Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what are you guys using to cover the cargo area (meaning folded-down seats and all) when hauling potentially messy stuff? Such as bags of mulch, fertilizer, things of that nature. My first thought was a moving blanket or a plastic tarp, but thought I'd ask the forum to get any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Sonic

·
Registered
167 Posts
Get a rubber mat with a lip. I have seen them at auto part stores. They make them for my 1990s blazer which has a longer rear cargo area just measure to fit or come close. I think they run around 70$. They are nice to have in case of spills or mess. Just hose out.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
There are several options and some endless discussions over time in the forums. Basically there is the stock cargo mat the comes with the Exclaim, probably can get that from your dealer, there is WeatherTech (pricey but nice), Findway (cheaper but wear well), and a host of generics that are on the web. I have the stock mat the comes with the car but I carry a moving blanket (cost me 12 bucks) with me to cover the entire back area when I am loading something back there. If you look at the recent thread on cargo tray removal, CONWELPIC posted some pictures showing what appears to be a WeatherTech (am I right there?).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the stock one but it only covers the small area of the soul. If your like me and have to bring home things that should only be brought home in a truck the larger rubber mat should extend up to the front seats so as not to drop potting soil or dust in and around your rear seats or god forbid a spilled can of paint or as stain. Manuer is the worst.. pew!!! I have even brought home 8ft pvc in my soul. No lumber yet. LOL

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I'm aware of the full-size custom rubber liners but those things are costly, I think the WT mat just for the back cargo section is $100 alone, I suspect the full size one is probably $200 or more. I was more wondering about DIY solutions. I rarely need to transport anything major, just on rare occasion bags of landscaping rock or mulch or bark or chemicals, small stuff. Small moisture at most, no liquid that would equate to a "spill". Most of the time I could probably even get away with just using the rear section of the cargo area, I've already got the cargo logic tray. I was just wondering what simple thing I could use to cover the whole cargo area in case needed. I was thinking maybe a tarp first then a moving blanket on top, but people are pretty crafty here on the forum so was wondering if there are any other DIY ideas...

Lumber....uh...probably not unless it was minimal and blanket wrapped. The inside of the Soul scratches easily.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
to transport our dog (Golden Retriever) I put down this rubber mat which I bought from Canadian Tire for about $20 and cut it to shape and it overhangs the rear bumper to protect it as she gets in and out. For larger messy things or items that could potentially damage the side, I use this cargo tarp which I bought when I had my Rondo, which has sides. It's a bit more loose on the Soul with it being smaller than the Rondo, but it does the job, it was around $36 from Lee Valley. If I am transporting any heavy items, however, I put pieces of plywood under it to help spread the load and offer more support to the rear floor area and on the backs of the rear seats when they are folded down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I would just use a tarp. Waterproof, cheap, and you can store it in the spare area, or in the cargo tray if you have it, when you're done. No sides, but if you're hauling stuff that's going to spill all over the place anyway, you really need a truck. As in, I wouldn't shovel loose mulch, gravel, or manure back there. If you're hauling it in bags, just make sure you don't buy any bags that are ripped. I brought home 5 bags of topsoil from Lowes yesterday in the back of mine, no mess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Heck if you want cheap. Find your nearest construction site and get a hold of some tyvek. Maybe even get for free size of soul would be a scrap piece. Waterproof. Tarps and blankets not. Hard to tear and can still fold up and put under rear deck.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Tyvek is water resistant but will not hold water, as its designed to be breathable when installed on your house, otherwise you could have serious problems with your home.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I rarely need to transport anything major, just on rare occasion bags of landscaping rock or mulch or bark or chemicals, small stuff. Small moisture at most, no liquid that would equate to a "spill". Most of the time I could probably even get away with just using the rear section of the cargo area, I've already got the cargo logic tray. I was just wondering what simple thing I could use to cover the whole cargo area in case needed. I was thinking maybe a tarp first then a moving blanket on top, but people are pretty crafty here on the forum so was wondering if there are any other DIY ideas...
As I said before, I have and use a pile of moving blankets that are left over from my last move, I keep one folded up in the back of the car. I spread it out over the entire back area with the seats down and when the load is in, I pull the excess up the front, back and sides, over the top of the load. Twelve bucks but it is a left over. If you were around me, I would just give you one. I have hauled bagged mulch (up to ten 2.0 bags) and garden stuff like this, with some rips in the bags and some moisture seeping out but not much. The blanket absorbs that little bit and when I get home I pull the stuff out and the blanket to dry. Nothing in the car at all. That is a cheap DYI solution using something that may be laying around. I have used a tarp also but they tend to channel moisture to the lowest point, do not absorb and when removing them tend to spill the water onto the car. Up to you.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Well, you could use a tarp underneath and a moving blanket on top. Then you get the best of both worlds - something to sop up spills, and something to keep moisture off of your seats.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think it depends on the frequency of hauling stuff with the seats folded down. The tarp/moving blanket combo is what we've used for the few times we've hauled anything. But is we had a dog or hauled all the time we would get one of those plastic/Rubbermaid type covers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
old post, but appropriate and actually I did mention this in a earlier post on this thread (I have one) but here is a link to the product and maybe a cheap alternative to some of the other products.

Cargo Liner - Lee Valley Tools

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Gee! Why so much to do about just a cargo area cover. I don't get it!!!
Doesn't anyone have any imagination anymore?

Stop by any carpet store and pick up a piece of scrap carpeting and cut it to fit.
Voial! an instant cargo area covering. No sweat, no cost and ho hassle. When it
gets soiled either wash it or replace it. No matter.......

:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts