Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
That’s not a good idea. You should stick to the intervals in the owners manual, preferably the severe schedule. Any SP GF-6 oil found on the shelf at Walmart will work just fine. I personally like Quaker State Full Synthetic. The newer 2.0L Souls call for 0w-20, but if it was my car, I’d use 5w-30 and change it every 5k miles.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts
AJ, take some time to read the threads on oil in this forum. Stretching out oil changes, no matter what brand or type you use is a fools errand.

That dirty oil, which did it's job by lubricating & collecting impurities has to come out & be replaced with fresh, clean oil. Rinse & repeat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s not a good idea. You should stick to the intervals in the owners manual, preferably the severe schedule. Any SP GF-6 oil found on the shelf at Walmart will work just fine. I personally like Quaker State Full Synthetic. The newer 2.0L Souls call for 0w-20, but if it was my car, I’d use 5w-30 and change it every 5k miles.
Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AJ, take some time to read the threads on oil in this forum. Stretching out oil changes, no matter what brand or type you use is a fools errand.

That dirty oil, which did it's job by lubricating & collecting impurities has to come out & be replaced with fresh, clean oil. Rinse & repeat.
Sure I will do that, dealer recommended every 7500miles.
Thank you

·
Registered
652 Posts
There is a YouTube channel, “The Car Care Nut,” by a Toyota certified master mechanic. He has several videos specifically warning against extending oil changes more than 5000 miles if you want to keep your Toyota foe any length of time. If this applies to a Toyot, I believe it equally would apply to a Kia or any other car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a YouTube channel, “The Car Care Nut,” by a Toyota certified master mechanic. He has several videos specifically warning against extending oil changes more than 5000 miles if you want to keep your Toyota foe any length of time. If this applies to a Toyot, I believe it equally would apply to a Kia or any other car.
Thank you Tree 44, i will check it out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Oil burning didn't happen in the early 90s', so what have they done since then? Thinner oil like 0w-20 weight and longer oil changed intervals! They even now do a piston soak to get the rings unstuck! Kia has now required us to use only full synthetic motor oil. I don't drive that much, so I do it every 6 months or 6,000 miles ( April 1st & October 1st). I use Walmart brand 5w-30 weight motor oil. Depending on where you live you could go thicker, look at your owner's manual & save your receipts! Extending oil change intervals beyond what the manufacturer recommends will void your warranty!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've watched several videos that have explained oil burning. Didn't happen in the early 90s', so what have they done since then? Thinner oil like 0w-20 weight and longer oil changed intervals! They even now do a piston soak to get the rings unstuck! Kia has now required us to use only full synthetic motor oil. I don't drive that much, so I do it every 6 months or 6,000 miles ( April 1st & October 1st). I use Walmart brand 5w-30 weight motor oil. Depending on where you live you could go thicker, look at your owner's manual & save your receipts!
Thank you

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts
Thank you
Thanks AJ. That 7,500 mile oil change is a "marketing" number designed to make car buyers feel more carefree about the burdens of maintenance (in a perfect world & driven conservatively). It is not a good number to use if you want to give your engine a long life.

The owners manual has caveats about the 7,500 mile oil changes, often referred to as "Severe Usage" that cuts the OCI more than half. Most drivers in the US fall into that category and have no idea they do (KIA's words, not mine).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks AJ. That 7,500 mile oil change is a "marketing" number designed to make car buyers feel more carefree about the burdens of maintenance (in a perfect world & driven conservatively). It is not a good number to use if you want to give your engine a long life.

The owners manual has caveats about the 7,500 mile oil changes, often referred to as "Severe Usage" that cuts the OCI more than half. Most drivers in the US fall into that category and have no idea they do (KIA's words, not mine).
You are correct.
Thank you

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
A while back I read a KIA trained technician telling us that KIA, the company, not the dealer, made a change on what they want the dealers to use. They went from the old 5W20 oil, printed on the filler cap, to a little heavier 5W30. And from dino oil to full synthetic.
So lo and behold, guess what my dealer puts in my car? ....... Currently Castrol 5W30 Synthetic. And of course only Genuine KIA Oil Filters.
When I picked up my 2020 Soul (#2 used) they told me the car had just had an oil change and that I should come back in 3750 miles for my next oil change. OK, I did. Then they put a sticker on my windshield telling me to come back for my next oil change in 6000 miles. NO WAY JOSE!
I'll be back there for my next oil change no later than 3750 miles.

I've been driving KIA Souls since 2012, and I've always followed the old school RULE of an oil change every 3k miles,
with the best oil I could buy. (At Walmart) My favorite was always Castrol GTX.
The 3k rule has served me well for over a half century now, with more cars than I can remember.

My drained oil, from my Gen-1 Soul still serves me well, around the shop and home, for misc. lubrication jobs. :giggle:
Waste not, want not!
Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A while back I read a KIA trained technician telling us that KIA, the company, not the dealer, made a change on what they want the dealers to use. They went from the old 5W20 oil, printed on the filler cap, to a little heavier 5W30. And from dino oil to full synthetic.
So lo and behold, guess what my dealer puts in my car? ....... Currently Castrol 5W30 Synthetic. And of course only Genuine KIA Oil Filters.
When I picked up my 2020 Soul (#2 used) they told me the car had just had an oil change and that I should come back in 3750 miles for my next oil change. OK, I did. Then they put a sticker on my windshield telling me to come back for my next oil change in 6000 miles. NO WAY JOSE!

I've been driving KIA Souls since 2012, and I've always followed the old school RULE of an oil change every 3k miles,
The 3k rule has served me well for over a half century now, with more cars than I can remember.

My drained oil, from my Gen-1 Soul still serves me well, around the shop and home, for misc. lubrication jobs. :giggle:
Waste not, want not!
Cheers Mates!
Thank you , it was very useful information.
That is what I did on my brand new 2002 Hyundai elantra for 18 years. every 3K miles.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Thank you
I have never seen a dealer recommend 7500 miles on these. Most recommend 5k to 6k tops and 3k to 5k for Turbo models. Your owner's manual states you should do 3750 mile interval for severe duty and 7500 only for light duty which basically does not exist under their definition of what qualifies as light duty (short of driving in the midwest during nice weather months and only on freeways, maybe) so any dealer would be wrong to tell you that number unless you told them you don't drive on extremely hot days, cold days and only run flat ground freeways for long periods of time.
5k is a good number, don't go over 6k. That pretty much assumes you do a mix of city and freeway driving. Keep your maintenance records. If you were to ever have an issue with your engine burning oil or having a mechanical defect if you can provide maintenance records quickly they won't question much else.
If you do your own oil changes or go somewhere other than a dealership be 1000% certain that you or they change the crush washer on the drain plug each and every time. It is called a crush washer for a reason, if it is tightened once it gets crushed and should never be re used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you do your own oil changes or go somewhere other than a dealership be 1000% certain that you or they change the crush washer on the drain plug each and every time. It is called a crush washer for a reason, if it is tightened once it gets crushed and should never be re used.
Thank you very much, I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had my last oil change at my dealer August 8 at my dealer. when I scheduled the appointment, I was advised that the write-up guy said, “By the way, Kia now tells us to only use full synthetic oil.” I told him no problem, that’s what I’ve only put in it. A few minutes later, he laughed and said that he saw on my records that was the case. When I checked out I noticed that the oil change sticker had a 7000 mile oil change interval. I’m going to ignore that and can the oil at my usual 4000 or so miles.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Waste not, want not!
Cheers Mates!
Welcome Back!!!!
:cool::cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts