Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - we bought two Souls over the holidays. My wife has a "less-intimidating" base model, mine is the + with Nav/Sound. I read somewhere where with this combination you get some leather trim. I think the shifter has leather, the steering wheel has 'leather' and I'm wondering about the curved part over the gauges....is that leather? Interested so I use the right cleaner on it. Neither dealer nor Kia 800 # really new the answer! Thx... We like these cars so far.... DT

·
Registered
On my second Soul - a 2020 LX w/IVT
113 Posts
I think the only real leather item on the Plus is the steering wheel. As with most interior materials, one only needs to keep the surface clean - no need to moisturize. If a surface is dirty, cleaning with a damp microfiber and possibly a mild soap is plenty. Feel free to buy/use a leather cleaner/conditioner, but it's not really required.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
The only leather that I know of is on the steering wheel, shift knob and the seats. There is either leather seat trim or entire leather seats in some high end models. A basic Exclaim, for example, comes with leather steering wheel and shift knob but no leather seats or trim. I believe it calls that leatherette trim but is really vinyl.

If you have the audio package then you have the wheel and the knob. If you have in addition, the "primo" package, then you have leather seat trim. You can tell if you have the primo package because you will have a glass panoramic roof. The "Umber" package is all leather but I do not believe that is offered in the plus for 2016. I assume that you have 2016 cars.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,415 Posts
Isn't the center armrest leather? I added it to my Base MT model & it was the costliest of the 4 pieces. It smelled like real leather too when I opened the box......hee haw...giddy up!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sounds exactly like my car except my + is a 15. The shift knob is def leather. The steering wheel is def leather. The center box cover seems like leather but I dont think it is. The dome cover over the gauges seems a lot like leather but dont think it is either. You almost cannot tell the difference. The feel of the wheel and the dome cover is the same to me. Either way it is very nice. Dont worry over it just enjoy it.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
a good interior cleaner (I use Turtle Was ICE interior detail cleaner) will clean all materials so it really doesn't matter, a bit different if your seats are leather then you might want to use a dedicated leather cleaner.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Unless you are planning on keeping your vehicle for a long time(5-10 years+),and unless you live in an area with extreme
hot summer heat(like Florida),any type of interior cleaner will work on leather.
From the comments thus far,it appears that the use of leather is minimal in the Soul.
You are not going to get much real leather in a vehicle that is in the 20-25k category,right?
My 2013 + has a leather steering wheel&shift knob. Also,what appears to be a leather shift boot(not sure on the
boot). Having cars with a lot of leather,I routinely slather the leather in my Soul with a leather conditioner.
I use Zymol. The top brand leather cleaner/conditioners are pretty much the same. All have nutrients that
are absorbed by the leather. Real leather will soak up the conditioner. Vinyl will not.

If it were me,regardless of how long you plan on keeping your vehicle,if it has leather,I'd use an appropriate
leather conditioner on a regular basis.
You will thank yourself when it comes time to sell/trade your vehicle with the leather looking like new.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I recently bought a 2016 Plus Signature Special Edition Package (Some say its called "the Umber Package".) As I understand it, Kia built an unspecified number of these Souls and included some appointments not found on a typical Plus... In other words, items you would otherwise have to move into the Exclaim packages. Even the dealer is sketchy and of course a little bigger price package, which I was happy to pay to get some very nice features.

As you can see the window sticker shows it to have leather steering wheel and shift knob, "brown leather interior trim", sometimes listed as, "Premium Nappa Leather seating surfaces".... The seats do indeed look, feel and seem like leather on the outside edges with perforated center seat bottoms and back rests. I have read the door arm accents are also leather covered. Getting solid information is all over the board and as clear as mud. Most peoples end response is something like, "Oh, well that model is too new to have too much information on right now." and the salesmen will tell you ANYTHING.

It lists a Center console w/ armrest & storage bin says nothing about being leather, additionally, nothing is mentioned about the dash top. (On my sheet)

On a different note, the build specs claim to include a Tilt & Telescopic steering column. The tilt part is a no brainer but I haven't figured out how it "telescopes" if anyone knows... Read the manual?? who does that!!

I might also add, the dealers head is out to lunch in giving me solid information on the paint code for the two tone paint. MY paint code is AH3. After a run around to almost every department and given run around information I came home and did some research on my own. According to the dealer, Fathom Blue (KU9) and another blue color name which they offer are really the same color, different code... Thats according to my dealer. The white top (1D) is according to the dealer Clear white. Apparently some people are calling it Polar White and Cloud White.

Kind of a funny story, during my several visits to the Kia Dealer I was doing business with, at least 2 visitors were in wanting information on their $99 a month Kia Soul. The salesman would dance around a little about details but finally disclose that they are available at $99 a month with $10,000 down.. LOL... right...

Also, you guys are right.... The horn tone is wiiiiiimpy. Gotta change that.

Enclosed is the additional Installed Equipment list.

IMG_5642.jpg

·
Registered
306 Posts
a good interior cleaner (I use Turtle Was ICE interior detail cleaner) will clean all materials so it really doesn't matter, a bit different if your seats are leather then you might want to use a dedicated leather cleaner.
Good to know... I haven't used Turtle products in years and years personally. I prefer Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for interiors, great for general cleaning and leaves a nice smell. I will use their leather cleaner on leather appointments when the time comes.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
On a different note, the build specs claim to include a Tilt & Telescopic steering column. The tilt part is a no brainer but I haven't figured out how it "telescopes" if anyone knows... Read the manual?? who does that!!
.......well some of us do otherwise we wouldn't be able to give the answer to the ones that don't. :sneakiness: - tip - it's not written in Korean also download a copy on your computer in pdf and you can make use of the search feature.

the telescopic is 'a no brainer' - release the lock and pull or push - it works for me :applause: (oh, and its explained on page 4/44 in the 2016 Canadian owners manual - probably close in the US one (I don't have a copy) - took me about 30 seconds to find it. :sneakiness:

·
Registered
306 Posts
.......well some of us do otherwise we wouldn't be able to give the answer to the ones that don't. :sneakiness: - tip - it's not written in Korean also download a copy on your computer in pdf and you can make use of the search feature.

the telescopic is 'a no brainer' - release the lock and pull or push - it works for me :applause: (oh, and its explained on page 4/44 in the 2016 Canadian owners manual - probably close in the US one (I don't have a copy) - took me about 30 seconds to find it. :sneakiness:
Well I'll be... How about that. I even downloaded the manual... Give me something to do since its raining out side... Can't be getting my precious baby wet. Thanks!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow...thanks for all the info and ideas! The Kia customer care # said the "dome cover" above the gauges is "soft touch" material - but it's confusing since it has the same yellow or whatever stitching that the steering wheel has and a different texture than the rest of the dash.... Sounds like things are constantly evolving in Soul land.... Still comfortable for us older folks... DT

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wow...thanks for all the info and ideas! The Kia customer care # said the "dome cover" above the gauges is "soft touch" material - but it's confusing since it has the same yellow or whatever stitching that the steering wheel has and a different texture than the rest of the dash.... Sounds like things are constantly evolving in Soul land.... Still comfortable for us older folks... DT
I'm thinkin the "soft touch" material is vinyl. Infact,my shift boot that LOOKS like leather is more than likely the same stuff.
It does not absorb leather conditioner.
In relation to this topic,as with a a lot things,advances in materials have made a bunch of vinyls really look&feel like leather.
Thats not all that bad given the amount of upkeep to keep real leather looking new.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If you have a Soul with the leather package IE: leather seats, the seating area and backrest area is actually leather, the side bolsters both seat and back rest are vinyl. You can use a good vinyl cleaner detailer on the side bolsters,but the seat and backrest need leather conditioner to prevent drying out and cracking. I do mine spring, summer, and fall. Any good leather conditioner works, I like Auto glymn or Meguirs products. Put some on the leather and rub it in with your hands ( conditions your skin too) leave about 15 mins. and buff off. My last 5 cars all had leather and I never had any cracking, you will get creases in the side bolsters this is unpreventable.

Pat.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If your seats are leather you can clean them using a soft rag and water with a few drops of a mild dish soap. Using a leather condition a couple of times a year will help keep the leather soft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You'd be surprised what's leather and whats vinyl, even in high end brands. I had an Infiniti QX that MSRP'd north of $55k and only the seating area and steering wheel were real leather. Everything else (Seat bolster, back, armrests, door trim, center console) was vinyl.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi- yes, I finally took a look at the details on the window sticker and it indicated only leather shifter and steering wheel so I guess the answer was right in front of me! It has the two tone seats but I have no idea if there's any leather there, I can't tell. Thx.. .DT

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 2016 Exclaim with the Umber pkg. has a leather steering wheei, shift knob, & seating surfaces.
The armrests,instrument cluster cover, shift boot & console armrest are vinyl ( Kia calls it leatherette). The whole seating surface- perforated center inserts & bolsters including the narrow
tuxedo stripe are leather front and back including the front panel of all headrests. That is not the case with most non luxury American & Japanese vehicles- most of them use a lot of vinyl on the rear/second row seat. The bolsters & center section are usually vinyl & even some on the front seats of Chrysler/Jeep vehicles. With a seat cover design like on the Soul that would mean that only the perforated parts would be leather.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts