Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's the deal:

I commute almost 50 miles each way to work and back. I climb 15 miles of mountains and descend 15 miles of mountains in both directions. Late this morning I needed gas so I filled up and reset the fuel gauge. I then drove straight to work. When I pulled in at my office, this was the reading of my MPG gauge:

In case you can't see that, it says " 39.5 MPG" . I took that picture just before I went to work.

During the day I had to do about 10 miles worth of city driving, then I proceeded to go home. I took this picture when I pulled into my driveway just before I shut the car off:

In case you can't see that, it says "41.1 MPG". That was actually down by .5 MPG because I climb a series of steep hills ascending about 150 total feet in elevation before I get to my house.

I'm going to guess I averaged about 60MPH on the highway and maybe 25MPH during my 10 miles of city driving. If I was on flat interstates, I bet I could make that readout read 43 MPG or so. Now, I've got a little bit of an antsy foot, so I probably won't average 60 MPH next week, more like 65 or so. It took some patience for me to stay between 55-65 MPH on this trip, but I did it purposely for illustrative purposes. For me, I'm willing to take a couple MPG downgrade to get home faster, so I'll drive a little quicker next week. I know the MPG gauge is optimistic, so my true MPG right now is probably about 38. I will likely finish around 36 MPG when I drive faster next week.

I've already mentioned it on other posts, but my technique: easy starts, highest gear as quickly as possible without lugging the engine, no hard climbs up hills/mountains, coast or gain speed on downhills, keep a steady foot, etc.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't your gas mileage always best right after a fill?
By the time I pulled into my driveway I had driven 110 miles, so I'd theoretically be almost a third through this tank. You can't tell much by driving 5 or 10 miles but 110 miles gives you a good idea of what you're doing. You still have to gauge true MPG by filling your tank and dividing by mileage, but my MPG gauge has been consistently around 3-3.5 MPG higher than my true mileage, so I'm around 38 right now for sure.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I think a lot of people don't realize that you can reset your AVERAGE gauge at any time, so you can check mileages for shorter sections of certain types of driving. They think because it automatically resets after filling up that's it. On short low speed runs I've seen mine hit as low as 5.3L/100 km (which is 44.4 mpg US), but you can sure change it in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's right. I use the gauge to keep my overall driving in check - it keeps me from speed demoning.

I think a lot of people don't realize that you can reset your AVERAGE gauge at any time, so you can check mileages for shorter sections of certain types of driving. They think because it automatically resets after filling up that's it. On short low speed runs I've seen mine hit as low as 5.3L/100 km (which is 44.4 mpg US), but you can sure change it in a hurry.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Escellent mileage, jdmartin!

My wife's commute is about 27 miles each way. About 30% is in pure stop-and-go city traffic, and the rest is on expressways with an average speed of maybe 35 mph ("rush" hour, don't you know? -- but ranging between stop-and-go and 70 mph, with lots of slamming on the brakes).

She's been getting 29-31 mpg, which was square on what I expected from the original sticker. She also took a long trip last summer, when the car had maybe 1,800 miles on the odometer, so the engine was by no means broken in. She has a lead foot and went most of the way at 70 mph. The air conditioner was going full blast all the time. She got 34 mpg.

I agree with mountain_soul: if the 1.6 liter had been available on the + with the options we wanted, then we probably would have gone with that option. But it wasn't. It's too bad, really, especially when you consider that the 2012 + 2.0 liter with automatic is about 2½ seconds quicker to 60 mph than a 1991 VW GTI! (The Seoul Train can hit 60 mph in 7.5 seconds, if you use the manual shifting to hold it in gear, while our GTI was 10 seconds.) The 1.6 liter would have been more than enough grunt.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, got gas today. Average 36.9MPG for this last run. My MPG gauge read 40.9, so it was 4MPG optimistic. I wasted a little bit of gas moving cars around and idling, so I would have been right at 37MPG.

For me, that's not bad. It's not 40, but it's more than double that of my Crew Cab 4WD pickup, so I really can't complain. Plus I'll be getting a nice rebate from Kia :)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
An update:

Last tank I ran up to 353 miles. I averaged 39.4 MPG calculated from the pump & mileage. My MPG gauge read 41.1, so it appears that the spread is getting smaller the more miles I put on this car - I'm up to almost 4000 miles. This tank was run at mostly 60MPH with a few 65's, but nothing faster than that. Easing off the gas on hill climbs by gaining a little speed going downhill, just basic hypermiling stuff. Nothing crazy like ridge riding or drafting, just easy driving.

Just for fun, after I filled up I drove home - a few miles, mostly flat on back roads - at 45MPH in 6th gear. I took this picture a little before I turned off onto my road, when I have to start climbing hills:

In case you have trouble reading it, it says "61.1 MPG". I got the gauge up to 63.5 MPG before I turned.

What all this says is that if you have the right driving conditions you can exceed the specs quite impressively. Even if you don't, however, everyone has some reasonable control over their MPG.

EDIT: I don't know what happened to the original photo so I reposted it. I thought it might be timely because I've had a few inquiries about MPG.

I should note that these days I seem to run about 34 MPG, but that's because I like putting my foot into it and I'm more concerned with shaving time off my commute than a couple extra MPG, which means I'm doing a lot more 75-80 MPH runs than back when I was toying with this thing to see what kind of MPG I could get out of it. Also, they raised the speed limit on the interstate that I drive on, so I get to drive almost 10MPH faster than what I posted back last year. So I'm now shaving about 10 minutes off a commute, which isn't much but it takes it to less than 45 minutes which is nicer than almost an hour.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I edited my post today to re-add the picture, which for some reason stopped showing up, because a few people have asked me about MPG. Rather than just start a whole new thread about MPG I figured I'd bring this one back to the top so anyone interested could just read here.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Absolutamente Correcto! (very poor Spanglish)

You just proved what I've been saying for years, that the control of gas mileage sits behind the steering wheel.

Just today I was out on I-75, following a big truck and watching my ScanGauge 2, it was reading, at one point, 69mph and 47.6 mpg.
All my little car needs is a good Wind Breaker and she can get Really Good MPG.

Whenever I'm on a road trip, more than just running into town, I try to find a Big-Rig to draft...one that's on CC at about 65mph.

Nice post!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Great info. I have yet to get any mileage on mine yet to have any gauge but these numbers are amazing!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great info. I have yet to get any mileage on mine yet to have any gauge but these numbers are amazing!
Yeah, I updated because I've had a few people contact me here and through Fuelly on MPG. I notice a distinct difference in MPG when it gets cold, btw. Whether that is from winter fuel blend having more ethanol or just general cold weather is hard to say. I park overnight in a garage, so leaving home going to work is really minimized, but the car sits in the cold parking lot at work all day so in the evening there's going to be some effect.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Years ago, we didn't even think about MPG in cold weather. We only though "Will this dang thing START?"
And sometimes it wouldn't! Gasahol took a lot of the worries about frozen gas lines out of the equation.

I know guys who would take the battery out of their car, take it in the house and put it on a Charger over night,
to make sure it would start the car the next morning. And, that was even after they had plugged in their block heater or dipstick heater.
Once I even slid a 1000W electric heater under the engine at night, to keep it warm enough to start the next morning.

Then I got tired of all that stuff and moved me and my home to Florida. No more starting worries!!!

Our winters here don't get cold enough to seriously affect gas mileage.

Happy Holidays!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure, I remember gasahol. We always kept a case of it in the trunk. And always had cars with block heaters. The joys of living in some freezing cold place. No more for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts