Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I just bought a used 2010 Soul. It's in pretty good shape cosmetically, and everything mechanical checked out fine, too, except I noticed the oil on the dipstick is about 1/2" above the "Full" line. The oil looks pretty clean, and it isn't due for another oil service for about 2,000 miles. Is overfull oil a big enough concern that I should drain some?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Welcome on board. It may hurt your engine. Draining some will probably put you into a cycle of too much-too little. This has been talked about before on here and it seems that when KIA ships the car they over inflat the tires and over fill the oil. Take it back to the dealer and complain, I believe that they are suppose to take car of this in the prep cycle. If that does not work, just change the oil/filter and put in the required amount.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I do not know know how much oil it takes for 1/2" on dipstick.
If 1/2 quart overfill with 3.8 quart capacity (on my 1.6L) that would be a 13% overfill. It may not be an issue, but if it is high enough in the crankcase for the crank to froth the oil, it will not pump well and may not lubricate the engine properly.

When I buy a used vehicle, the engine oil gets changed immediately. Other fluids depend upon age and miles.

Did you buy it private party?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

When I buy a used vehicle, the engine oil gets changed immediately. Other fluids depend upon age and miles.

Did you buy it private party?
This is excellent advice, small expense to start with a clean slate. I haven't bought a used car for many years but I always changed the oil as soon a s I got home.

Pat.

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hi everybody,

I just bought a used 2010 Soul. It's in pretty good shape cosmetically, and everything mechanical checked out fine, too, except I noticed the oil on the dipstick is about 1/2" above the "Full" line. The oil looks pretty clean, and it isn't due for another oil service for about 2,000 miles. Is overfull oil a big enough concern that I should drain some?
Probably not. If you put 5 quarts in during an oil change, that is where the level shows up on the dipstick. You are approximately 1/2 quart high.I have run mine that way with no issues. If it bugs you, just change the oil. It is easy to do in your driveway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A half quart won't make your oil foam. If it did millions of engines given a QUICK ( meaning don't get the old oil out) change would be ruined. They just gave you sixteen ounces of your oil back. No big deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 2L soul 2020 ,i have seen where it takes 4L -canada owned-is this ok? and im thinking of 5-30 due to a light ticking or i would say a rap noise, also to occasionally use a higher test fuel from a 87 octane to a 89 is this ok thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everybody,

If it's still under warranty, I'd drain some. Simply cause if something happens to the engine, it can be an excuse not to honor the warranty. Plus if the oil level is high enough the crankshaft could be hitting that pool of oil causing the motor to work harder. I've drain mine in the past with the engine cold. Have some rags and a clean oil pan handy remove the drain plug and use your finger as a cork. An extra-person would help to check the oil level topside when you've think you've drain enough oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts