope I can find parts for my Kia Soul for the next 30-40 years because I have no interest in an EV. I know the government is going to shove them down our throat at some point, but I’ll hold off buying one until every last gas pump in the country is ripped out of the ground.

I’m kidding of course. In the climate where I live my car will turn to dust long before then. I just hope they (Hyundai and Kia) continue to make gas cars for decades to come.

I better stock up on used engines, clutches, transmissions, and crank position sensors 😩

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
364 Posts
There are a lot of nice looking cross-over utility vehicles (CUV) and SUVs available but there is a similarity / interchangeability of the basic exterior design and shape.

One of the reasons I like the Kia Soul is the non-standard, boxy look.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
364 Posts
... The new Ford Maverick hybrid ‘truck’ ...The problem is finding the base Hybrid for the Maverick that isn’t sold before it hits the lot.
I like the 40mpg for city driving. All these manufacturers - Ford Maverick, Honda Ridgeline, Hyundai Santa Cruz, etc - are doing the same basic design though - quad cab with separate bed.

A small size Chevy Avalanche in hybrid or electric form would be my preference. If it could have a manual transmission (in the hybrid) then that would really be great.

Hybrid Cars with Manual Transmissions

The GMC Envoy XUV is ugly (in my opinion) but I admire the multi-functionality.

Get rid of the motorized retractable roof and the rear glass side panels. And would have a quad cab with a pass-through from the bed into the cabin.

Add a lockable manually retractable hardcover for the bed and thus would have the ability to carry long items (even longer if had a true flat folding front seat like in the Honda Element). Maybe a six or maybe even 8 foot ladder would fit without anyone knowing.

Also would be abe to stretch out and sleep if wanted to if had a flat cargo floor all the way through.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I like the 40mpg for city driving. All these manufacturers - Ford Maverick, Honda Ridgeline, Hyundai Santa Cruz, etc - are doing the same basic design though - quad cab with separate bed.

A small size Chevy Avalanche in hybrid or electric form would be my preference. If it could have a manual transmission (in the hybrid) then that would really be great.

Hybrid Cars with Manual Transmissions
Wow, they have a manual hybrid Hyundai Tucson and Kia Stonic. We’ll never get these cars here in America though. 😢

• Angry
Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are a lot of nice looking cross-over utility vehicles (CUV) and SUVs available but there is a similarity / interchangeability of the basic exterior design and shape.

One of the reasons I like the Kia Soul is the non-standard, boxy look.
We all have our own opinions, but I like the front and side profile of the 3rd Gen Soul. I just think the back looks bad. If they redesigned the back I think it will look better than the Seltos.

·
Registered
657 Posts
We are a 2-car family. Retired empty-nesters. Right now, we have a '19 Subaru Forester and a '20 Soul LX (our 2nd - replaced a '13 Base Auto). The Subaru is a very tight fit in the garage and we really don't need that much room, so we just ordered a '22 Seltos LX AWD. We like to have an AWD for winter trips over the mountains from West Virginia to Washington DC to see our kids/grandkid and to visit family in Wisconsin.

With the trade allowance, we got to drive the Subaru for 3 years and 29K miles for just over $3,000. It's only costing us about $1,500 to switch to a brand new Seltos. We love the Souls, and the Seltos is mechanically very closely related. Plus, it will fit in our small garage better. Can't wait for it to get here - hopefully January.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I didn’t know they were launching that many EVs 🙁. Oh I hope I can find parts for my Kia Soul for the next 30-40 years because I have no interest in an EV. I know the government is going to shove them down our throat at some point, but I’ll hold off buying one until every last gas pump in the country is ripped out of the ground.

I’m kidding of course. In the climate where I live my car will turn to dust long before then. I just hope they (Hyundai and Kia) continue to make gas cars for decades to come.

I better stock up on used engines, clutches, transmissions, and crank position sensors 😩
They are definitely going electric. This past summer I had to travel to the Kia training center to take all the EV specific service classes (it's a whole day just on the A/C system as it uses the A/C compressor to generate heat by placing a 2nd condenser inside the car and then 3 way valves to route the hot compressed gasses inside or outside depending on heating or cooling and also it will use A/C to cool down the battery if liquid cooling system is unable to keep up like on a mountain in AZ) We now have the EV chargers in the shop and even a pay by credit card fast charger outside at the dealership and we're on like our 3rd or 4th shipment of EVs as they sell out. Also got pretty cools to go with them, like a lift table that can support the 1,008lbs battery as well as super long high voltage cables so that we can test the battery on the table while it is plugged into the car up in the air if it was removed for service. These cars have nearly no maintenance outside of a coolant flush every 3 years, it is obviously a special non conductive coolant and brake caliper slide greasing (since they rarely use the hydraulic brake system pads and slides are likely to stick from not using them)

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
634 Posts
Kia Stonic
It looks like the Niro?

A/C compressor to generate heat by placing a 2nd condenser inside the car and then 3 way valves to route the hot compressed gasses inside or outside depending on heating or cooling
For those who are interested, when dealing with building HVAC that setup is referred to as a heat pump. The good news is it's old technology, the bad news is it's a new environment. As long as it's designed to withstand the vehicle's movement it'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
While at my KIA dealer this week, I walked the sales lot and saw a Niro EV. Too small a car for me, and at $58K it's way over priced for me. And the charging station for it draws power like the US Enterprise. Just not practical at all!

I'm sure that my 2020 Soul will be my last Kia. I'm pretty sure that my next car will be some form or Detroit Iron.

Give me something that I can actually work on.

Cheers Mates and Happy Thanksgiving,
Plant Font Fruit Natural foods Event

1 - 20 of 65 Posts