Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm about to order some aftermarket alloys for my 2011 Kia soul and was wondering what does everyone recommend regarding tyre size for 19" alloys? I have OE 18" alloys on at moment and they are 225/45.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
i also recommend a kidney belt and a case of depends!
Maybe even a chiropractor or a dentist when the bone jarring ride slips a disc or loosens a filling.
lmfao!!!!!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
lol +1

Ignoring the eye-candy aspect of BIG tires, and speaking strictly from an engineering aspect,
why on earth would anyone (pointing no fingers at anyone specifically) put 19" tires on a car
that was originally designed and built with 15" wheels and tires on it?

The most basic mechanical concepts dictate that the smaller the tires, the greater the 'Power to the Road' will be.
And, the greater stability the vehicle will have.

On the personal level, my Kia Soul came with and still has on it, 15" wheels and tires. I have actually taught mechanical concepts to apprentices years ago, while working for a Major World Corporation.

The further away from the source of power, the axle in this case, the less usable torque you will have.
So the bigger you go with wheels and tires, the less power you're going to get where the rubber meets the road. That's not a performance increase, but a serious performance Decrease.

Now, with the price of fuel today, I want to get all the power to the wheels and tires, and subsequently to the road that I can get. And I also want the most vehicle stability and perform-ability that I can get.
Among other things, I'm an old Road Racer, and the above mentioned attributes are of great importance to me.

Having said all that (thank you for bearing with me) there is no way in H311, that I would ever put larger wheels and tires on my Soul. I get the greatest performance and MPG possible with my OEM 15's.

I live in an environment, with SAND everywhere, so I've put wider tires on my Soul, just for the increased traction, and not for the "look of it". I've also had to shop for tires with a tread pattern that is more aggressive than the OEM all-weather tires. As a result, my traction in sand is great, my car's performance on the highway is great, and my MPG is equally great.

Thank you,
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
FLh Said: "why on earth would anyone put 19" tires on a car
that was originally designed and built with 15" wheels and tires on it?"

Because...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some folks just ain't beholdin!

In all fairness the stock tire size for the 2011 sport was an 18 so going up 1 size is not all that radical as FLh's post would imply.
That being said I prefer ride quality and civility over all out handling, something the soul comes up short on regardless of tire size.
This old man feels that the ride is too compromised with the 18's no less a 19 inch tire set up but that's just 1 mans opinion.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I replaced the OEM 18" Rims and tires with 18" Enkie Lusso & Michelin Pilot sport tires, I don't find the ride to be too bad. However if I was doing it again I would go down to 17". I find the 17" winter tires to be more comfortable ride wise. Too much dollars tied up in the Enkies and Michelin tires to do anything about it now.

Pat.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I think it also depends on the roads in your locality.
If you are blessed with glass smooth roads then the larger rim sizes/low profile tires may not be a factor.
Here in NY where roads are riddled with potholes and patches after every winter, the larger rim sizes compromise ride and are susceptible to damage.
Really depends on where your priorities lie...

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Well said....

And along the same thought.....When people come to me and ask me "what computer should I buy", I always ask, "well what do you want to do with it?".

Usage dictates what you buy. If you were going to drive from N.Y. to L.A. on Interstate Highways and all paved roads, I'd say, get the narrowest tire that will fit on your rims and run them at the maximum SAFE pressure, printed on the side of the tire.

Now if you live here in FL, and you're going to be driving on paved roads and sand roads, I'd say get the widest tire that you can afford and that will fit on your rims.

My car came with 195 width tires and I'm running 215 width tires, But, I could even run 225 width tires if I wanted to push the width to the extreme, but I don't. I want the best performance I can get for OFF ROAD driving, without creating a possibility for tire failure.

So it comes back to my first premise..... what do you want your tires to do? And, where do you want them to do it?

I talked this all over with an experienced tire man, before I ever bought my first NON-OEM tire.
Now I'm really happy with my Hercules Tour 4+, 215/65/R15 tires that take me everywhere I want to go, whether down on the Interstate, at 80mph, or off on a little 4x4 trail, crawling along in 2nd Gear, at maybe 5 to 10 mph. I've done both today, with my tires at 42psi, for best performance and control. But when I'm working in deep sugar sand, I just drop the tire pressure down to about 18 psi on the front tires, and they pull like tractor tires.

Good Luck Mates!

:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts