Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 KIA Soul 4U, that is now 10 and a half years old. But it only has 51,000km - 32,000 miles on it.

The manual states that the fluid should be changed at 100,000km - 60,000 miles or 4 years.

I understand the 100,000km recommendation but I cannot understand the 4 year recommendation.

Transmission oil, like differential oil or transfer case oil should not be time sensitive.

On my Hyundai Santa Fe AWD, there is only mileage recommendation for all three of these, no time recommendation.

Do I have to worry about this or not?

Thank you.

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
it's hard on fluids when they sit around a lot and don't get much use. I would follow the recommendations in your owners manual.

It actually says 96,000 km or 48 months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2010 KIA Soul 4U, that is now 10 and a half years old. But it only has 51,000km - 32,000 miles on it.

The manual states that the fluid should be changed at 100,000km - 60,000 miles or 4 years.

I understand the 100,000km recommendation but I cannot understand the 4 year recommendation.
Transmission oil, like differential oil or transfer case oil should not be time sensitive.
On my Hyundai Santa Fe AWD, there is only mileage recommendation for all three of these, no time recommendation.
Do I have to worry about this or not?
Thank you.
[/QUOTE}

It make a huge difference in an AT but not so much in a MT.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Even if not driven, the seasonal temperature changes let outside air get in and out of the case. In time those cycles add humidity / water to the oil. There is no completely sealed system. If the car is driven short cycles, without running at operating temperature for something like 30 min-one hour, again will favor accumulation of water.
That why any oil has a time limit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Like everything else short trips don't allow the trans to warm up and circulate well. Moisture etc need to be burned off or if not burned off, drained out.

·
Registered
550 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts