Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
What kind of oil I can use on my 2022 Soul to stretch the oil change intervals ( maybe every 10K to 15 K). I currently have 6K miles on the car.

Thanks
No stretching!
Change it with synthetic every 4k...... not any longer than that. Since the requirement may now be 0w20 during the Warranty period, I recommend any of the better protection / longer life / above standards full synthetic oils.

Mobil-1 EP
Castrol EP
Valvoline EP
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Supertech Advanced

Personally speaking, I would use 5w30 and change the oil every 3k.
That's me and I'm anal about keeping a really clean engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No stretching!
Change it with synthetic every 4k...... not any longer than that. Since the requirement may now be 0w20 during the Warranty period, I recommend any of the better protection / longer life / above standards full synthetic oils.

Mobil-1 EP
Castrol EP
Valvoline EP
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Supertech Advanced

Personally speaking, I would use 5w30 and change the oil every 3k.
That's me and I'm anal about keeping a really clean engine.
Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you like having a warranty I'd assume you're driving under severe conditions as defined in the manual, which means you are required to change the oil at least every 3750 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first, no matter what type of oil you use. I have mine changed every 6 months at ~2500 miles with cheap conventional oil since I believe synthetic is a waste of money that often and there's no way I'll still own this car when it has 100k miles on it.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,874 Posts
If you like having a warranty I'd assume you're driving under severe conditions as defined in the manual, which means you are required to change the oil at least every 3750 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first, no matter what type of oil you use. I have mine changed every 6 months at ~2500 miles with cheap conventional oil since I believe synthetic is a waste of money that often and there's no way I'll still own this car when it has 100k miles on it.
Yeah, I had my Dealer do the oil changes for the first 5 years (of basic warranty). They always used dino Mobile from the 55 gallon drum behind their shop.

When I got to year 6, I decided to change my own oil and the cost difference to use full synthetic was marginal, so I've gone that route. I've seen some hefty markups by Dealers on full synthetic, like it's an expensive secret sauce.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yeah, I had my Dealer do the oil changes for the first 5 years (of basic warranty). They always used dino Mobile from the 55 gallon drum behind their shop.

When I got to year 6, I decided to change my own oil and the cost difference to use full synthetic was marginal, so I've gone that route. I've seen some hefty markups by Dealers on full synthetic, like it's an expensive secret sauce.
So true. Some places charge around $100 or more for a full synthetic oil change. That’s ridiculous because full synthetic is only a couple dollars more when you buy it in the store. If I didn’t change my own oil, I would just get the synthetic blend $29.99 oil change special.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,874 Posts
Kia dealers don't like owners to do maintenance themselves. My experience anyway ....
I know what you mean. Restaurants hate it when we eat at home too. Oh the humanity :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
What kind of oil I can use on my 2022 Soul to stretch the oil change intervals ( maybe every 10K to 15 K). I currently have 6K miles on the car.

Thanks
I get reminders from Carfax and have followed their latest suggestion about the oil change and tire rotation. I went to a local good place that they like. I brought my previously unopened 5-quart jug of Mobile 1 5W-20 oil. Probably Walmart better price than their price. My Soul is a 2019 base unit. Next time I get any tire service I will get out my X lug wrench as I do not have a power wrench in my car.
You have to trust smarter people to assist in taking care of things like vehicles. Good luck is passed on.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Thanks
If you want to keep that Soul forever. Change the oil every 3 months or 3000 miles whichever comes first. Use regular CONVENTIONAL OIL 5W20 OR 5W30 UNLESS the owners manual says otherwise .
You are asking for trouble letting it get to 6k.
You must be rich and want to buy a soul every 5 years.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Kia Inc will not void your warranty if you show them a clean engine under the valve covers that's had routine Severe Schedule OCIs and needed one full year to reach 3.75k.

Our dealership knows I change my Soul oil every 3k and if the vehicle needs eight months to reach 3k, everybody at the dealership is fine with changing it every eight months.

Unless you live on Daytona Beach where salt constantly fills the air - or in the middle of the Sahara Desert where sand flies around daily - or atop Mt Everest - or drive 100% of the time at 25MPH or less, you are fine going a few months beyond six months.

This is all about keeping your engine clean and keeping the oil contents from being overrun with sooty carbon and fuel dilution. So use common sense here people. This so-called adherence to every six months regardless of miles driven does not apply to 99% of the 3-Gen Kia Ownership population.

..... and synthetic oils do protect your 3-Gen engine much better than conventional or synblends. Plus, it only costs you a couple dollars more. So if six dollars savings once a year is that important to you, then perhaps you aren't a Kia owner that keeps the vehicle a lifetime.

If you are a lifetime Kia owner of 3-Gen engines and use conventional oils, then you lack the common sense that synthetics keep the engine alive longer. Any Google Search research will reveal that.... in a matter of 2-3 minutes of reading.

Even the 2022-2023 (maybe even 2021) Owners Manual stipulates synthetic when issuing guidelines of using their 0w20 and 0w30 oils. Both of these grades are synthetic. They are not conventional oils.

So even Hyunkia Inc has found the light and moved into synthetics and thicker viscosities. It's about time. Had they issued these same oil guidelines from 2012-onward and told owners to adhere to Severe Service OCIs, a million more Theta 2's would probably still be on the road today.

Lastly, let me reiterate that 0w30 is a thicker viscosity than even 5w30, at operate temperature. 0w30 also has better cold flow than 5w30 in frigid weather. 0w30 is a tougher, stronger-built oil than 5w20/30.

What it lack is the Approvals for better gas mileage and that's what matters most with car manufacturer regulations, handed down by USA government.

So if MPG is most important to you, then use GF-6A / ILSAC / SP-rated / Dexos 1 Gen 2/3 oils in your Theta 2 engine. If your engine is Smartstream, use the 0w approved oils.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Reading this thread, it's obvious to this old soul, that there are those who never read their owners' manual.
There is one thing in every manual I've read over the past ten years, with three Souls, and that's the following:
Rectangle Font Number Paper product Paper

NOTE: I didn't write that....KIA Engineering did. You don't have to fall into all 11 conditions, just one or two will do.
I personally qualify as a Severe driver, under C, E, F, K, and occasionally J.

My own service manager told me once, that he considers every KIA that comes into the shop, as having been driven under SEVERE DRIVING CONDITIONS. Because, of "E", above.
So when I told him that I always change my oil at 3k miles, he just smiled and nodded (yes).

I was once told, "there is no way you can Over Maintain your car, but it's easy to UNDER Maintain it."
Lack of maintenance (oil changes, etc.) can greatly shorten the life of the car, while really good maintenance can greatly increase the life of a car.
Based on that, I do everything I can to give my car the very best care I can. Oil changes at no more than 3750 miles is just a start, regardless of what oil my dealer uses. (Currently, Castrol 5W30 synthetic)

Happy trails mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I get reminders from Carfax and have followed their latest suggestion about the oil change and tire rotation. I went to a local good place that they like. I brought my previously unopened 5-quart jug of Mobile 1 5W-20 oil. Probably Walmart better price than their price. My Soul is a 2019 base unit. Next time I get any tire service I will get out my X lug wrench as I do not have a power wrench in my car.
You have to trust smarter people to assist in taking care of things like vehicles. Good luck is passed on.
I have paid for a tire rotation at Walmart, when I get there I number them the order of rotation I want.
Product Rectangle Gesture Font Audio equipment

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Ah....you don't do that with radial ply tires. It can cause tread separation.
Radial ply tires should only be rotated front to back on the same side of the car.
I didn't dream that up...I got that info from several tire experts, over the years.

FWD cars put tremendous stress on the front tires, and the bands inside the tire will stretch in one direction.
Now, when you put that same tire on the other side of the car, the stresses will be in the opposite direction and can cause band separation, and tire failure.

On my Olds Toronados, (3) with near 400 horsepower engines, and 3600 pounds of car sitting on the front tires, the stresses on the tires were horrendous. Complicated by accelerating into a corner. The old bias ply tires would just come apart in just a few thousand miles. I was forced to buy the new and very expensive FWD tire (J78x15) from Goodyear, to get any kind of mileage at all out of a set of tires. I'd still burn them off in less that 10k miles, on my '66 Toro.
The introduction of Radial Ply tires really helped that situation. But, I'd still NEVER cross rotate my tires.
A word to the wise...etc., etc, etc.

Happy Trails Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you want to keep that Soul forever. Change the oil every 3 months or 3000 miles whichever comes first. Use regular CONVENTIONAL OIL 5W20 OR 5W30 UNLESS the owners manual says otherwise .
You are asking for trouble letting it get to 6k.
You must be rich and want to buy a soul every 5 years.
KIA SYNTHETIC OIL REQUIREMENT NOTICE
NOTICE TO OUR LOYAL SERVICE CUSTOMERS REGARDING YOUR KIA WARRANTY AND KIA’S NEW SYNTHETIC OIL REQUIREMENT
Kia is now requiring that all vehicles manufactured after April 2021 use full-synthetic oil to continue to be covered under the factory warranty. After June of 2022, any vehicle that is still under factory warranty will need to use full-synthetic oil to continue to be covered under factory warranty. The use of conventional oil or semi-synthetic oil can cause your warranty to be voided. Kia Warranty Oil Change Requirements | Is Synthetic Oil Worth It? (kenganleykiamentor.com)

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
KIA SYNTHETIC OIL REQUIREMENT NOTICE
NOTICE TO OUR LOYAL SERVICE CUSTOMERS REGARDING YOUR KIA WARRANTY AND KIA’S NEW SYNTHETIC OIL REQUIREMENT
Kia is now requiring that all vehicles manufactured after April 2021 use full-synthetic oil to continue to be covered under the factory warranty. After June of 2022, any vehicle that is still under factory warranty will need to use full-synthetic oil to continue to be covered under factory warranty. The use of conventional oil or semi-synthetic oil can cause your warranty to be voided. Kia Warranty Oil Change Requirements | Is Synthetic Oil Worth It? (kenganleykiamentor.com)
I've used Castrol Edge since day one with Kia filters, I just stocked up on filters and crush washers. Bought a couple drain plugs also, super cheap. I have three years worth of oil changes now.
Packing materials Rectangle Fluid Plastic bag Carton

·
Registered
490 Posts
21 - 40 of 63 Posts