Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am planning to do my own oil changes. Kia's recommended oil is 5W-20.

So what do people use, especially to those in hot climate like where I am in Arizona ?

Reading the Manual, on 8-10, it says:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,522 Posts
Ok, I am planning to do my own oil changes. Kia's recommended oil is 5W-20.

So what do people use, especially to those in hot climate like where I am in Arizona ?

Reading the Manual, on 8-10, it says:

View attachment 136483
Where are you in Arizona? I love that State because you can drive from desert heat to mountain snow in a few hours.

Bob's the Oil Guy forum has alot of oil advice

PHX, AZ summer oil...what to do.

Reactions: westslope

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
144 Posts
I'm in Phoenix and planned to stick with the recommended 5w30. I've always thought oil type was more an issue in colder temps.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Our 2015 Gen 2 loves 5W20 expensive, long-life full synthetic oil in the interior of British Columbia where the temperatures range from -20C in the winter to over +40C in the summer.

The car is parked in a garage and gets well looked after. This baby rarely idles more than 1 minute before the trip begins or before it is shut off. Consumed less than 1/2 litre of oil between the last two oil changes. Idles smoothly.

Perhaps there is a case to be made for using 5W30 if your driven distances are short and you frequently park in the direct sun? I would start with 5W20 motor oil and take it from there.

Reactions: soul_2021

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you in Arizona? I love that State because you can drive from desert heat to mountain snow in a few hours.

Bob's the Oil Guy forum has alot of oil advice

PHX, AZ summer oil...what to do.
Forgot to mention my location in Az, yes we have a diverse weather here. I live in the valley, so it's hot ass hell during summer. If I want to experience snow, i drive 3 hours north :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in Phoenix and planned to stick with the recommended 5w30. I've always thought oil type was more an issue in colder temps.
So Kia changed within a year? Mine is 2021 LX, but manual transmission. The recommended was 5W-20.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
So Kia changed within a year? Mine is 2021 LX, but manual transmission. The recommended was 5W-20.
Being in that hot a climate, you're more than likely considered "Severe Usage." So probably 6 month/3500 mile oil changes.

My manual transmission is a 2014. The dealer changed the oil for the first 5 years, 5w-30 dino. Now I change my own, full synthetic. Started with 5w-20 but now use 5w-30. No problems with oil consumption either way.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
144 Posts
No, you're right. The recommended is 5w-20 now that I look. The dealership did use 5w-30, though.

Being in that hot a climate, you're more than likely considered "Severe Usage." So probably 6 month/3500 mile oil changes.
The manual doesn't list hot climates as a qualifier for severe usage-- only cold climates. As long as your cooling system works properly, I don't see why a hot climate would be worse.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
No, you're right. The recommended is 5w-20 now that I look. The dealership did use 5w-30, though.

The manual doesn't list hot climates as a qualifier for severe usage-- only cold climates. As long as your cooling system works properly, I don't see why a hot climate would be worse.
Maybe I misunderstood

Driving in heavy traffic area over 90°F (32°C)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Do you go to Horne Kia (motorplex) by any chance? Because that is where I asked, and the guy at the parts advised me to use 5W-30 ....

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
144 Posts
Do you go to Horne Kia (motorplex) by any chance? Because that is where I asked, and the guy at the parts advised me to use 5W-30 ....

I purchased my vehicle from Horne but they were super annoying to do business with and I thought their sales technique was borderline shady (to put it nicely) but trudged my way into a good deal. I've been getting service at Mark Kia because I keep getting coupons for $39.95 oil change, tire rotations, and inspections.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood

Driving in heavy traffic area over 90°F (32°C)
IMO all Hyundai and Kia vehicles driven in cities, located in US lower half states, should be considered "severe usage".
They will be driven in over 90F ambient, stop and go. The cooling of oil is not the same as cooling of the engine, so it gets "baked" more.

But that's just me... I like to keep my cars 10+ years.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would not use 5W/20 after run-in.

Kia recommends 5W/20 or 5W/30 for full temp range (scale ranges -20F to ~125F).
For temps above -5F, 10/30 is recommended.

5W/20 may provide a slight increase in fuel economy, but at a trade-off to engine reliability.

My concern about using 5W-20 oil after run-in, is that oil passing the rings, slightly more than would do so if it were 5W-30, will cause more contamination which may lead to piston rings "sticking"... one of the causes of increased oil consumption. Hence my suggestion to use 5W-30 or 10W-30 at the first oil change.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts