Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
2012 Soul. 165 horsepower engine, automatic. I was at a light tonight and I hit the throttle hard. Halfway through the shifting the engine completely died for about 5 seconds and then picked up again. During that time a HUGE black smoke bellowed out and lasted for about a mile. Little by little it slowly went away. The engine still had plenty of power. Then are no engine noises. No knocking, ticking, skipping, etc. It idles great. What the heck happened?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Black smoke is usually the result of an excessively rich mixture, which could be caused by worn or leaky injectors; clogged air filter; sticky fuel pressure regulator; faulty MAF, O2, or ECTS sensor; clogged return line... lots of things, most of them easy and cheap to fix, some not.

My first guess, because the engine shut down briefly, would be the fuel pressure regulator, but it really could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hitting the throttle hard on auto will bring in kick down if you were doing 100mph then engine will over rev. and safety circuit kick in . the black smoke was probably the CAT burning off and self cleaning this can be caused by fuel, on your enforced shut down, fuel going into CAT as used on diesel DPF/Cat burn off cleaning.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts