Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul, 1.6 Automatic, Base
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As far as I know, these are factory ones? Yesterday morning, I went to fill up the tire with air and had to use a wrench to get it off, which ended up breaking the valve stem and causing air to rush out in a matter of seconds (probably fully deflated in 15 seconds).

I switched to plastic ones with a rubber gasket inside for all 4 from now on. :p

This picture shows what a normal one would look like on the left, and the broken valve still stuck/seized on the right:

I decided to get the tire fixed. Would you have gotten the valve fixed or would have just purchased a new tire? The tires on my Soul still have a lot of life left and I wanted to get this situation fixed as quickly as possible. I couldn't drive it to the dealership or anywhere far, so I did the closest shop--just replaced it with a plastic cap, inflated the tire best I could and drove it there. Since there wasn't much tread left, it wasn't keeping a proper seal and was leaking out again. It would be flat again in 30-40min sitting in my driveway.

Side note: the tire pressure sensor light is still on, on my dash. The mechanic couldn't figure out how to reset / program it. Does it go away in time? Lastly, where are the tire pressure sensors located on this particular car?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,475 Posts
The TPMS light should reset on it's own. That's provided the sensor was installed back in the tire correctly and remember the batteries on the sensors eventually fail.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,475 Posts
Sensors are located inside the tire on the stem base johnny. Not visable unless the tire is off the rim. Like Neanderthal said, the battery may be getting weak.

As far as the dash light goes, there is no way (like zero) to defeat the TPMS light. The only thing to do if it annoys you is to cover it up with some kind of sticky.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sensors are located inside the tire on the stem base johnny. Not visable unless the tire is off the rim. Like Neanderthal said, the battery may be getting weak.

As far as the dash light goes, there is no way (like zero) to defeat the TPMS light. The only thing to do if it annoys you is to cover it up with some kind of sticky.
Ah okay. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The world seems to just LOVE plastic valve stem caps. Why? Duh, because they're cheaper, of course.
Just go to any dealer and check'em out. They're all plastic.

But hey, they're not pretty, EH? So I, like many dudes, buy nice shiny Chrome caps for my valve stems. And, I prevent them from ever gaulding to the valve stem with a tiny little dab of lubricant.....either Molybdenum Dioxide grease, or Silicone Gel, like DC-4 Silicone Lubricant. (NOT a lot, just a tiny little bit, right on the threads of the cap)

Guys and gals, we ain't shooting off a Space Shuttle here, it just a car. Eh? Lets just keep it simple.
If you like Chrome valve stem caps, then use them. But just lubricate the threads of the cap with a tiny little bit of grease.

Cheers Mates!

:cool:

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
385 Posts
The world seems to just LOVE plastic valve stem caps. Why? Duh, because they're cheaper, of course.
Just go to any dealer and check'em out. They're all plastic.

But hey, they're not pretty, EH? So I, like many dudes, buy nice shiny Chrome caps for my valve stems. And, I prevent them from ever gaulding to the valve stem with a tiny little dab of lubricant.....either Molybdenum Dioxide grease, or Silicone Gel, like DC-4 Silicone Lubricant. (NOT a lot, just a tiny little bit, right on the threads of the cap)

Guys and gals, we ain't shooting off a Space Shuttle here, it just a car. Eh? Lets just keep it simple.
If you like Chrome valve stem caps, then use them. But just lubricate the threads of the cap with a tiny little bit of grease.

Cheers Mates!

Or just remove them once a week or so when you check the tire pressure. Radical I know

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well if you do have metal covers (I just bought some with the Kia emblem on them for my Wife's Sportage), you can put a little anti-seize compound on the threads to prevent this problem from occurring. Guess I better get some anti-seize compound for my vehicle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that would have helped. The tires were supposedly checked for proper PSI a month or two ago when doing an oil change / tire rotation.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
385 Posts
Meh, there's a light for that. :tongue-new:
Which may or may not come on and if it does the pressure is already really low.

"Yeah that would have helped. The tires were supposedly checked for proper PSI a month or two ago when doing an oil change / tire rotation."

Another reason I always check my own. Don't trust that others will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I experienced an aluminum metal valve stem cap which had corroded onto the valve stem threads. Using a hacksaw blade, I carefully cut through the metal cap then inserted the tip of a flat-bladed screwdriver into the slot and twisted it off. The valve stem was prevented from turning by holding it with pliers.

There will never, ever again be metal valve stem caps on my tires!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Did Webster take the word "Maintenance" out of our Dictionary? It sure seems to have disappeared from our every day life. Arggg!

Anti-Seize is great but not necessary. A tiny little dab of almost any grease, will do the trick. It's not so much What you use, as that you use Something.
Don't just ignore your tires and your Valve Stem Caps.

I really hate it when I have to take my car into a tire shop for any reason. They just love to keep my Chrome Valve Stem caps and put on those cheap black plastic caps. And if I don't tell them Exactly what pressure I want in my tires, they'll put them back to OEM pressure. Arggg!

Happy Trails, Mates!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Every week usually 2 max 3 weeks I check my tires... About a year ago I drove home hauling and all the way from Georgia TPMS never tripped had like 27 in the tire and a nail... Apparently TPMS doesn't trip till its even lower I forget the formula... Please tell me you guys don't wait for the oil light to come on till you check it as well! :p

PS: I own a motorcycle and a bit paranoid sooo :O

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used stainless steel caps with internal gasket without problems for decades in all four seasons. I have never treated them with any lubricant. My only problem with them is sometimes they get stolen.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
WOW! I just Found out about this the hard way and I placed a warning thread in the forum! Good advice. Just shows you're never too old to learn

·
Registered
211 Posts
Those bring back memories of my BMX biking days! :) We collected those and any unique valve stem caps... Those were fun times!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
In the late '70s, on a trip from Los Angeles to Monterey, a tire went flat, a brand new tire.
The tire shop installed a long valve core into a short stem and vibration caused air loss.
No more plastic caps on auto or truck tires (save them for grandkids bikes).

The chrome hex type look good but are prone to theft, so I use simpler ones, but metal with an o-ring seal; a backup to the valve stem core.

Not much corrosion issues in the Southwest and I check tire pressure about once a month.

And I remove them when I take them to a tire shop for new tires...resulting in more black plastic valve stem caps that I need!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts