Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I'd like to know your general response to the move. Gimme things like the actual rims & tires used, handling, MPG,
looks, impressions, happy you did it?, purchase from whom, overall sastisfaction. You get the gist, pretty much anything
and everything you can add ot the subject. Obviously I'm considering the move, and you all carry alot of weight in
my decision. Thank you in advance for you responses, I'm grateful. Take care y'all. :cheerful:

Peace,

Darrin

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Darrin, welcome to the forum and have fun here. Have you seached for similar topics with the search box at the top? I think there are quite a lot of threads about tires already and they might have discussed this question already, even though it doesn't say in the topic description.

As for me, I had 18"s alloys in summer and exchanged them for 16"s now that winter is upon us. The MPG increased slightly for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Souly,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did wade through the subject on previous posts, abiet I must admit not extensively. I like to get fresh perspectives from folks as feelings may have changed or new folks may now be included. I realize this may annoy some folks, for that I apologize. Thanks & take care.

Peace,

Darrin,
Hi Darrin, welcome to the forum and have fun here. Have you seached for similar topics with the search box at the top? I think there are quite a lot of threads about tires already and they might have discussed this question already, even though it doesn't say in the topic description.

As for me, I had 18"s alloys in summer and exchanged them for 16"s now that winter is upon us. The MPG increased slightly for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did the same thing as Souly. Went from 235/45/18 to 225/60/18 be careful about talking about MPG as the speedometer will be effected by a different size tire. You might calculate higher or lower MPG but you might be talking different miles. The above change I made was about as close as I could get to not changing the size when jumping 2 wheel sizes. The ride is much better on the 16s the look is much better with the 18s but for winter snow tires I wanted 16s.

Here is a good link to use for comparing.

235/45-R18 vs 225/65-R16 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator

What is your reason for the change? 16” rims are quite easy to find used once you know what you are looking for. 5 lug and 4.5 inch bolt circle with high positive offset is what my 2014 takes. Most places call them 114.3 mm and some call them 115mm both will work. It’s hard to measure across a 5 hole pattern so if you need to know the cord length across the two farthest holes is real close to 2.25 inches something you can measure with a tape measure if you buy used rims. There are links on line that will tell you if you know a given car make what the rim size is. The rims I bought the guy said they were 5 hole wheels off a monte carlo that was all the clue needed to cross reference and know they would fit my soul. The only other thing you need to know is the center hole size is at least as big or bigger than what the soul takes, or be handy with a hand grinder to open them up.

I’m planning on running the 18’s during the summer but besides looks I can’t see why I would want to.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got mine for 'free' from the dealership (after bargaining with them), more or less, when I bought the car. But the Soul looks better with 18" alloys than 16" steel rims. :pride:

·
Registered
127 Posts
For sure I couldn’t believe it was the same car with the snows on. it looked a little better when I poloshed the rims up and the tires but for sure the 18s look nice.

Free is best and if I was thinking I would have held out for something like that or at least a spare tire and jack.

As to the OPs question I don’t know about 17s but I have to assume they would perform about half way in between. Living in NC why not go for 17s or 18s even if you want a different look. The only issue I had with the 18s is potholes and snow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
NC = North Carolina? Sorry, I have to ask for clarification, not being from the US myself. *g* I don't exactly live in a sunny country myself. The climate in Germany can vary so much, one never knows what to prepare for. Last winter we didn't have any snow, though it was bitterly cold. The year before that it snowed like crazy. We'll see what this year brings. Today we had our first sleet. Ugh... I hate it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
For sure I couldn’t believe it was the same car with the snows on. it looked a little better when I poloshed the rims up and the tires but for sure the 18s look nice.

Free is best and if I was thinking I would have held out for something like that or at least a spare tire and jack.

As to the OPs question I don’t know about 17s but I have to assume they would perform about half way in between. Living in NC why not go for 17s or 18s even if you want a different look. The only issue I had with the 18s is potholes and snow.
Nothin like a little polosh to make things look better. ....:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey folks,

Anybody else have any input. Maybe staying with the 16"s is best. I dunno? Can't test drive my new
car for another 4 weeks (hopefully). Totaled my Wrangler 3 months ago in a pretty bad one, almost bit it. But I'm coming back strong and gonna get me a new Soul, Base probably. Love those little
buggers. Been to the dealership a few times just to sit in 'em. Can't wait for the day I drive out of
the dealership with that sh?t eating grin on my face. If y'all have any feeling one way or the other regarding the tire sizes please do share. I'll be test driving a + to try and feel a difference myself.
Though the Base I'll get will be a manual, I gotsta shift. Thank you in advance, you kind people, and
have a wonderful holiday season. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hey folks,

Anybody else have any input. Maybe staying with the 16"s is best. I dunno? Can't test drive my new
car for another 4 weeks (hopefully). Totaled my Wrangler 3 months ago in a pretty bad one, almost bit it. But I'm coming back strong and gonna get me a new Soul, Base probably. Love those little
buggers. Been to the dealership a few times just to sit in 'em. Can't wait for the day I drive out of
the dealership with that sh?t eating grin on my face. If y'all have any feeling one way or the other regarding the tire sizes please do share. I'll be test driving a + to try and feel a difference myself.
Though the Base I'll get will be a manual, I gotsta shift. Thank you in advance, you kind people, and
have a wonderful holiday season. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin
Hi. I can't speak to the 16s but the 17s are acceptable in the snow, but I'm still waiting to put my snow tires on. One salesman, even though he'd be selling me an Exclaim and not a Plus, told me to avoid the 18s if my concern is winter driving. I was surprised he said that.

My first car was a Wrangler which I loved with all of my heart and a fire started under the hood while I was pumping gas into it. Watching it burn to a total loss at a gas station was absolutely devastating.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
At the factory, every model of car's suspension is "tuned" according to the tires that will be shipped on that car.

Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but I'd be afraid to put one inch larger (diameter) wheels on my car, for fear of screwing up the suspension.

Happy New Year

:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts