Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dream rims have a +35 offset and from what I understand the 18" OEM wheels on my Soul are +54. Is there something that can be done to increase the offset so that there isn't so much of a disparity? I know the rims can be used on a Soul because I've seen it at a auto show before but I don't know if they are "street safe."

FYI--I don't fully understand the concept of offset...all I know is you want to be close to OEM.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You can buy what are called "wheel spacers" (search for them with your favorite Web search engine). They'll do what you want. But they can/will increase wear on your suspension (physics at work) and may make steering harder. There's a thread on this forum about the acceptable offset range; you might want to check that out because you don't want to buy spacers any wider than they need to be.

·
Registered
728 Posts
understaning wheel offset and back spacing isn't difficult.

BUT, it is easy to get mixed up!!!

The OEM wheels have +54mm Offset
and 162 mm of back spacing, being a 7.5" wide wheel.

The wheels mentioned have +35mm Offset...
so this means they have 143 mm back spacing, if also a 7.5" wide wheel. This means there is 19 mm less back space.
Because of this the wheel will stick out towards the fender by about 19 mm (0.7''). Make sure that you have enough room under the fender.

Adding a wheel spacer is only going to decrease the offset and back space even more. We must keep in mind what part of the wheel needs to be moved and in what direction. Do not add a wheel spacer! A wheel spacer is only going to push the wheel out towards the fender.

As for trying to grasp the offset thing...
If the original wheel's offset is more positive (ie. +54 vs +35) the new wheels will stick out more towards the fender more. AND a wheel spacer is only going to decrease the space between the wheel and fender.
If the original wheel's offset is less positive (ie. the opposite of above +35 vs +54) the new wheels will stick in towards the suspension more. AND a wheel spacer will help push it out away from the suspension towards the fender.
I kind of think of it like "out = more vs less" , "less vs more = in" and when I visually & conceptually look at what I wrote the "vs" in the sayings is the suspension center-line.

hope this helps... and you don't need a wheel spacer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can buy what are called "wheel spacers" (search for them with your favorite Web search engine). They'll do what you want. But they can/will increase wear on your suspension (physics at work) and may make steering harder. There's a thread on this forum about the acceptable offset range; you might want to check that out because you don't want to buy spacers any wider than they need to be.
Ok so here is where my ignorance is apparent. Does +54 mean that the mounting face is 54mm away (street side) from the center of the rim? If so, wouldn't +35 be closer to the center and therefore would give the car a wider stance? My concern is rubbing and it seems that with these rims (+35) and with additional spacers, it would push the rim/tire out too far and would rub in the wheel well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ok so here is where my ignorance is apparent. Does +54 mean that the mounting face is 54mm away (street side) from the center of the rim? If so, wouldn't +35 be closer to the center and therefore would give the car a wider stance? My concern is rubbing and it seems that with these rims (+35) and with additional spacers, it would push the rim/tire out too far and would rub in the wheel well.
You are 100% correct. I think you got it:)

The +35 offset mounting face will be 19mm closer to the center and this will cause the entire wheel to stick out towards the fender (19mm) more.
Remember the hub mounting face doesn't move.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are 100% correct. I think you got it:)

The +35 offset mounting face will be 19mm closer to the center and this will cause the entire wheel to stick out towards the fender (19mm) more.
Remember the hub mounting face doesn't move.
Thanks! One more thing. The rim of interest is 8.5". Does this mean that 0.5" (~12.7mm) of the offset is negated...'cause that would make me feel a lot better.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks! One more thing. The rim of interest is 8.5". Does this mean that 0.5" (~12.7mm) of the offset is negated...'cause that would make me feel a lot better.
Nope.

The center of a wheel is still the center of the wheel and being wider doesn't change that. Being wider does change the amount of lip and the distance both the rim edge and mounting face is from the center.
I have to be careful not to get myself mixed up here... :eek:
Wider wheels usually makes offset changes more difficult and usually compound any issues with spacing between the fenders or suspension.
BUT, in this case things work out quite well. When you say "the offset is negated" it is sort of a false truth in this case.
It is because the wider wheel change really causes only about 7mm (0.25'') of less back space in comparison to the oem wheel. It is quite hard to account for this small difference in the calculations. We are talking millimeters here and when converting back and forth from millimeters to inches and then when rounding off numbers up or down in the calculations... ack, it gets a little messy... But, we can be fairly safe that the 18x8.5 +35ET will stick out towards the fender around 18-20mm.

They should be ok. But I would hate to be wrong.
Please do some checking around the Soul Tire & Wheel - Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners part of the forum. There are a few Soul owners that have had good luck with wide wheels and smaller offsets. Try to use their sucess as a reference point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope.

The center of a wheel is still the center of the wheel and being wider doesn't change that. Being wider does change the amount of lip and the distance both the rim edge and mounting face is from the center.
I have to be careful not to get myself mixed up here... :eek:
Wider wheels usually makes offset changes more difficult and usually compound any issues with spacing between the fenders or suspension.
BUT, in this case things work out quite well. When you say "the offset is negated" it is sort of a false truth in this case.
It is because the wider wheel change really causes only about 7mm (0.25'') of less back space in comparison to the oem wheel. It is quite hard to account for this small difference in the calculations. We are talking millimeters here and when converting back and forth from millimeters to inches and then when rounding off numbers up or down in the calculations... ack, it gets a little messy... But, we can be fairly safe that the 18x8.5 +35ET will stick out towards the fender around 18-20mm.

They should be ok. But I would hate to be wrong.
Please do some checking around the Soul Tire & Wheel - Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners part of the forum. There are a few Soul owners that have had good luck with wide wheels and smaller offsets. Try to use their sucess as a reference point.
Thanks very much for the info. I've glanced through quite a few threads on rim upgrades but have yet to find a definitive comparison. I'll be sure to give another look. In the meantime I need to find a buyer for the OEM wheels and tires...know anyone?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'd input some info but, seems you've got in under control. One thing I will say is that as your wheel size increases, you do create more clearance around your hub and brake assembly... to a point. someone here in this forum had 245/18's (not sure of the profile though) and claimed they did not rub.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This is not exactly rocket science but it can be confusing. Remove one of your wheels, measure from the mounting surface (where it contacts the brake rotor) to the edge of the rim bead, this is offset and any variation in this measurement on a different wheel will have the following effect: A smaller number will space the wheel farther outward a larger number will space it inward by whatever the difference is.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is not exactly rocket science but it can be confusing. Remove one of your wheels, measure from the mounting surface (where it contacts the brake rotor) to the edge of the rim bead, this is offset and any variation in this measurement on a different wheel will have the following effect: A smaller number will space the wheel farther outward a larger number will space it inward by whatever the difference is.
Actually that is incorrect.
What you have in fact measured is the backspacing and not the offset.
Offset is measured from the center line of the wheel. They are not the same although they are both important measurements for wheel fitment.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
What's a sticky? Sorry, fairly new to the forum.
its a series of posts that stay at the top of the list for easy reference - ie they dont move down the list with age or as new threads usurp them.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The sport comes wit 18's stock. I'm running 18x9's with a 45 offset. A 40 on a 6.5 should work

1 - 19 of 19 Posts