Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a question, as I am REALLY confused about all of this.

Why do certain countries get certain Soul accessories/engine choices and some don't?

It seems like America sort of gets the leftovers, no? I'm pretty sure a diesel engine would do very well over here, so why was it only offered trans-stlanatic? Could some explain Kia's logic to me? Because as of right now, this whole "exclusive to certain countries" thing has me baffled.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
The diesel was introduced to the USA and Canadian Dealers when the car was introduced and they chose not to sell it. (apparently the fully specced demonstration diesels were sold off cheaply!!!!).

And as far as accessories are concerned all the ones i want or have already fitted have come from the USA. The only thing we seem to have that you lot dont have is the burner grill. Most other stuff is korean sourced.

The USA cars are very different to UK cars. You get the 2 litre - we dont, we get the diesel - you dont. We get electric steering, you get hydraulic steering...... its crazy. And it must add massively to developement costs and therefore the cost price of the car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd love to see the diesel engine offered in the states. The problem is that outside of mammoth pickup trucks and larger commercial vehicles, diesel engines are not popular in the states. Can anyone really think of a successful diesel engined car in the US anytime recently. Volvo had some success several decades ago, but they dropped diesel engines for a reason, and I suspect that reason was poor sales. Diesel fuel costs about $0.30 more per gallon than gasoline where I live, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. Diesel vehicles also have a reputation for being underpowered, stinky, and loud. That is a reputation they earned several decades ago, but times have changed. It seems that American memories have not. One also has to remember that in the US the 2.0 liter Soul is considered to be somewhat underpowered, to say nothing of the 1.6.

I started driving and having a real interest in cars during the "Hot Hatch" era of the 1980's. At that time a 1.6 liter DOHC 4 door hatchback with 122 HP and a 5-Speed would have been considered hot stuff. Now most folks see it as a weak sister. I still have a solid place in my heart for the "Hot Hatches" and for me the 1.6 liter DOHC is plenty of fun and more economical to both buy and drive. I paid less than $13000 for a brand new 2011 Soul 1.6 after the rebate. That, my friends, is also 1980's pricing.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
the Diesel Soul is 1.6 litre DOHC, 126bhp and 190Ibft torque...... it should be a flying machine!!!....but cars have got heavy since the 80s.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd love to see the diesel engine offered in the states. The problem is that outside of mammoth pickup trucks and larger commercial vehicles, diesel engines are not popular in the states. Can anyone really think of a successful diesel engined car in the US anytime recently.
I thought Diesel Volkswagen's were still pretty popular, particularly in the Jettas. In Canada anyway.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Another example of some countries get them while others don't....the Roof Rack.
Canada gets them, Korea gets them and I just found out that the
Russian Souls get them as well. Go figure that one..

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
With the economy of a diesel and the exhaust filters they now have - the tree huggers screwed up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought Diesel Volkswagen's were still pretty popular, particularly in the Jettas. In Canada anyway.
Not so much in the US. They are available, but not particularly popular compared to similar gasoline models. Diesel makes a lot of sense economically speaking, but we in the States are not as concerned with economy as we like to pretend.

the Diesel Soul is 1.6 litre DOHC, 126bhp and 190Ibft torque...... it should be a flying machine!!!....but cars have got heavy since the 80s.
My 1986 Nissan Sentra XE 2-Door (hardly a "hot hatch" but all I could afford in high school) weighed about 2150 lbs. and had a 70 HPish 1.6 liter 8 valve inline-4 and a 5 Speed manual transmission (an upgrade from the standard 4-speed). It also featured a tachometer, an AM/FM stereo, cloth seats, and "racing stripes"; all upgrades from the base Sentra. While it got 40+ MPG on the highway it was anything but a performance car.

My 2011 Kia Soul has airbags, ABS, traction control, power windows and locks, AM/FM CD, etc. in addition to all the "extras" on my 1986 Sentra. It weighs what, about 2580 lbs. with its 122 HP DOHC 1.6 Liter. It is a huge improvement in every way over the Sentra, and only weighs about 400 lbs. more.

Yes, the Sentra was heavy for an 80's econbox, but not that much heavier than a lot of other cars in the segment. The Soul 1.6 is a solid "Hot Hatch" by the standards of the late 80's early 90's. Now, if we could just get that diesel.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah. So, there isn't a particular reason? It all comes down to the dealerships and whether or not they want to sell it or not? Hmm. I personally figured diesel would do quite well over here. I mean, yeah it does cost a bit more, but wouldn't you be getter MUCH better fuel mileage?

Also, when it comes to the smaller thing slike roof racks and such. I just don't understand why roof rails could come standard on ALL SOULS, regardless of the country. I mean, i'm pretty ticked that i'm going to have to purchase them separately whilst SOUL owners in Canada, Korea, and Russia get them straight off the lot. -__-

Bah.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
you wont beable to get the factory roof rack fitted - you will have to go aftermarket for one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts