Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For all those of you who use GPS systems, do any of you use Garmin? I'm on my second GPS unit, both of them Garmin.
If using Garmin, which vehicle icon do you use on your GPS for your Soul?
For those of you who weren't aware, you can download a whole bunch of Vehicle icons to use on your Garmin GPS.

Garmin | All Vehicles

I guess the closest ones to a Soul would be the Blue "Roundabout" or the White "Highway Hauler". They don't look like Souls too much but are the closest ones to it.

I'm working on submitting an entry that looks like our Souls. Thing is, Garmin doesn't want replicas of real cars because of copyrights and legal matters.
"We love cars as much as you do but we can’t create icons for specific car models. Apparently, it’s one of those ‘lawyer things’ that scare us a bit. So please make sure your idea is original – that way, you’ll have a better chance of seeing it show up in the Garmin Garage and we’ll have a better chance of avoiding the courtroom!"

Each month, Garmin selects a new entry from folks to make it into the Garmin Garage. We need a Soul like vehicle in there, don't we?

so what do you think of this one? It still looks like a Soul. I mini-sized it, tweaked the headlights and tail lights, changed the wheels. I made it GREEN in color because KIA does not have this color and Green is easy to see on the GPS Map.
Can you guys help me out here by telling me what I need to change and PLEASE, let me know of your NAME ideas for this little Soul. Remember, you can't relate to it as a KIA Soul so no names with Soul or KIA in it.

Perhaps I should make the fenders wider to take away from the Soul look? Name, how about Matey (mate as in Soul without using "Soul")

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I guess the piece of pizza is for the delivery guys.:p I would love to have a Soul icon.....or how about a hamster??

·
Registered
690 Posts
i bought a TomTom last black Friday and downed Alien Soul found on TomTom "share" community that I am currently using as directional icon. I have made a custom Java icon but its too dark at night even with glowing edges. I do have intro and exit screen with my Soul. both of my other vehicles have OEM so its not customizable and four year old Mio at the time of purchase had lot of features but compare to latest portable devices, it looks and feel so out of date. I love the current TomTom with life time map and traffic update and worked great on a rental when I was at Ottawa few months ago.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sightland, you came to Ottawa and you didn't even get in touch with us?
With Tom Tom, you can make your own icons to use? That's great. Wish Garmin was like that. My GPS would be rigged up with all sorts of goodies.

Were you in Ottawa for your son(s) Hockey Tournament?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok..widened the fenders a tad..

Give me some names to call this thing please..

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sightland, you came to Ottawa and you didn't even get in touch with us?
With Tom Tom, you can make your own icons to use? That's great. Wish Garmin was like that. My GPS would be rigged up with all sorts of goodies.

Were you in Ottawa for your son(s) Hockey Tournament?
we flew to Buffalo and drove up to Marriott in Ottawa. I was hoping I had enough time to stop by KIA dealer to inquire about the roof rack but didn't have enough time. I have two boys playing hockey and I usually end up in Toronto or/and Ottawa once a year.

TomTom 550XL TM is really nice. screen is 5 inches and little smaller than OEM but quick turn-on and easy to use. unlike OEM i can change while vehicle is in motion. I heard from others that Garmin also has something equivalent to TomTom Home. TomTom Home is user community where users post map changes/updates and host of other information are shared. Tons of icons, sound, pictures, and etc. There were few Soul icons but Alien worked best for my use. only thing it doesn't have is radar detector :) and its got traffic cam, traffic alert/navi, life time map and traffic update. life time map update alone will payoff in a year [4x a year]. It would be nice if there were portable GPS with radar/laser detector. When I am traveling far i have to carry both and always have to remember to take it with me when i return the rental.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
I don't use GPS systems. I use a 10 year old tattered map and drive around in circles!

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I didnt realise obsessive sadness stretched to these levels until i read this thread....lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use an old Garmin, it's based on a palm platform. No fancy cartoons, just the basics in stats and directions. You get map view, with north up, or tracking in the direction of your travel. The icon for gps location is, yes, you guessed it, a Space Invaders inspired triangle.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Obsessive sadness" ??? "These levels" ?????

Hey, I'm a SOUL Die Hard, what can I say. Sadness? Au Contraire my friend. More like Happiness.

I didnt realise obsessive sadness stretched to these levels until i read this thread....lol

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Marc, now you are getting tempest started and he won't be able to stop.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh no! What have I done? tempest non stop? Lord have pity on us all. ;)

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found a site with Various cars/trucks/jets/whatever...
No Soul but there are a few of them than can pass as the Soul (mini cooper, Suzuki Swift etc..) I'm sure that someone will come up with a Soul soon.

But check out this site for some awesome Garmin Nuvi vehicles:

Vehicles for GARMIN nuvi

Just hit "Agree" to see all the different classes of icons they have:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like your little green Matey, Marc. (But I'd like it in red)

If those others can have a specific designation, why can't the Soul?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was researching how to do the vehicles to work with Garmin Nuvi. It takes a lot of work.
First, you need 36 individual images of the Soul rotating every 10 degrees for a full 360 degrees. Then you need 36 more individual images of the Soul from the TOP view, rotating every 10 degrees for a full 360 degrees.

This is an example of what you need to do:

http://techmods.net/nuvi/vehicles/techmods_car/techmods_car.png

Then you need to merge all 72 individual images together and make it the appropriate size then you must save it in .srf format. To do all of this, you need about 4 different programs.
Like I said, Lots of work involved. When I have a few days, I'll give it a shot, at least attempt it. In the meanwhile, I've submitted the above to Garmin. I don't know how long it takes for approval or if they even let you know if they will pick it or why they didn't pick it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i was researching how to do the vehicles to work with garmin nuvi. It takes a lot of work.
First, you need 36 individual images of the soul rotating every 10 degrees for a full 360 degrees. Then you need 36 more individual images of the soul from the top view, rotating every 10 degrees for a full 360 degrees.

This is an example of what you need to do:

http://techmods.net/nuvi/vehicles/techmods_car/techmods_car.png

then you need to merge all 72 individual images together and make it the appropriate size then you must save it in .srf format. To do all of this, you need about 4 different programs.
Like i said, lots of work involved. When i have a few days, i'll give it a shot, at least attempt it. In the meanwhile, i've submitted the above to garmin. I don't know how long it takes for approval or if they even let you know if they will pick it or why they didn't pick it.
lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts