Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I have a 2015 Kia Soul! with 52k miles on it. I took it in for maintenance to get the oil and filter replaced. I also had to get the automatic transmission fluid exchanged, and a GDI injection service. Then I had to buy a new battery somewhere cheaper. I paid about 600 bucks altogether, which annihilated my budget for the month. On top of that when I was driving home one of my windshield wipers broke and it was funny.

There are still a few things they recommended. One was to replace the fuel tank air filter. When I googled it I just found diagrams or parts that sounded vaguely like what I was looking for. It could be that I just don't know what I'm looking at. My question is: where do you buy that? Is that something that you replace yourself (the dealer charges $90)? I watched this video from 2011 about how to replace it and it looks alright.

Also I'm new to the forum, and the Kia Soul is the first car I ever bought and I want to baby this thing for as long as I can, so I look forward to hearing from you all.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
784 Posts
Welcome to the forum. 1st, if you have an owner's manual in your car, look up the service interval section. If you don't here is a link. Kia Soul owners manuals, user guides, repair, service manuals
Dealer recommendations are just that. recommendations. Other than regular oil/filter changes, you don't need all their recommendations, unless you are having issues with the car. Are you having specific issues ? Some dealers are better than others about pushing not needed upsale services on customers.

·
Registered
774 Posts
To answer your question I work at a dealer and the only fuel tank filters I have ever changed would be on the early Sorentos that had a recall for them and never on any other Kia nor have I seen one to be honest. Kia does not use a fuel pump filter or an inline fuel filter so I don't even know what it would do or why it would need replaced. Your fuel tank has a couple of vents, one vent is called the vent valve and that opens when you are putting gas in your car so air can come out in place of the gas or it will shoot back at you as you're filling it. One is the purge valve which is up by your engine, it is connected to your fuel tank via a hose and it burns the vapors by injecting them into your engine all controlled by the ECM. Maybe your dealer is way more informed than I am but I will check tomorrow to see if there is a part number for it. If you want to have a look just lift up your rear seat, you don't need to remove the bolts in the back as you can lift it up enough to look, under there you will find a little square plate, that is how you access your fuel pump and sending unit and see the top of your tank.
One quick question, if you do a search on here one of the most common problems is having a non Kia battery, auto parts store batteries have a smaller post and the positive cable cannot be secured properly. Pop your hood, open the little plastic cap on the positive cable and then take your hand, grab it good and try to turn the cable, if you are able to wiggle it or move it a bit you need a different battery.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Could it be the air filter on the vapour canister?? Why would they recommend replacing that?? Is the OP driving on alot of gravel roads??

·
Registered
544 Posts
It allows the vapours in the canister to vent during purging by allowing fresh air in. There is a valve between it and the canister. The filter can get clogged by gravel dust.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum. 1st, if you have an owner's manual in your car, look up the service interval section. If you don't here is a link. Kia Soul owners manuals, user guides, repair, service manuals
Dealer recommendations are just that. recommendations. Other than regular oil/filter changes, you don't need all their recommendations, unless you are having issues with the car. Are you having specific issues ? Some dealers are better than others about pushing not needed upsale services on customers.
Thanks, I really do need to look through those manuals. I wasn't having any issues, they just said I was due for a transmission fluid exchange and the GDI injection service. I read somewhere that GDI injection is a Kia/Hyundai thing, and I couldn't find any estimates online of how much that would be at a regular mechanic. But the transmission fluid exchange I probably could've paid 100 dollars less. Live and learn. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer your question I work at a dealer and the only fuel tank filters I have ever changed would be on the early Sorentos that had a recall for them and never on any other Kia nor have I seen one to be honest. Kia does not use a fuel pump filter or an inline fuel filter so I don't even know what it would do or why it would need replaced. Your fuel tank has a couple of vents, one vent is called the vent valve and that opens when you are putting gas in your car so air can come out in place of the gas or it will shoot back at you as you're filling it. One is the purge valve which is up by your engine, it is connected to your fuel tank via a hose and it burns the vapors by injecting them into your engine all controlled by the ECM. Maybe your dealer is way more informed than I am but I will check tomorrow to see if there is a part number for it. If you want to have a look just lift up your rear seat, you don't need to remove the bolts in the back as you can lift it up enough to look, under there you will find a little square plate, that is how you access your fuel pump and sending unit and see the top of your tank.
One quick question, if you do a search on here one of the most common problems is having a non Kia battery, auto parts store batteries have a smaller post and the positive cable cannot be secured properly. Pop your hood, open the little plastic cap on the positive cable and then take your hand, grab it good and try to turn the cable, if you are able to wiggle it or move it a bit you need a different battery.
Thanks, yeah there's a line on the work order that says:

MA124 Filter, Fuel Tank Air - Replace 0.5 hr. 89.95

Because I asked, the service advisor wrote down that it had to be replaced every 5 years or 80k. I will definitely take a look at the battery asap. Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be the air filter on the vapour canister?? Why would they recommend replacing that?? Is the OP driving on alot of gravel roads??
So the notes I have on the work order say that they recommend changing it every 5 years or 80k miles.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks, yeah there's a line on the work order that says:

MA124 Filter, Fuel Tank Air - Replace 0.5 hr. 89.95

Because I asked, the service advisor wrote down that it had to be replaced every 5 years or 80k. I will definitely take a look at the battery asap. Thanks
It's kind of comical because I work on probably 3-6 Souls a day and never paid attention that it is in fact there as I looked today. I have never installed one filter on the tank as I have never had one give me a problem even on cars that live off dirt roads. For that matter the Soul Evap system is rarely problematic except for a few purge valves here and there. I have smoke tested numerous Optimas that had leaks, Sportages etc..
The manual does tell you that it is a maintenance part so if you are strict on following the manual (a good idea) then go for it but in my opinion it is one of those things that I would leave alone unless it gives you a problem. The vent valves main purpose is to prevent gas shooting back at you when you are fueling up and to seal off the tank which it will do filter or no filter so unless it is clogged and unable to vent and you get gas shooting back when gassing up I think you will be just fine. I do recall replacing the filter on a 2003 Sorento a couple of months ago, it had 210k on the car and it was the original filter and it was fine but there was a recall so we installed the new part on it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So it is a real thing. Huh.
I think I'd go with ignoring it if no problem.
Or from post #3, sounds not too hard to access and diy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On my 2011 if you go under the back end you will see a 1" diameter rubber hose coming from the purge valve on the gas tank. Goes onto a air filter and then another hose going up towards the fuel fill opening.

Changing them is a 2 minute job.
Google kia soul parts and look at the schematics for your car to find the part# then Google the part number to find best price.

I've changed it a couple times when my purge valve went bad and paid $12 for an oem one on ebay.
But just Google the part# to see

·
Registered
511 Posts
On my 2011 if you go under the back end you will see a 1" diameter rubber hose coming from the purge valve on the gas tank. Goes onto a air filter and then another hose going up towards the fuel fill opening.
To clarify, is the purge valve connected directly to the gas tank or the EVAP canister?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It is connected to the engine and is right up under the hood by the intake. The line from it runs back under the car.
Thanks. Got it. The EVAP purge valve up front. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no purge valve connected directly to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Purge valve is up by the engine as it needs manifold vacuum. It has 2 hoses, one is a vacuum hose from the intake and the other is the hose that runs back to the tank. The ECU controls how much vapors to purge by duty cycling the purge valve based on the data from the fuel tank pressure sensor, engine speed and load etc... The valve back by the tank and charcoal canister is the vent valve. It seals during the purge process and opens when you are filling your tank so as fuel enters the air can be displaced. If you were to shut your car off and sit by it for about an hour you would hear some clicks as the ECU checks the system for evap leaks while sitting. It would also activate if let's say the car was sitting in the hot sun and fuel vapors would increase pressure and make the tank start swelling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts