Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I am in the market for a car, but I use a manual wheelchair. Have any of you modified a Soul for use in a wheelchair? Have you taken out seats or installed a rear entry ramp? Let me know what you think! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hi everybody!

I am in the market for a car, but I use a manual wheelchair. Have any of you modified a Soul for use in a wheelchair? Have you taken out seats or installed a rear entry ramp? Let me know what you think! Thanks!
There's a guy on here that set up one of the hitches to carry a wheelchair in the back of the car. I think that would be a tall order, no pun intended, to ramp into the back of the car as it's pretty steep. I don't know the logistics of how it works going into and out of the wheelchair from a car, so I don't know that I could be much more help than that.

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,091 Posts
Hi everybody!

Here's the thread JD mentioned, you might want to start a private conversation with the OP and ask him about how he's been modifying his Gen2 Soul:
I need a much stronger suspension

Here's a search using the Advanced Search tool for "wheelchair" and this topic has been discussed here before so you should read through these threads for ideas:
Search results for query: Wheelchair

Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a guy on here that set up one of the hitches to carry a wheelchair in the back of the car. I think that would be a tall order, no pun intended, to ramp into the back of the car as it's pretty steep. I don't know the logistics of how it works going into and out of the wheelchair from a car, so I don't know that I could be much more help than that.
Thanks, man!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, dude! Any bit of info helps!
From my experience the only way a wheelchair fits in a Soul is putting the seat backs down and manhandling the wheelchair into the rear/cargo area. I have a Gen one 2011, but I doubt the Gen three is much larger. The only other option is some kind of exterior carrying device. What I did as a Non-Emergency Ride Share driver is modify a hitch mounted Cargo Carrier. You still need to lift the chair up about 14 inches, then pull a strap to hold it in place. I can try to attach a picture if you are interested in what I did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think we all would like you to join the Kia Soul club, but if you want something you can access the vehicle with your wheelchair plus stay in the chair while driving you likely would need something like a handicap modified or fully equipped vehicle like a Dodge Caravan or other minivan. I’ve seen these vehicles setup for what you are describing. I suggest going to a going to a “Mobility Equipment Sales & Service” company and just asking them for advice regarding what you need and they can suggest vehicle types that would work best for you, and what’s in your price range. Before retiring as an Auto damage appraiser, I inspected a few of these fully handicap modified Dodge Caravans but I also inspected a setup where a smaller sized pickup truck had a small boom type lift mounted in the bed that picked up the wheelchair from beside the truck then lifted it up and into the bed with a remote control, so there are various options, hope this was helpful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts