Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Heck, they really got scared by their engine failures, I see that now they allow even 20W-50 !!

My 2011 stopped at 10W-30.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll reserve 20W50 for air-cooled motorcycle engines, although my Moto guzzi took 10W60.
My Rocket 3 water cooled spec'ed 50w my air cooled Victory is 40w. I think it depends if it's designed around oil flow volume or oil pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, I am planning to do my own oil changes. Kia's recommended oil is 5W-20.

So what do people use, especially to those in hot climate like where I am in Arizona ?

Reading the Manual, on 8-10, it says:

View attachment 136483
I'd say go on the recommendation on the chart provided. Otherwise I'd recommend what it says on the cap which is usually 5-20. Using the wrong one can damage the motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
10-30 and nothing thinner ever. '19 1.6 turbo, not driven in winter. 26k so far, so good.
Like someone pointed out, they even allow 20-50 now, so does Kia even know what they are talking about at this point? I suspect if you have a failure, and used 5-? they'll say it should have had 20-50 in it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
For decades the go to weight was 5w-30 in all domestics and foreign. Since the federal government has become involved in fleet gas mileage all companies including Ford (I have a 2018 eco boost twin turbo V-6) use 5-20 to help squeeze out every tenth of a mpg as they can. I highly recommend going to 5w30! My Ford is now on it as well.
Scott in Charleston, SC

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul, 1.6l Auto base model.
19 Posts
I'm down in East Texas and use Castrol Edge High Mileage synthetic 5-W20. When I hit the 100k mark I might switch to 5-W30, but it's been good with the 20.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ah, the topic of oil viscosity often brings a spirited debate!

I will throw my hat into the ring, and state...

I use what's listed on the oil cap
5-20. And change oil and oil filter at 5K on the regular. I'm happy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2013 Soul about 60k on it now bought used certified, former rental 13.5 on it. Have been using factory filter and 5W 30W Mobil One synth since I have had it, So. California driving. Zero problems!

·
Registered
3 Posts

So what do people use, especially to those in hot climate like where I am in Arizona ?

View attachment 136483
if it says 5-20 synthetic then do that. Me my self i drain the oil and oil filter cavity. then oil plug back in, then 4 quarts new oil. then i run for 10 minutes. then drain that. then new filter and new oil. gets it very clean. cost more for the extra 4 quarts. but its like brand new car clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
if it says 5-20 synthetic then do that. Me my self i drain the oil and oil filter cavity. then oil plug back in, then 4 quarts new oil. then i run for 10 minutes. then drain that. then new filter and new oil. gets it very clean. cost more for the extra 4 quarts. but its like brand new car clean.
You're wasting good oil. Darker oil without excessive miles means the oil is doing its job and any contaminants are held in suspension.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You're joking, I hope.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been running Full Synthetic 5w20 in the wife's 2012 Kia Soul since we got it in early 2014. It had 20k on it then and getting ready to turn 120k miles on it now. I will run the same in her new 2021 Soul also.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Uncle ran Quaker State oil in the 70's in a Galaxie 500 390-4 and at 300,000 miles when the frame rusted and broke. Crap oil, 300,000 miles, seems it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
IMO all Hyundai and Kia vehicles driven in cities, located in US lower half states, should be considered "severe usage".
They will be driven in over 90F ambient, stop and go. The cooling of oil is not the same as cooling of the engine, so it gets "baked" more.

But that's just me... I like to keep my cars 10+ years.
I have my '11 Kia Soul+ in Alabama and I agree, been on a steady diet of full synthetic 5W20 since the first oil change and (knock on wood) no problems up to this point...will probably run it into the ground before I go to ANY of the newer model Souls...

·
Registered
243 Posts

View attachment 136483
In reference to more current GDI / TGDI engines .....

The Manual is worded generic...... for all climates. The reason 5w20 is recommended is because of government regs....CAFE..... best gas mileage.
Best gas mileage oil grade is NOT best oil grade for your engine. Use 5w30 synthetic and change 3 - 3.75k.

Keep the dipstick level full at ALL times. The four cylinders are tempermental / sensitive engines. The metals are softer than a more expensive engine. They deteriorate quicker in the more recent years (2012+).

Give them plenty of TLC oil. $50 more per year for DIY oil changes, will save you 3-5k down the road. Concerning turbos, buy mid-premium grade fuel, to avoid episodes of lspi.

I use premium all the time and mine do not wear turbos.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts