Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm one of the folks who needs a new engine and that is currently being done. curious to hear from folks who've had theirs replaced and how you feel about things now with the new engine?

this is my first kia and i'm obvi not familiar enuf with them to have realized my car was dying. it felt fine to me lol. i wasn't impressed with gas mileage during my long distance (1K mile) move x 3 trips but i figured was due to the car being weighed down with packed up stuff. no idea what to think now, was getting 25 mpg on hwy, avg 80 mph. other than that i had only very recently (2 months or so ago) become slightly suspicious about oil usage and seeing dirty oil on the dipstick. however, it was due for an oil change and i figured that was why. died before the oil change appointment tho. hopefully these things won't be a prob anymore with the new engine but who knows?

have you had any problems with the new engine? is your mileage better? your oil usage/cleanliness?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I’ve read your other posts. I have one word of advice. Kia has stated in a letter issued, I think to all owners that Kia considers all driving in the US to be under their “severe conditions“ criteria. I recommend that you get your oil changed every 3750 to 4000 miles as stated in the owner’s manual. Also, I’m sorry for #2 check your oil at every fill-up and all fluids monthly.
there‘s a YouTube channel, “I Do Cars” the owner runs a car parts salvage business near St. Louis, MO. The tears down all different motor vehicle engines to find out why they died. In virtually all cases it’s lubrication problems, or lack ther of.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve read your other posts. I have one word of advice. Kia has stated in a letter issued, I think to all owners that Kia considers all driving in the US to be under their “severe conditions“ criteria. I recommend that you get your oil changed every 3750 to 4000 miles as stated in the owner’s manual. Also, I’m sorry for #2 check your oil at every fill-up and all fluids monthly.
my book says oil change at 7500 miles, the dealer did too...i even called them cuz obvi i have more time than miles on my car and asked the should i get one done sooner, was only 3300 miles then but already a 15 months old, they said not to worry about it. that being said, i WILL worry about it in the future lol. and i will check my oil more often, not that i ever found it dangerously low but if there's a problem i'll know all that much sooner!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
my book says oil change at 7500 miles, the dealer did too...i even called them cuz obvi i have more time than miles on my car and asked the should i get one done sooner, was only 3300 miles then but already a 15 months old, they said not to worry about it. that being said, i WILL worry about it in the future lol. and i will check my oil more often, not that i ever found it dangerously low but if there's a problem i'll know all that much sooner!
The manual also says 7500 miles or 12 months for the normal maintenance schedule. On the next page is the severe maintenance schedule.

This pdf below is the letter from Kia that mentions most US drivers should use the severe schedule.

This was not why your engine failed, it was defective piston rings.

Your new engine, the 2.0L Nu MPI, will be very happy and live a long life with 5,000 mile oil changes. That would be a good compromise between the normal and severe schedule.

7,500 miles is too long. I don’t care what the manual or dealer says.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops i see what u mean now, there is a separate chart on the next page for severe conditions, ty for mentioning that! idk why they didn't tell me any such thing when i called to check but now that i see it's there i will look at in more detail and oblige as it seems these cars need more tlc than ones i've owned in the past!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
oops i see what u mean now, there is a separate chart on the next page for severe conditions, ty for mentioning that! idk why they didn't tell me any such thing when i called to check but now that i see it's there i will look at in more detail and oblige as it seems these cars need more tlc than ones i've owned in the past!
Newer cars seem to need more tlc than in the past. One reason is because they’re forced to use these low tension piston rings to get a tenth of a mile per gallon better gas mileage. Progress!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would've thought it was just the opposite that newer tech would need less care (yeah progress like u said lol) but i don't know anything about the difference in piston rings. is it something they have to use for emissions (green) reasons i'm guessing?

i haven't had much luck with cars the past 2 goes. my last car was one of the dieselgate volkswagons. i was a huge vw fan and i wanted to keep that one forever but she was a lie and to undo that lie would've changed a lot that i loved about the car so i sold her back to vw as part of the settlement they offered. next i got the soul...i was just getting used to her, will she be the same, better, worse? how long has the engine been failing, long enuf to damage other systems? so many questions...at least vw laid these things out for us and gave us a choice...they stated what work they would do and how it would effect fuel efficiency power etc. wish kia would do something similar even if there's no choice more info would still be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i would've thought it was just the opposite that newer tech would need less care (yeah progress like u said lol) but i don't know anything about the difference in piston rings. is it something they have to use for emissions (green) reasons i'm guessing?

i haven't had much luck with cars the past 2 goes. my last car was one of the dieselgate volkswagons. i was a huge vw fan and i wanted to keep that one forever but she was a lie and to undo that lie would've changed a lot that i loved about the car so i sold her back to vw as part of the settlement they offered. next i got the soul...i was just getting used to her, will she be the same, better, worse? how long has the engine been failing, long enuf to damage other systems? so many questions...at least vw laid these things out for us and gave us a choice...they stated what work they would do and how it would effect fuel efficiency power etc. wish kia would do something similar even if there's no choice more info would still be appreciated.
Yes, exactly. It’s for emissions and fuel economy. The new engine should be just fine and perform as designed with no more issues and I don’t think anything else would have been damaged. Not in the little mileage you have on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, exactly. It’s for emissions and fuel economy. The new engine should be just fine and perform as designed with no more issues and I don’t think anything else would have been damaged. Not in the little mileage you have on it.
thank you & fingers crossed. i only read one story on here to the contrary so far, after the new engine, still had problems but eventually kia offered them several options which i thought were fair...monetary compensation in the form of actual money for their troubles & to keep the car & continue with repair efforts, or greater compensation in the form of credit towards a different vehicle, or a buyback. i was surprised to see it had gotten to that point for someone so i guess that's what has me wondering. also my dad said something about maybe the catalytic converter needs changing too but i don't recall his reasoning at the moment. i'm hopeful but still trying to do research just incase.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
the catalytic converter needs changing too but i don't recall his reasoning at the moment. i'm hopeful but still trying to do research just incase.
If the car had a lot of miles on it and it was burning oil for a long time, that can ruin the cat, but your car has very low mileage and wasn’t consuming huge amounts of oil, so it should be fine.

