Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
5w20 Royal Purple & kn oil filter every 10k or so.
You won't have that engine working well very long, if it's a S.Korean TGDI /GDI.
What Kia recommends is not best for your engine.
Use 5w30 synthetic and change every 3-4k.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well, i got this from walmart yesterday. I also bought OEM oil filter and drain plug gasket. I will change oil at 3,500m, then go to Kia to have oil change at 7,000m.. then I will change every 5,000m after that. I will stagger oil change between dealership and myself just because of the warranty. If I do it myself, I spend around 22 bucks, wile the dealership charges 89 bucks, and I have to drive 1.5 hours round trip. Maybe i will stop having dealership do it after their second oil change.

edit:
I have asked the dealership twice and got told by 2 different people they use 5W30 now. I have noticed this on my last oil change with my Sedona before I sol it. I will soon find out when I bring the Soul to them.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
Well, i got this from walmart yesterday. I also bought OEM oil filter and drain plug gasket. I will change oil at 3,500m, then go to Kia to have oil change at 7,000m.. then I will change every 5,000m after that. I will stagger oil change between dealership and myself just because of the warranty. If I do it myself, I spend around 22 bucks, wile the dealership charges 89 bucks, and I have to drive 1.5 hours round trip. Maybe i will stop having dealership do it after their second oil change.

edit:
I have asked the dealership twice and got told by 2 different people they use 5W30 now. I have noticed this on my last oil change with my Sedona before I sol it. I will soon find out when I bring the Soul to them.

View attachment 136545
Would you ever consider using something like this, Valvoline "Modern Engine" Oil designed for GDI engines? It's about $20 more for the 5 qt size. I'll probably switch to something like this if it helps keep carbon buildup in check.

About this item
  • Ultimate protection for GDI, turbo and newer auto engines
  • 40% better protection against carbon build-up
  • Outstanding performance in preventing wear, sludge and corrosion
  • Exceptional protection against motor oil breakdown in vehicle engines
  • Full synthetic motor oil for extreme temp protection
Vavoline’s Modern Engine Full Synthetic, which is specifically formulated with additives to reduce carbon buildup more than other oils. “It is hot there, so that oil has to be able to withstand oxidation, thermal breakdown, and degradation or that oil can form deposits over time,” Warholic explained.

That’s exactly what Valvoline Modern Engine does that other high-quality oils, even synthetics, don’t. Valvoline Modern Engine is an oil that is specifically designed to address a problem and take measures to solve, while others remain seemingly fixated on the ineffective notion of cleaning by the use of special fuel. Warholic believes, “Modern Engine is only one designed for this.”

The Truth Behind Carbon Buildup

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Modern-Engine-SAE-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/985370023

Reactions: soul_2021

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Would you ever consider using something like this, Valvoline "Modern Engine" Oil designed for GDI engines? It's about $20 more for the 5 qt size. I'll probably switch to something like this if it helps keep carbon buildup in check.

About this item
  • Ultimate protection for GDI, turbo and newer auto engines
  • 40% better protection against carbon build-up
  • Outstanding performance in preventing wear, sludge and corrosion
  • Exceptional protection against motor oil breakdown in vehicle engines
  • Full synthetic motor oil for extreme temp protection
Vavoline’s Modern Engine Full Synthetic, which is specifically formulated with additives to reduce carbon buildup more than other oils. “It is hot there, so that oil has to be able to withstand oxidation, thermal breakdown, and degradation or that oil can form deposits over time,” Warholic explained.

That’s exactly what Valvoline Modern Engine does that other high-quality oils, even synthetics, don’t. Valvoline Modern Engine is an oil that is specifically designed to address a problem and take measures to solve, while others remain seemingly fixated on the ineffective notion of cleaning by the use of special fuel. Warholic believes, “Modern Engine is only one designed for this.”

The Truth Behind Carbon Buildup

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Modern-Engine-SAE-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/985370023

View attachment 136549
Yes, I would for the next oil change, but I have not seen any comparison between this and other engine oils. Don't the new ones that are API SP and GF6A certified the same? I hope project farm on youtube will do a comparison.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Keep all your store receipts and include the mileage on each one.
Valvoline Modern Engine is discontinued. Valvoline now has an Advanced Synthetic offering. Or you can just use their default Synthetic.

Supertech Synthetic (SP) is fine for your shortened OCI schedule. If I understood your earlier post correctly, you will be seeing the dealer for an oil change by the 7.5K mark?..... correct?

Plus, in-between (roughly 3.75k), you plan on using the Supertech?...... is that right?
Your OCI length is very good then. Did you know that if you keep all receipts, there's no need to have OCIs done at the dealer. Just do them-all yourself and know the job's done correctly.

Reactions: soul_2021

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The bright Yellow lettering on the Oil Filler Cap, should be all the advise anyone needs. Eh?

That's what I used on my Gen one, for six years, and that's what my dealer uses now on my 2020 LX.
A word to the wise, should be sufficient.

:cool:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Questions.

Has anybody figured out the exact differences between the Valvoline product and other high-end synthetic oils?

Do we have any information on the EasyGDI treatment that Valvoline Instant Oil Change locations offer? That might be another viable option for many. I scoured the Valvoline website and found nothing.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
  • [*]Questions.

Has anybody figured out the exact differences between the Valvoline product and other high-end synthetic oils?

Do we have any information on the EasyGDI treatment that Valvoline Instant Oil Change locations offer? That might be another viable option for many. I scoured the Valvoline website and found nothing.
    Supposedly their elixir is different:
What will help with these issues is Valvoline’s Modern Engine Full Synthetic, which is specifically formulated with additives to reduce carbon buildup more than other oils. “It is hot there, so that oil has to be able to withstand oxidation, thermal breakdown, and degradation or that oil can form deposits over time,” Warholic explained

·
Registered
19 Posts
if it says 5-20 synthetic then do that. Me my self i drain the oil and oil filter cavity. then oil plug back in, then 4 quarts new oil. then i run for 10 minutes. then drain that. then new filter and new oil. gets it very clean. cost more for the extra 4 quarts. but its like brand new car clean.
They do have a 10-minute cleaner you can put in your oil just before you change it. Not sure the name of it, but had a few customers that would use it to clean all the garbage out of the motor. Worked really well. You may have to go to a parts house to find it if your interested in it. Save you some money. I change my Full Synthetic oil every 5k even though I use Synthetic oil and filter. If I don't drive it 5k within 6 months it still gets changed.

·
Registered
19 Posts

• Supposedly their elixir is different:
What will help with these issues is Valvoline’s Modern Engine Full Synthetic, which is specifically formulated with additives to reduce carbon buildup more than other oils. “It is hot there, so that oil has to be able to withstand oxidation, thermal breakdown, and degradation or that oil can form deposits over time,” Warholic explained

Just so you all know these oil companies all use the same base material known as Clear Base. Then each one has a package of additives that gets dumped into their particular brand of oil. We could debate oils all day long as to which one is better than which one, but not here to try and persuade anyone on what kind of oil they prefer. Anyone who says that oil companies are fixated on the ineffective notion of cleaning by the use of special fuel is 100% WRONG and are MISLEADING people. I wouldn't recommend anyone listen to someone who blows that smoke up people's butt. People have a right to believe whatever they prefer, just stuff like that ISN'T TRUE!!! Right now I'm hearing and reading great things about the NEW Pennzoil Platinum that is made from natural gas. Something you may wanna check out.

·
Registered
568 Posts

• Supposedly their elixir is different:

Great marketing stuff!

Technical details?

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Great marketing stuff!

Technical details?
Yeah no kidding. Everything BUT the details of just exactly how their "formulation" retards carbon buildup on the backside of valves. I'd love to see some photo evidence on a 50,000 and 100,000 mile side by side engine test (eg: theirs vs. any other full SN synthetic oil).

Trust ME! This stuff will keep the o'l valves clean...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Castrol Edge 5w-30, good oil, fair price and meets specs.

You can pay a lot more but do you really get a lot more??

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Questions.

Just curious, as to why we would care anything about a GDI treatment?
We who drive Gen 3 Souls, Don't have GDI. ???

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Just in informational post.
My 2020 has 5w20 on fill cap as I think most do. Dealer invoice for first oil change shows 5w30 used. Seems warmer climates(south florida here) use 5w30. For areas with more temperature fluctuations seems they use the 5w20. Manual does say "according to your climate" or something to that affect.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Hmmm! I'm also in FL, but my dealer has always gone with what is printed on the Oil Filler Cap, (5W20). They use a Havoline blend.
I'm just guessing that they use the same oil for every KIA that comes in for an oil change. If the engine somehow fails, it's on Them.
If I were still doing my own Oil Changes, in my back yard, 5W20 Castrol GTX, is exactly what I'd be using. That's all I ever used in my Gen-1 Soul, in seven years.
We do get HOT here in Summer, but nothing like other parts of the country. Hello Phoenix! And Arggg...Chicago.

But with an engine that has it's temp computer controlled, and sometimes gets up to 220 degrees F, I doubt that our climate makes a whole lot of difference to it. On our hottest day, here in FL, it's still over 100 degrees below the engine temp.
Yesterday, when I got home from a 50 mile trip, my engine temp was 220 degrees F. The outside temp was only about 85. So the outside temp didn't seem to have any effect on the engine temp.
Personally, I wish the engine would run a bit cooler! My Gen-1 Soul would usually run around 178 degrees F.
I was told by the mechanic at my dealership, that the higher temps are Normal for the 2020 2.0L engines.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
568 Posts
If I were still doing my own Oil Changes, in my back yard, 5W20 Castrol GTX, is exactly what I'd be using. That's all I ever used in my Gen-1 Soul, in seven years.
We do get HOT here in Summer, but nothing like other parts of the country. Hello Phoenix! And Arggg...Chicago.
I use Castrol Edge 5W20 Extended Performance in the Soul interchangeably with Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It can get into the 35 to 40 celsius range here during the summer (95F to 104F) but not for long.

We always park the vehicle in the garage. Nicer in the summer and MUCH, MUCH nicer in the winter. All excellent reasons to keep the bloody garage clutter free. So many people where we live store all this junk in their garages... that they never will use... and park outside. Huh!?!!

In passing, car ports and vehicle tents are also very effective at protecting vehicles.

Would guess that the driving mixture is at about 25% around town, 75% on hilly highways. For the short jaunts, I encourage the wife to boot it up the hill on the way back home to generate more heat.

Very little oil loss so far.

I am open to going to 5W30 if the oil loss increases but then I would probably prefer to do a piston ring/oil control ring soak and cleaning as well as get a professional induction cleaning service for the intake valves, more than likely at a Kia dealership.

This motor oil business should be a little simpler and less risky with the 3rd generation MPI Soul engines but folks should still invest in good maintenance practices. I do on the MPI 4.0 litre V6 Nissan Xterra. That is likely why I have not had to switch out the timing chain guides yet.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts