Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
500 Posts
Either one should do. Both are full synthetic it looks like and as long as you change regularly(at least once a year or every 5000 miles or so) you should be fine. Do buy a high quality filter though. Wix is a very good one and the NAPA Gold filters are made by them. Don't buy the cheapest filter you can find as the cheaper ones tend to plug up easier and will then allow the oil to bypass the filter completely.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either one should do. Both are full synthetic it looks like and as long as you change regularly(at least once a year or every 5000 miles or so) you should be fine. Do buy a high quality filter though. Wix is a very good one and the NAPA Gold filters are made by them. Don't buy the cheapest filter you can find as the cheaper ones tend to plug up easier and will then allow the oil to bypass the filter completely.
The Valvoline is synthetic blend. Is the synthetic always better than the blend ?
How is the Fram PH9688 filter ? It was 9.99$ compared to the Super Tech which was 3.42$

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The full synthetic one (Castrol GTX). Both are good, but for our filthy direct injected engines I’d go with the full synthetic one and stick to an oil change interval of 4000 miles but no more than 5000 miles.

I wouldn’t use a Fram filter if someone paid me. They’re not terrible (except for the orange one) I just do not like the brand.

Walmart and AutoZone sell the OEM Blue Hyundai/Kia filter for around the same price as that Fram you mentioned (cheaper at W*M). The WIX/Napa one is good too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The full synthetic one (Castrol GTX). Both are good, but for our filthy direct injected engines I’d go with the full synthetic one and stick to an oil change interval of 4000 miles but no more than 5000 miles.

I wouldn’t use a Fram filter if someone paid me. They’re not terrible (except for the orange one) I just do not like the brand.

Walmart and AutoZone sell the OEM Blue Hyundai/Kia filter for around the same price as that Fram you mentioned (cheaper at W*M). The WIX/Napa one is good too.
Thank you, Ill look for the OEM filter.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,460 Posts
Going forward I'm looking for the GF-6 & API SP ratings on the bottle. It used to be GF5 & SN+, but they've gotten even better with cleaning and protection for GDI engines especially. Extra thanks to GeekontheHill for the education on this.

Search results for query: Gf-6

Something like this
Font Electric blue Advertising

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going forward I'm looking for the GF-6 & API SP ratings on the bottle. It used to be GF5 & SN+, but they've gotten even better with cleaning and protection for GDI engines especially. Extra thanks to GeekontheHill for the education on this.
I just looked at the back of the Castrol GTX bottle I have, and it is GF-6 , API SP.
Thank you !

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I prefer full synthetic, any brand, and an OEM filter. If I run out of OEM filters or can't get one for some reason I've used Purolator, Mobil 1, and Fram (yeah, I'm not a big fan but their "upgraded" filter isn't terrible) without any issues. And I'm at almost 190k miles from brand new.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
500 Posts
I run full synthetic in both daily driver cars. Silly not too considering modern engines. My older cars get Dino oil as they do not really need the Synthetic due to light usage. I should have mentioned the Kia filter. I will claim age and brain fart as excuse. I have used them in the past and probably will in the future. The important thing is to use one made for a modern engine and made to do it's job well for a long time... .

·
Registered
850 Posts
Almost time for my 2nd lof. Dealer uses 5w20 mobil 1 full synthetic. When I used to do my own oil changes I always used castrol. Thought about buying castrol myself and letting them use it but $10.00 difference is not that much. Might start buying castrol in the future but for now I'll just let them use the mobil 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I decided to no longer go to the dealership for the oil exchange and to it myself.
Since there is a shortage in Walmart, These are the only two I found.
Which do you recommend ?
(2016 Soul automatic 60000 miles)
I use 10-30 full synthetic as well. Royal Purple if on sale. I know I’m going to get flamed, but even the Walmart filter works well. The key is oil changes between 3-6 k intervals. The ONE thing not mentioned is to use new crush washer each time on the plug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All car companies have been forced to squeeze every tenth of a gallon MPG to meet federal standards. 5-20 is much thinner this a tad less resistance. Even my Ford F-150 twin turbo calls for 5-20 synthetic. It gets 10-30 as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I manage to get today the OEM filter of Hyundai and the price was surprisingly reasonable (about 13$).
I know they are practically the same company but just want to be sure - Is this filter a good match to
Kia Soul ?
Gadget Tin Rectangle Carton Packaging and labeling

1 - 20 of 63 Posts