Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Don't know how many I'll need but I have spares, I've stopped buying anything automotive on Amazon with the bad luck I've had lately with their crap parts.

I brought back to life a 1995 Grand Cherokee 4.0L and the thermostat, clutch fan, radiator and radiator cap all failed within two weeks. They must either sell counterfeit parts or factory rejects. NEVER again. I replaced all of them local at NAPA after I returned them and got my money back. The NAPA parts were on average 25% more but guess what....they all work. I can see now why they sell so cheap because you get to invest twice the labor when they fail.
Sorry about the rant I'm still pissed off.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,874 Posts
Don't know how many I'll need but I have spares, I've stopped buying anything automotive on Amazon with the bad luck I've had lately with their crap parts.

I brought back to life a 1995 Grand Cherokee 4.0L and the thermostat, clutch fan, radiator and radiator cap all failed within two weeks. They must either sell counterfeit parts or factory rejects. NEVER again. I replaced all of them local at NAPA after I returned them and got my money back. The NAPA parts were on average 25% more but guess what....they all work. I can see now why they sell so cheap because you get to invest twice the labor when they fail.
Sorry about the rant I'm still pissed off.
I don't blame you vindex. It's maddening because it's not just the crap part, but it's all the time spent taking out the original part, replacing it with the crap piece, then having to take it out and reinstall a good part. All on your own time feeling screwed over. :mad:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Extra drain plugs? And not one of them is a Magnetic Drain Plug, that can tell you when your engine starts coming apart.
Purple Automotive tire Violet Magenta Circuit component

If you're going to spend money, at least spend it wisely!

:cool:

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you're going to spend money, at least spend it wisely!

If I felt my Kia engine was that bad I wouldn't have bought it. OEM replacements are only $1.80.
I always thought things like that were a silly waste of money, magnetic plugs in a gear driven environment is a different story but an engine, not needed.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
"Au contraire Mon fraire"

My 2013 KIA Soul was still running GREAT the day I went to change my own oil, and found CHUNKS of metal on the magnetic Oil Drain Plug. That simple little plug saved me the horror of being left stranded along side the road, with a blown engine. I still had time to get to my dealer and trade her off for my first 2020 Soul.
I've used Magnetic Drain Plugs in my car's engines for decades, and that was the first and only time that it paid off.
I have one in my current Soul and I'll never own another car without one. It's cheap, simple and can really save you a lot of grief, if something inside the engine starts coming apart.
If there is any negative, it's that the ones I've bought in the past few years are made of Aluminum, and care is required when changing the oil and torquing down the drain plug.
Just for fun....here's what happens when an over zealous oil change guy Over torques the drain plug.
Circuit component Household hardware Magenta Auto part Nickel

It looks like he also used grandma's kitchen pliars to remove the plug. He definitely did not use the correct Metric socket to remove the plug. After this episode, he no longer works for my KIA Dealer!!!

When I get an oil change at my dealer, my Service Writer, Dave, goes back into the shop to examine the drain plug when the Oil Change tech removes it from the oil pan.
With these plugs, I found that 10 ft/lb of torque is sufficient to crush the aluminum washer and seal the plug. I never, ever had one come loose, or leak.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
202 Posts
After reading the conditions list itemizing what constitutes severe duty (thanks FLhamster) I’d say just firing your Kia off indicates you’ll be changing oil every 3750 miles (It’s what I do).
I like the 3750 mile oil change. There’s no cheaper maintenance procedure to assure engine life than frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It certainly warms my heart, to know that there are other Soul owners who want to keep their cars in tip top shape.
An oil change is So much cheaper than a blown engine.
For the six years that I had my 2013 Soul, I did my own oil changes every 3k miles, right on schedule, and I enjoyed every minute of it. She gave me so much pleasure, it was nice to return the favor.
Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille

I even built concrete ramps in my back yard, to facilitate easier oil changes. I also performed oil changes for several neighbors on these same ramps. They are set about 6" into the ground and I doubt they will ever be stolen. lol
I really don't want to meet the guy who could pick one up and carry it off. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
For the most part, I liked to use Castrol GTX oil in my KIA Soul, but if Walmart was running a Super Sale on Pennzoil, or Havoline, I'd buy some of that. They are all good quality oils, and with a 3K oil change interval, the brand doesn't really make a lot of difference. The only thing that I found to be critical, was the Oil Filter. I ALWAYS used only the Genuine KIA oil filter.
Rectangle Font Material property Electric blue Magenta
Every filter that I bought from my KIA dealer,
came with a new Crush Washer for the drain plug.

Today, my KIA Dealer is doing all my Oil Changes, and I don't have to worry about them using some knock off filter or the incorrect oil. If memory serves, today they are using Castrol 5W30 synth. They've gone to a little heavier oil, per a directive from KIA Corporate.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
81 Posts
What kind of oil I can use on my 2022 Soul to stretch the oil change intervals ( maybe every 10K to 15 K). I currently have 6K miles on the car.

Thanks
i'm new around these parts but i keep seeing the advice to change more frequently vs. less. apparently you want to be real generous with the oil on these things, not worth the risk to do otherwise imo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No stretching!
Change it with synthetic every 4k...... not any longer than that. Since the requirement may now be 0w20 during the Warranty period, I recommend any of the better protection / longer life / above standards full synthetic oils.

Mobil-1 EP
Castrol EP
Valvoline EP
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Supertech Advanced

Personally speaking, I would use 5w30 and change the oil every 3k.
That's me and I'm anal about keeping a really clean engine.
are u changing the filter every 3K as well? just making sure i understand...new here...learning how they feel about oil, obvi not as lenient as cars i've had in the past want to do the best i can.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I’ve always used full synthetic on my 2020 EX, but this past August when I had my last oil change, the dealer mentioned that the highly recommend using only synthetic oil in their engines not syn blends or “natural “ oil. He laughed when he checked my records and saw that I only used synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
are u changing the filter every 3K as well? just making sure i understand...new here...learning how they feel about oil, obvi not as lenient as cars i've had in the past want to do the best i can.
I’m not that poster, but I’m online and here now so I’ll answer with my opinion on this 😆

I’ve read on other forums people will leave their filter in for 10k miles or even longer and I think that’s silly. A filter is under $10, even the blue Hyundai/Kia OEM filters are pretty inexpensive and the Walmart’s around here sell them.

If you change your oil every 3k miles, you could get away with going two oil changes safely (6k), but if you go 5k, or more miles, I’d change the filter every time. It’s very easy to access on these engines, so there’s really no reason not to.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’m not that poster, but I’m online and here now so I’ll answer with my opinion on this 😆

I’ve read on other forums people will leave their filter in for 10k miles or even longer and I think that’s silly. A filter is under $10, even the blue Hyundai/Kia OEM filters are pretty inexpensive and the Walmart’s around here sell them.

If you change your oil every 3k miles, you could get away with going two oil changes safely (6k), but if you go 5k, or more miles, I’d change the filter every time. It’s very easy to access on these engines, so there’s really no reason not to.
yes i think you are right in your reasoning i just wanted to be sure i was understanding correctly. think i'll stock up on some filters when my car is ready for pickup!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
KIA HQ put out a Service Bulletin, on their suggestion that we always use Genuine KIA Oil Filters.
I can't remember all the details, but it seems like they put some special valve inside their filters that assures correct oil pressure to critical parts of the engines valve train.
I get my filters from my KIA dealer for $7 each and each one comes with a FREE Crush Washer for the Drain Plug.
Rectangle Font Material property Electric blue Magenta

When I got this slightly used 2020 Soul last December,(after my first 2020 Soul got totalled) I also got an Extended Maintenance contract. At 79 I'm just getting too old to be crawling around on the ground, changing my oil.

So now, instead of having to crawl under my car to change my oil, and filter, every 3k miles, I just drive to my dealer and enjoy some free coffee and donuts. And I get a chance to look over some of the new cars on the lot, and pester the salesmen. I love teaching them about features of the Soul that they don't know....like how to use the Over Drive.

Currently, my dealer is using 5W30 Synth and Genuine KIA Oil Filters, as per a directive from KIA Corporate.

I had them put in a magnetic oil drain plug for me, and my service writer checks it for particles of metal at every oil change, which right now rolls around every 3750 miles. I'd rather it be at 3K, but I won't quibble over the extra 750 miles. I figure this little device can prevent me from being broke down along the road, with a blown engine.
It can alert me, when something inside the engine starts coming apart. The one I had on my 2013 Soul, did just that.
Purple Violet Automotive tire Magenta Auto part

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
What kind of oil I can use on my 2022 Soul to stretch the oil change intervals ( maybe every 10K to 15 K). I currently have 6K miles on the car.
A little late to this thread....

How many miles do you drive per year? What kind of driving.

You could consider using Extended Performance motor oil. For less than 7,500 miles, the stock Kia oil filter should be fine. For 10K or miles, you should get an extended performance oil filter.

Your Soul has an MPI engine, not a GDI engine as found on the 2nd generation Souls so short oil change intervals should not be quite so critical.

I like these: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and the Extended Performance versions of Mobil 1, Castrol Edge. I buy them on sale.

I am currently using Extended Performance motor oil in the GDI Soul -- 5W20. I change it about once a year. Last year at roughly 7K km/4.4K miles, never more than 12K km/7,500 miles. I always use the Kia motor oil filter.

I have done the same with two 4X4 offroad SUVs, a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder and now a 2006 Nissan Xterra. Both these engines are MPI. Neither of them leaked/leak oil. Both of them were purchased with 70-80K miles on them.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Soul LX
5 Posts
In the eight months I've owned my 2022 Soul Lx, I've changed the oil twice: the first time at 700 miles and the second at 1200, and YES there was fine metal particles in the first drain! I'm using Castrol Edge 5w30 thru the hot Colorado summer. At the six month point, I called my dealer and told them I wanted an oil change. I was told I didn't need one, given the low mileage, until perhaps a YEAR from the purchase date! Ok fine! I've changed it, using only O.E. Kia filters. I have changed oil way earlier and more often in every car I have ever owned....as well as my parents cars, sister's and friends as well. Never had an engine failure or issue! Whether I keep this car or trade up in the future, any vehicle I own will get frequent oil changes!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts