Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I manage to get today the OEM filter of Hyundai and the price was surprisingly reasonable (about 13$).
I know they are practically the same company but just want to be sure - Is this filter a good match to
Kia Soul ?
View attachment 139339
Its the right filter. It’s the same filter Kia uses, except it would be in a Kia box. When you open it it will have written on it:

Hyundai / Kia Motors.

It’s a good filter, but wowweee the price went up some since the last time I got mine. Now I order 6 at a time from an online Hyundai or Kia dealer (whichever is cheapest). Price + shipping and tax, last time I got them averaged out to about 8.50 per filter. Which was about what Walmart charged for them last year. So not bad.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Its the right filter. It’s the same filter Kia uses, except it would be in a Kia box. When you open it it will have written on it:

Hyundai / Kia Motors.

It’s a good filter, but wowweee the price went up some since the last time I got mine. Now I order 6 at a time from an online Hyundai or Kia dealer (whichever is cheapest). Price + shipping and tax, last time I got them averaged out to about 8.50 per filter. Which was about what Walmart charged for them last year. So not bad.
I should mention it’s a good idea to replace the drain plug crush washer every time you change your oil, but going a couple of times using the same one shouldn’t cause any leaks.

Here are the ones I got last year.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,450 Posts
That's a great oil rhysoul. Valvoline meets the newer GF-6 & API SP standards (up from the old GF-5 & API SN+ ratings). I mean, why not use the oil that will keep these engines cleaner & lubricated to the highest level technology currently has to offer. The price difference is marginal, if any.

I'm not sure if Total Quartz is there yet, the Amazon listing showed this:
  • Quartz 9000 Future lubricants use TOTAL's fuel economy technology to increase performance while providing real savings; Available in SAE 5W-20/SAE 5W-30/SAE 10W-30
  • API SN, ILSAC GF-5

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That's a great oil rhysoul. Valvoline meets the newer GF-6 & API SP standards (up from the old GF-5 & API SN+ ratings). I mean, why not use the oil that will keep these engines cleaner & lubricated to the highest level technology currently has to offer. The price difference is marginal, if any.

I'm not sure if Total Quartz is there yet, the Amazon listing showed this:
  • Quartz 9000 Future lubricants use TOTAL's fuel economy technology to increase performance while providing real savings; Available in SAE 5W-20/SAE 5W-30/SAE 10W-30
  • API SN, ILSAC GF-5
The thing about Total. A couple people on here think it’s the bees knees because it’s advertised in the Kia owners manual as their recommended oil. They don’t seem to realize it’s just a paid advertisement. Just like Quaker State is a paid advertisement in the Hyundai owners manuals. Same engines of course.

Total is a good oil, but not well known or available in the US. Good luck finding it in any store and if you find it online, it’s overpriced. Any API SP GF-6 (most oil you find in the store meets this standard now) oil you find on the shelf at Walmart or your local auto parts store is perfectly fine for your Kia engine, and it’s readily available and reasonably priced.

Valvoline, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil 1 and even Super Tech and other store brands are perfectly fine oils for our engines and are all easily found at your local store.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
The thing about Total. A couple people on here think it’s the bees knees because it’s advertised in the Kia owners manual as their recommended oil. They don’t seem to realize it’s just a paid advertisement. Just like Quaker State is a paid advertisement in the Hyundai owners manuals. Same engines of course.

Total is a good oil, but not well known or available in the US. Good luck finding it in any store and if you find it online, it’s overpriced. Any API SP GF-6 oil you find on the shelf at Walmart or your local auto parts store is perfectly fine for your Kia engine, and it’s readily available and reasonably priced.

Valvoline, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil 1 and even Super Tech are perfectly fine oils for our engines and are all easily found at your local store.
Good point! I don't have a Walmart near me, but just ordered a 5 qt jug of Castrol online from them to deliver today. Their prices on oil are just too good.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Good point! I don't have a Walmart near me, but just ordered a 5 gal jug of Castrol online from them to deliver today. Their prices on oil are just too good.
They do have the best prices on oil. Like Walmart or not, you can’t find oil (at regular prices) cheaper. Autozone wants $35 for the same 5 quart jug of Valvoline that’s like $23 at my Walmart. Autozone is only good for dumping your used motor oil 🤭

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
They do have the best prices on oil. Like Walmart or not, you can’t find oil (at regular prices) cheaper. Autozone wants $35 for the same 5 quart jug of Valvoline that’s like $23 at my Walmart. Autozone is only good for dumping your used motor oil 🤭
Yeah, and with free delivery for online orders, it's a sweet deal. In my area, you can put out up to 4 gallons of used motor oil, in gallon jugs (I use an old milk jug) per month for recycle. This really makes changing my own oil easy & pretty dang cheap.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
This is what I got. Me likey!
View attachment 139347
Magnatec is good oil, It has been discontinued for the picture below. I think they’re trying to “simplify” their product line and went with this. It’s basically the same thing in a new fancy bottle.

Font Auto part Poster Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Magnatec is good oil, It has been discontinued for the picture below. I think they’re trying to “simplify” their product line and went with this. It’s basically the same thing in a new fancy bottle.

View attachment 139348
Maybe that's why it was on sale? Thanks for the heads up! It looks like they decided to simplify marketing in January, which I think was a smart move.

I'll probably just buy whatever full synthetic brand that meets GF-6 & API SP ratings that has the cheapest price.

I have been using Amazon Basics full synthetic. They'll probably upgrade to the new ratings in time.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
...I'll probably just buy whatever full synthetic brand that meets GF-6 & API SP ratings that has the cheapest price....
I'm currently using Kirkland Signature 5W-30 Full Synthetic ** from Costco. The 5QT jug 2-pack when I bought it was cheaper than SuperTech at Walmart.

** the page description says API SN, ILSAC GF-5 but the picture (have to zoom in) shows API SP, ILSAC GF-6A which is what is printed on my jug purchased last year.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
I'm currently using Kirkland Signature 5W-30 Full Synthetic ** from Costco. The 5QT jug 2-pack when I bought it was cheaper than SuperTech at Walmart.

** the page description says API SN, ILSAC GF-5 but the picture (have to zoom in) shows API SP, ILSAC GF-6A which is what is printed on my jug purchased last year.
Was $27.99 last September for case of 2 5-Qt jugs. Probably not that now :(

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about Kirkland. ...Still less than $20 a jug tho.
Because of this thread I checked back with Pennzoil. They're offering a $25 digital gift card with purchase of two 5-Qt containers of full synthetic from a participating retailer of which Walmart is one (back on the participating list after having been off the list which is why I went in search of another brand).

If the ecard can be used anywhere and with Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra (for high performance vehicles) selling for $24 & $25 per jug at Walmart that's like buy one - get one free (less than $13 per jug).

I need to buy more OEM oil filters, only one left in the 6-pk I bought.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Because of this thread I checked back with Pennzoil. They're offering a $25 digital gift card with purchase of two 5-Qt containers of full synthetic from a participating retailer of which Walmart is one (back on the participating list after having been off the list which is why I went in search of another brand).

If the ecard can be used anywhere and with Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra (for high performance vehicles) selling for $24 & $25 per jug at Walmart that's like buy one - get one free (less than $13 per jug).

I need to buy more OEM oil filters, only one left in the 6-pk I bought.
Thanks, that’s a good deal. I might get a couple jugs even though I don’t really need it...

Last November Walmart had a “pricing error” and was selling 5qt Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 bundled with a roll of blue Scott shop towels for $2.19 or something. They had it backwards it’s should have been buy the oil get the towels free but they had it buy the towels get the oil free! I bought six 5 qt jugs for under $15.

• Haha
Reactions: Dougiefresh

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Thanks, that’s a good deal. I might get a couple jugs even though I don’t really need it...

Last November Walmart had a “pricing error” and was selling 5qt Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 bundled with a roll of blue Scott shop towels for $2.19 or something. They had it backwards it’s should have been buy the oil get the towels free but they had it buy the towels get the oil free! I bought six 5 qt jugs for under $15.
Wow!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts