Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting some rims on my soul. Has anyone found a list of other cars that have a matching bolt pattern and back spacing? Just want to see if there is any wheels from other models that might be better priced.

Thanks.
Steve

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
There have been a few, mainly other KIAs which use the same bolt pattern. The two that come to mind are some from the K900 and the other is an Optima. There are threads on both of these. But other than those two, I do not believe any others have been mentioned.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Can't speak to the '14 Souls, but on our '10, we just found wheels that matched the original diameter/width, bolt pattern, and offset (in millimeters). That last is important for handling and tire clearance. We bought alloys with winter tires from someone who was returning an Acura Integra he had leased. We could also have gotten some Mazda and Mitsubishi wheels meeting the same specs. These fit fine.

One thing to check on aftermarket wheels is whether they're "hub-centric" or "lug-centric". This is important because you need to use the right lug nuts or the wheels will wobble or even loosen. Most aftermarket alloy wheels are hub-centric and require conical lug nuts. Some even will require small adapters/rings which help center the wheel on the hub before they are bolted down.

Many OEM wheels (steel and alloy) are lug-centric because they don't have to accommodate different hub sizes (as aftermarket wheels do). If you're moving from alloy wheels to alloy wheels (as we did on my wife's '10 +), you should be able to use the same lug nuts. On my VW, I use OEM steel wheels with the winter tires, so I have a separate set of rounded-seat lug nuts I use for those wheels and a set of conical lug nuts for the "summer" alloys and tires. They're cheap and I don't have to worry about the wheels falling off. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
This is oft-discussed on the Forum, the Search function is your friend.

The Kia uses a VERY common 5x114.3 lug circle, and a fairly-common 45mm (or so) offset, and the Soul in particular can take a fairly wide range of wheel choices. What's NOT common is the hub bore or the size of center circle of the hub itself. Kia is a 67mm, same as Mazda, Hyundai and Mitsubishi, so most Mazda and Mitsu wheels fit (think Evo, Eclipse, Mazda 3,5,7, Tiburon and others).

You can - and I have - bore out a Nissan 66.1mm hub to fit, while carefully using a Dremel, but it's not recommended.

Note that the hub bore is important while centering and properly torque-ing the lug nuts, but often doesn't add structurally to the wheel/hub interface, which is why many "hubcentric rings" in aftermarket wheels are made of plastic. That's OK, but with ANY wheel you should regularly check lug torque, maybe about as often as you check tire pressure. Yeah, that's anal, but I've never lost a wheel!

While many Honda and Toyota stock wheels share the 5.114.3 bolt pattern, their hub bores are very small and are difficult or impossible to safely bore out to accommodate the Kia hub.

Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts