Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I decided to no longer go to the dealership for the oil exchange and to it myself.
Since there is a shortage in Walmart, These are the only two I found.
Which do you recommend ?
(2016 Soul automatic 60000 miles)
Full synthetic and Purolator / Bosch mid-grade filters (around $7-$8).
I change the oil ever 3k and the filter every 6k.
The Dorman aluminum crush washer on the Kia Soul has not been changed for the past three oil changes.
No leaks.

I use a Fumoto F106N Drain Valve, instead of the OEM drain pan bolt, on the Hyundai. I also use a Pela Oil Extractor pump on both Hyunkia vehicles we own. I use the Oil Extractor pump every-other-oil change, when I do not change the oil filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are people running 10w30 in the kia souls? Is it safe to do so? Did manufacturers just drop oil weight to get gas milage up.With our hot summers oil is like water.Seems like need to put heaver oil in.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Are people running 10w30 in the kia souls? Is it safe to do so? Did manufacturers just drop oil weight to get gas milage up.With our hot summers oil is like water.Seems like need to put heaver oil in.
Yes, yes and yes.

This is from the US manual for Souls up to 2021.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

2022 they changed it to 0w20 for the 2.0L and don’t have the others listed anymore.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Electronic device Parallel

But in other countries you can go as high as 20w50.
Font Parallel Rectangle Number Document

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I manage to get today the OEM filter of Hyundai and the price was surprisingly reasonable (about 13$).
I know they are practically the same company but just want to be sure - Is this filter a good match to
Kia Soul ?
View attachment 139339
Yes for the Soul. They can be had for under at or under $10, even at the dealer here, or on Amazon etc and come with the crush washer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Are people running 10w30 in the kia souls? Is it safe to do so? Did manufacturers just drop oil weight to get gas mileage up.With our hot summers oil is like water.Seems like need to put heaver oil in.
A guy in Masachusset runs 10w40 in Boston winters. His engine is right around 200k right now and uses little oil.

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A guy in Masachusset runs 10w40 in Boston winters. His engine is right around 200k right now and uses little oil.
I love seeing his monthly oil change posts, lol. A couple more months he’ll be at 200k miles on that 1.6L GDI engine. Same engine as the base Soul. He’s using 15w50 in it now 😮. That’s a little too thick for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I did the oil exchange today, My first one on this car, and It was easier than I expected.
I managed to avoid removing the splash cover, and the access to the oil bolt and the filter was pretty easy.
I used 5 support points to secure the car, used everything I got, because I need my face for next exchanges :).

Thank you all for your great advises !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I did the oil exchange today, My first one on this car, and It was easier than I expected.
I managed to avoid removing the splash cover, and the access to the oil bolt and the filter was pretty easy.
I used 5 support points to secure the car, used everything I got, because I need my face for next exchanges :).

Thank you all for your great advises !!!
:unsure: Looks good up in the air! I use ramps for quick and easy access for the oil change. ;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
:unsure: Looks good up in the air! I use ramps for quick and easy access for the oil change. ;)
I have metal ramps but don’t use them. I’m scared I’ll drive off them 😳. I can shimmy just enough of me under the car when it’s on the ground to get to the drain plug and oil filter. The 1.6L makes it easy because the drain plug is right up front of the oil pan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
You are right, but since I try to save space in my garage, Jack + Jack stands was the obvious choice since it allows me to do all the things that ramps will , and much more,for example break pads exchange.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I have metal ramps but don’t use them. I’m scared I’ll drive off them 😳. I can shimmy just enough of me under the car when it’s on the ground to get to the drain plug and oil filter. The 1.6L makes it easy because the drain plug is right up front of the oil pan.
Yes even without lifting the car, the pan bolt was surprisingly accessible, but the filter was much less accessible but I think that I could remove it with a bit of a struggle. anyway lifting the car made things much easier.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yes even without lifting the car, the pan bolt was surprisingly accessible, but the filter was much less accessible but I think that I could remove it with a bit of a struggle. anyway lifting the car made things much easier.
If you haven’t already, I highly recommend getting one of these oil filter end cap wrenches and a socket extension. This one (80mm 15 flutes) fits the blue OEM filter perfectly.

Automotive tire Window Wheel Tire Camera accessory

·
Registered
452 Posts
:) Here is a photo of my plastic ramps in action.;)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Blue

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,450 Posts
Great job! Like rhysoul says, get one of these filter sockets and access and removal becomes easy peasy. You will chuckle at how fast it is.
Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Gas Lens

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Great job! Like rhysoul says, get one of these filter sockets and access and removal becomes easy peasy. You will chuckle at how fast it is.
View attachment 139524
I actually bought one with the Fram filter I bought first it was 74-76 mm and I verified that it fits the filter, Later I found that the Kia filter is a bit bigger I used a similar extendible version of this I had in my tools.
The Fram filter and the socket going back to the store.

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
768 Posts
I recently purchased a set of low profile ramps (already had Rhino Ramps and low profile jack and jack stands). Even though I feel comfortable driving onto the Rhinos, the low profiles were much easier to drive onto, and provided enough clearance to do the oil change.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,450 Posts
I recently purchased a set of low profile ramps (already had Rhino Ramps and low profile jack and jack stands). Even though I feel comfortable driving onto the Rhinos, the low profiles were much easier to drive onto, and provided enough clearance to do the oil change.

Those look way better than mine Hank. I made a poor mans auto ramps with some leftover 2x6's.
Plant Wood Road surface Asphalt Rectangle

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
768 Posts
Those look way better than mine Hank. I made a poor mans auto ramps with some leftover 2x6's.
View attachment 139533
Yours was cheaper though...and if they work, nothing wrong with that! I wanted something to make jacking up my wife's Mazda5 easier when I did tire rotations.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
View attachment 139533
That’s what I want to make, just a little more fancy looking. I think I’d feel more comfortable driving up wooden ramps than the metal ones which has a pretty steep incline.

I think I’ll follow this guys video

Reactions: GeoSoul
41 - 60 of 63 Posts