Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume the 18 inchers ride a little rougher than the 17 inchers and they both ride a little rougher than the 16 inchers -- assuming the tires are of similar quality.

Unless the speedo and odo get recalibrated, the bigger wheels mean lower profile tires means less cushy ride.

Right?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Having done plus 1&plus 2 conversions on other cars(not my Soul),a lot of the change in ride has to do
with tire selection if you are staying with a stock suspension.You can read reviews on the ride of tires.
Low end tires tend to give a poor ride.If you do correct tire size selection to match the OEM diameter
of the tire,there is no need to recalibrate the speedo.However,sizes are not a perfect match.If you get a slight taller
tire you'll be going faster than what is read on the speedo.I went from a 17" wheel to a 19" on one of my cars.
The ride actually improved due to the type of tire(Hankook V-12's).I would not recommend this tire for a Soul.
Way too expensive and its a summer ultra high performance.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Where do you read tire reviews? I'm looking to get an exclaim and am concerned about the 18" wheels and low profile tires. I do not want to get high performance tire because of cost and tread wear.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Where do you read tire reviews? I'm looking to get an exclaim and am concerned about the 18" wheels and low profile tires. I do not want to get high performance tire because of cost and tread wear.
Most of the tire reviews are right here on this sight. Especially a few lines and brands. The folks here have tried several brands that they are noisy about using, even if they wind up scraping their stock tires. As for the 18" tires, the handling will be fine but the ride may be bumpier because the tires are not the best. If you go to the Discount Tire sight here and put in for the tire size you want you can see the prices. A set of Michelin tires may run you 200 per installed or maybe slightly more. Of course if you pay for a new car and are satisfied with it, just wear out the tires that come with it.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
Lakeman, when I purchased my Exclaim I insisted my dealership change the 18's for 16's, basically they swapped the wheels/tires with a Plus. I still hated the Nexen tires but stuck with them for 30,000 miles. After the tires were changed to Yokohama YK580 ($113.00each) in size 205/55R16 the ride improved and was much quieter. I too was concerned about future tire cost and the harsh ride with the 18's.....I got my way and you can too! :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I sure do like the way the 18s look and I really like the wheels also. Will try them and see. I checked some pricing the other day and was surprised what I found. These were Michelin Primacy MXM4 GT all season.

Discount Tire-- 215/55R 17 $191
235/45R 18 $205

Tire Rack-- 215/55R 17 $169
235/45R 18 $169

I did not check shipping, may make up the difference, don't know. Also surprised that the 17" and 18" were the same price from the Tire Rack.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
don't forget the standard tire sizes keep increasing therefore the 17" and 18" are not expensive as what they used to be. Standard size on a 2014 model is 16", prior to that it was 15".

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well I had a 1967 SS-396 Chevelle and it had 14" wheels!! Times do change. Yes I know that wheels and tires are getting bigger, the prices I found were not that bad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lakeman, when I purchased my Exclaim I insisted my dealership change the 18's for 16's, basically they swapped the wheels/tires with a Plus. I still hated the Nexen tires but stuck with them for 30,000 miles. After the tires were changed to Yokohama YK580 ($113.00each) in size 205/55R16 the ride improved and was much quieter. I too was concerned about future tire cost and the harsh ride with the 18's.....I got my way and you can too! :)
Buzz, just how did you "insist that the dealer swap your 18s for 16s"?? I see you don't own a '14 and since the '14 + comes standard with 17s, I would think I would have trouble insisting that he swap my 18s for 16s. How would you advise me to "insist"? Also was there any money exchanged between you and the dealer for said swap? I would think the dealer would gladly make that trade without any money being exchanged because he is getting the better deal. In any case I would be tickled to death to be able to do that since I live in WV, I also have to buy snow tires and buying 16s would be a lot cheaper than 18? Please advise.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
I told the dealer if they want to sell me the car that's what it would take and as you said they got the better deal. They had no issue doing that for me as they wanted the sell bad and yes I don't have a 2014 but that shouldn't matter. If you dealer refuses.....find another dealer as most likely you will have issues down the road on something else. I have an awesome dealer who supports a KIA car club, gives out freebies, doesn't have a problem with aftermarket parts....we've even been able to use the dealership service bays for free to do mods. Again Southwest KIA of Mesquite has been a great dealer to do business with....I got a $100 cash & $100 in free service for referring my daughter to the dealership to purchase a used car! I don't know how many dealers are around your area.....I live in DFW where there are many KIA dealers.....shop around if you can or need to. :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
780 Posts
Try GOOGLE, you should find enough reviews to keep you busy.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
I also have to buy snow tires and buying 16s would be a lot cheaper than 18? Please advise.
you don't have to get 18" snows, just fit the 16" with steel rims like the base model. Many members with the older models that have the 18" regular tires are using 15" snows with no problem.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
When I bought my 2012 new the dealer bought back my 18s which I didn't want because of their style and choppy ride. The cost of new aftermarket wheels and Michelin tires in the 16" size were the same price as tires only in 18" size. So I was very happy doing it this way.

With my 2010 I loved the look of the 18s so I just kept them and got a set of Michelins. I have no problem with the ride of the 18s now with the new tires.

So the options are either pay for a new set of Michelins and keep the 18s or sell them off and buy a new set of wheels and tires in 16 or pay a little more for 17s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts