Votes: 132 32.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
541 - 560 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wouldn't freak out nor call you names, Royal Purple is a quality REAL synthetic and will easily last 23- times recommended change intervals.
I use Amsoil and change it once a year on the Soul which gets between 15-17,000 per.
Every 2 years on my van which usually gets 6-8,000 per year.
My Galaxie every 4-5 years, she sees 3-4,000 a year.
Been doing this for decades, no problems.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I just changed my oil in this chilly 30 degree Ohio weather. Not because I wanted to, because I had to. I was overdue. Not going to tell you how many miles on this oil I went because some of you will either freak out or call me a name lol. But honestly the oil coming out was just as smooth as the oil going in.

I only use Royal Purple 5W-20. Been using it since I bought the car. The only time the car saw something else was when it was in the factory and the Koreans filled it up with conventional.

I use Royal Purple because I know it will let me slide on the oil change if I need to. This stuff is liquid gold. And by the cost of it, it better be liquid gold.

By the way.. do I need to lube anything or is that system sealed up?

In 2 words...
1-Urge
2-Overkill

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I was watching TV yesterday and one of the commercials was for Mobil 1. (Motor Oil)
They said if you use it, you can change your oil just once a year!

And void your engine warranty in the process!!!

I would be instantly banned if I said here what I shouted at my TV.
There were expletives (curse words) that I don't remember even knowing, or ever saying before.
It was not pretty!

In polite English, that commercial was almost the stupidest I've ever watched.
But I guess they were aiming their ad at really stupid people, who have no idea, about the several real purposes for engine oil, and changing it on a regular schedule.

There ARE certain things that you can get away with doing, once a year, like changing the battery in your wrist watch, or your Smoke Alarm. But engine oil is not one of those.

I'm breaking my own rules, because I have sworn to Never post to an Oil related thread, ever again.
If there is one topic that definitely needs an oil change, it's this one.

Cheers Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was watching TV yesterday and one of the commercials was for Mobil 1. (Motor Oil)
They said if you use it, you can change your oil just once a year!

And void your engine warranty in the process!!!

I would be instantly banned if I said here what I shouted at my TV.
There were expletives (curse words) that I don't remember even knowing, or ever saying before.
It was not pretty!

In polite English, that commercial was almost the stupidest I've ever watched.
But I guess they were aiming their ad at really stupid people, who have no idea, about the several real purposes for engine oil, and changing it on a regular schedule.

There ARE certain things that you can get away with doing, once a year, like changing the battery in your wrist watch, or your Smoke Alarm. But engine oil is not one of those.

I'm breaking my own rules, because I have sworn to Never post to an Oil related thread, ever again.
If there is one topic that definitely needs an oil change, it's this one.

Cheers Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:
OMG....SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?!?
We've gone over this a million times...BY LAW the oil change interval you use WILL NOT in itself void your warranty.
IT'S THE LAW...LOOK IT UP!
OCI in the manuals are only RECOMMENDED, intervals.
The burden of proof is ON THE MANUFACTURER to prove your OCI was the cause of engine failure.
THAT IS THE LAW!!!!!!!!
Please KNOW all the facts BEFORE spreading misinformation.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Soulman Said: ""We've gone over this a million times...BY LAW the oil change interval you use WILL NOT in itself void your warranty."

Please elaborate and link to said "law"?
It's pretty well known in automotive circles, especially bigger auto related forums in oil threads.
You've been here longer then I have and I've seen it mentioned several times, earlier in this thread and in a couple of the other oil threads. Check out Bob is the oil guy forums, top end synth oil sites like Amsoil, Red Line and Royal Purple, etc.

Anyhow, it's the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301)
This is also the same law that says a manufacturer CAN NOT make you use a specific brand of a part (such as oil filters) unless they provide it free of charge.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Call me lazy, easier to comply with the owners manual recommendations than hire an attorney and go to a court of law. See Mobll One is advertising a 15,000 mile motor oil, really not looking for a fight.

What really redefines the meaning of nebulous is the difference between severe and so called normal driving. Either one or the other and no mileage statements between the two. With an AT, can either be 60K or a 160K for fluid changes, this is quite a range.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Soulman...while I understand the MM act as it applies to the use of oem vs aftermarket parts, I do not understand it as it applies to o.c.i. intervals.
Please clarify with specifics if you please...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did a spring oil change, along with lots of other work (brakes front and back, and new spark plugs)

Out: Castrol GTX 5W-30, motomaster MPH 9688 filter, 4700 miles on the oil change.

In: Valvoline Premium Conventional 10W-30 and an OEM KIa filter. Yes, I've capitulated: the filter is cheaper than aftermarket ones, and there is a Kia dealership next to my work...kinda a no-brainer to try it.

Gotta admit, engine is a bit quieter with the 10W-30, and there is less clatter on start-up...maybe the OEM filter is the way to go. We will see.

Are you happy, FLHamster???

;P

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Well I know I'm happy. Congrats Black2u for crossing over to the OEM filter.

You've been out in the wilderness far too long :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
What type of oil? Whatever 5W20 Midas put in, and a Brand X filter, cuz they'd rotate the tires for free. I do oil change every 3.5K, longer is asking for trouble no matter how fancy the oil. So long as vendors will do it almost as cheap as I can, I'll take it there, I'm too fat to get under the car easily. Next time, maybe the local dealership, if they've got a $20 special.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Well, considering that you're posting in the Gen 1 forum, while driving a Gen 2 car, that tells me that you don't have both oars in the water. Maybe that's also why you've totally ignored all the hundreds of posts, even those Bulletins from Kia that you should be using a Genuine Kia Oil Filter, and not some other piece of crap, because it was specifically designed for your engine. To use anything else could cause engine failure and the VOID'ing of your Kia Warranty.

But as they say,,,,"Ignorance is bliss".

Enjoy your engine failure!

:cool:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well, considering that you're posting in the Gen 1 forum, while driving a Gen 2 car, that tells me that you don't have both oars in the water.
Well, ya got me there. But I think it's the same 1.6 GDI engine, no?

Maybe that's also why you've totally ignored all the hundreds of posts, even those Bulletins from Kia that you should be using a Genuine Kia Oil Filter, and not some other piece of crap, because it was specifically designed for your engine. To use anything else could cause engine failure and the VOID'ing of your Kia Warranty.
I have actually read a lot of the posts (maybe not all). And I didn't see a single post saying "I had engine failure and my warranty voided because I used an aftermarket filter." Wanna post a link? I do recall from when I had a Hyundai (same parent company) that Hyundai would at least threaten to void warranties if you used ATF other than their SPIII, even though Valvoline (who manufactured SPIII for Hyundai) sold a Valvoline ATF that they said was completely compatible except for some marker chemical that Hyundai used to identify their own brand. I'm gonna guess that the oil company knew the characteristics of SPIII. So I'm not sure Hyundai/Kia always shoots straight on that sort of thing.

But... what is this "warranty" of which you speak? (Hint: my car has a few hail dimples, which is noted on its title.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Changed the oil today finally on the Soul:

Out: Valvoline 10W-30 conventional and OEM Kia filter with 7700 miles on it, with 1/2 quart of top-off oil. Yes...I went WAY longer than I wanted to, but family emergency delayed it.

Loved the way the engine ran on this combo - VERY quiet, very smooth, and less consumption. Sticking with 30-weight for this car!

In: A 'frankenblend' of left-overs from other oil changes in 5W-30 and 10W-30, with another OEM Kia fiter. Will run to early Nov., and the change probably to a synthetic for the winter.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Why?

Why don't you use what Kia told you to use, when the printed the 5W20 on the filler cap?
OH, I guess your an automotive engineer who knows more about your engine than the engineers that designed it.

I understand!

Good luck with that!!!

541 - 560 of 571 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.