Federal emissions warranty on the cat is 8 years 80k miles, so if you did have an issue with it down the road, that would be covered too. But I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
When I got my first Soul, back in 2012, it only had a 1.6L engine. That seemed awfully small for a car of that size and weight. So, having worked in the maintenance business all my life, I decided to have a Sit-Down talk with my KIA Service Manager. I had already read my manual and I saw the chart that explains what constitutes SEVERE driving conditions.
My Service Manager specifically told me, that he considers every car driven in Florida, as being driven under Severe conditions, because of the one thing we have here that other states don't have.....SUGAR SAND.

Our sand here is not like the sand in the northern states which is very small pebbles. Our sand is like sugar, and when it gets driven on, it grinds to powder, like Powdered Sugar. It gets into machinery and just eats it up!
So, we agreed that my choice of 3k oil changes was actually a good idea. I live on a sand road.
And I asked him if a K&N Air cleaner would be OK, and he said "YES". A wet filter material will trap microscopic dust particles that a dry filter will not.

What we're discussing here can all be categorized under one heading...."Maintenance".
At just five years old, I realized the value of good maintenance, and when the wheels on my tricycle would start squeaking, I'd run and get dad's oil can and lubricate them.
One day, a lady came past our house pushing a baby carriage and it was squeaking loudly. I grabbed the trusty oil can and went out and oiled those noisy wheels. The lady was amazed that such a little boy, would know how to do such a thing. My dad had taught me the benefit of good maintenance. That was a lesson I learned well.

Sorry this ran so long.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I got my first Soul, back in 2012, it only had a 1.6L engine. That seemed awfully small for a car of that size and weight. So, having worked in the maintenance business all my life, I decided to have a Sit-Down talk with my KIA Service Manager. I had already read my manual and I saw the chart that explains what constitutes SEVERE driving conditions.
My Service Manager specifically told me, that he considers every car driven in Florida, as being driven under Severe conditions, because of the one thing we have here that other states don't have.....SUGAR SAND.

Our sand here is not like the sand in the northern states which is very small pebbles. Our sand is like sugar, and when it gets driven on, it grinds to powder, like Powdered Sugar. It gets into machinery and just eats it up!
So, we agreed that my choice of 3k oil changes was actually a good idea. I live on a sand road.
And I asked him if a K&N Air cleaner would be OK, and he said "YES". A wet filter material will trap microscopic dust particles that a dry filter will not.

What we're discussing here can all be categorized under one heading...."Maintenance".
At just five years old, I realized the value of good maintenance, and when the wheels on my tricycle would start squeaking, I'd run and get dad's oil can and lubricate them.
One day, a lady came past our house pushing a baby carriage and it was squeaking loudly. I grabbed the trusty oil can and went out and oiled those noisy wheels. The lady was amazed that such a little boy, would know how to do such a thing. My dad had taught me the benefit of good maintenance. That was a lesson I learned well.

Sorry this ran so long.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:
yes after learning a few things recently on this forum, that severe mnx schedule for one, am gonna go with that in the future. better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dealers want to sell you a new car ASAP. Their advice on 7K OCIs is terrible.
If you want your engine to last longer, use the Severe Schedule for oil changes and always keep the oil level at FULL.

Reactions: FLHamster

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do 5k changes on my 2010 and 3k on my 2014. Even at the last early change at 2500ish miles on my 2014 it was blacker then my 2010s at 5k... GDI's KILL oil. Change it often period!

PS: Also always use a OEM filter! :)
i must admit i'm really not used to cars that need such frequent oil changes but now i know. not sure i'll ever get another kia tho...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its not a Kia thing. You can do 5k oil changes. 10k. You're choice...

wow. eye opening. i could see how i never came to this conclusion myself...bcuz i haven't had a car with high miles since i was a teenager and that was a long flipping time ago (and back then all advice was the same, every 5K change oil). my last 3 cars were VWs...could go 10K with them on synthetic no problem, or so i've been led to believe...all dealership cared for never any probs but one got totaled at 24K, one got bought back due to dieselgate scam with 21K, and one got traded in (for the kia) at 40K (and was only that high cuz i bought her at 30K). that's the past 15 yrs of cars for me and never had i run into anything like this with the kia. honestly its not a big deal to changed every 5K i've just been led to believe, like others, that it isn't necessary anymore. this makes sense to us old timers cuz we think, newer tech, new kinds of oil, book says can go longer, dealership says...why not? now i know, esp if i want something to make it into old age...!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts