Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my USB port to charge my cell. Not always but often the Soul sound system thinks the presence of a device means I want to play MP3 files and so I get a message: "Searching for media" and the system continues to interrupt the radio with this constant searching. At other times, I have no problem at all - radio plays uninterrupted and my phone charges. Can someone explain how I can avoid this annoying process or otherwise I have no way to charge my phone in the car. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've never seen that problem, but......
I don't plug my phone into the USB port either.
I plug it into a charger port on a little gizmo that plugs into the Lighter Plug socket.
That doesn't let the radio think that I'm plugging in something that might have music on it.
My phone charges just fine, without affecting the radio at all.

This is what I have. A friend gave it to me and it works great. Sits in the cup holder.
Car Cigarette Lighter Charger Power Adapter Splitter 2 Sockets Dual USB Ports | eBay

Give that a try.

TechnoMage :cool:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
USB port is useless. Doesn't charge phones.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
The USB port is for playing music.... NOT for charging phones!!!! :vibration_mode:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I use my USB port to charge my cell. Not always but often the Soul sound system thinks the presence of a device means I want to play MP3 files and so I get a message: "Searching for media" and the system continues to interrupt the radio with this constant searching. At other times, I have no problem at all - radio plays uninterrupted and my phone charges. Can someone explain how I can avoid this annoying process or otherwise I have no way to charge my phone in the car. Thank you.
Get one of these and stick it in the 12volt cigarette lighter receptacle next to the USB port. Then plug your cable into it instead of the cars usb ports.

Robot Check

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
as already mentioned it does tell you in the owners manual not to use it for that purpose, it causes problems. I could be more precise but as we don't know the details of your Soul - year and model I can't :sneakiness:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can't speak to Canada specifically, but those cigarette lighter plug in chargers are available at virtually any store. Walmart, etc. Even our neighborhood drug store has them.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Can't speak to Canada specifically, but those cigarette lighter plug in chargers are available at virtually any store. Walmart, etc. Even our neighborhood drug store has them.
ditto for Canada :sneakiness:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I plugged my iPhone into the usb yesterday for the first time I wanted to use the gps from the iPhone since I was traveling to an unfamiliar destination. The. Radio cut off and the gps directions came through the speaker system. It was actually good because I could hear directions very clearly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I plugged my iPhone into the usb yesterday for the first time I wanted to use the gps from the iPhone since I was traveling to an unfamiliar destination. The. Radio cut off and the gps directions came through the speaker system. It was actually good because I could hear directions very clearly.
Interesting got me wondering if this is the same wth bluetooth now.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you can find one, a "charge-only" USB cable might work. It has only the power lines, not the data lines.

But you're really better off with a cigarette lighter adapter, preferably one rated at 2.1 amps. It will charge the phone more quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts