Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car with 900 miles on it, and it had already had its first oil change.

Being the good doobie that I am, I signed up for the MyUVO website and installed the app on my phone, so that I'd be sure to be aware of when scheduled maintenance was due, and reap the benefits of whatever else I could from the app/website.

The website indicated that my next scheduled maintenance was 6,500 miles, which I dropped my car off to have today, as well as taking care of the recall, and fixing a squeak or two. The service tech told me that I should have had an oil change at 3k miles, and then the schedule is to have one at every 5k miles after that.

I was a bit surprised, because I did read the manual, and didn't see mention of this short of an oil change interval. He said it was in small print... ahem. I didn't find the humor, and then asked him why the myUVO website didn't tell me to bring it in earlier. He just shrugged it off and said he didn't know. The only thing I can think of is that he was suggesting I perform the service that was something like the "severe usage" schedule, which I didn't think this car qualified for. I also thought, because I'm cynical, that he is just trying to get me to get more oil changes so that their dealership can make more money from me ;)

I commute about 35 miles round trip to work each day on secondary roads, speeds up to about 50 combined with the usual stop and go at lights. Occasional highway miles, short distances of 20 miles or less. Random trips to PHX which is about 200 miles roundtrip. I live in Tucson, AZ, so the car is subjected to fairly warm temps for about 4-5 months out of the year if that makes a difference. I'm a fairly average driver, but do like to enjoy that little zip from the turbo now and then.

So, my question to you all - what schedule are you using for oil changes, and what type of schedule do you think I should follow?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
You're correct that the manual calls for longer times between oil changes.

However, if you educate yourself on the "going ons" of GDI engines, you'll find that running the proper & clean oil in them is paramount to their long term survival. They are more prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves as well.

The longer between oil changes means you're running dirtier oil. These engines have super tight tolerances compared to the "olden days" and clean lubrication is more vital than ever.

Read up on higher mileage Souls that are burning high amounts of oil between changes & then make your own decision.

Best of luck.

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/4-new-member-introductions/112801-2014-kia-soul-exclaim-suddenly-died-motor-locked-up.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you -

I'm all for doing the most to keep my car in its best shape, so if more frequent maintenance is what it takes, then I'm on board with that.

To me, this actually feels more like "olden days" - it was only when I got newer cars that the service intervals got further apart. My Olden Days Maintenance Interval was every 3500 if I recall correctly :)

I figured here was the best place to start "educating myself" - there seems to be a great amount of knowledge here that is trustworthy, vs what the google machine might steer me towards.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Modern oils stay working much longer though you want to find one that won't vaporize which is part of the issue with GDI. I haven't even looked at the book to see when I should bring mine in for the first oil, I'd imagine it is somewhere in the 3000 to 5000 mile range. It will get synthetic after the factory fill is done.

And it will get an oil catch can when I get my act together and buy one.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
Just go by the interval in your Owners' Manual. But look closely at what conditions they call "severe duty". Change the oil that often. I don't have a 2018, but for my 2015 it's 3750 miles for both regular and synthetic oil. Remember, even though synthetic is better oil, it picks up crud in the engine at same rate as ordinary oil.

·
Registered
842 Posts
No reason, imho, to change oil any earlier than 5,000. Modern oils hold up well. If you change to synthetic, you could go longer.

I'm pretty cautious so I run synthetic and change at 5,000, but I can at least admit to myself that I am being anal.

You can Google the large, NYC cab oil study and read their results.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
785 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just read that chart... What a bunch of garbage! They might as well have said if you ever drive your car, you are severe usage!

G - Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road
C - Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt-spread roads
Everywhere I go is some amount of uphill, downhill, that includes the interstate grades. And why does the dusty, muddy, or salt covered road get into the engine internals?

Basically this is a way for them to deny the 10/100 warranty because you didn't follow their overly cautious conditions.

Guess I better buy a 6 pack of oil analysis bottles so I can prove this wrong when they give me grief. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/discounts-bulk-orders/

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I don't put on a lot of kilometers, so I follow the time and take it in to my local dealer once every 6 months.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I don't put on a lot of kilometers, so I follow the time and take it in to my local dealer once every 6 months.
I am in the same boat as you Trevor, so I follow the six months schedule.

Pat.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So I just clipped 3k on my Soul... I am wondering if I should get that first one out of the way then stick with the 'normal' after that.

Anyone make an argument for why the first one should be different?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If there was any garbage left in the engine from manufacturing, it would (should) be removed with the first oil change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had 1st oil change this past Saturday at dealer and 3400 miles of which more than half the miles were recent 1800 mile highway trip rest were local stop and go driving.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
So I just clipped 3k on my Soul... I am wondering if I should get that first one out of the way then stick with the 'normal' after that.

Anyone make an argument for why the first one should be different?
I agree with GregE. On your new engine, any imperfections (little pieces of crap) should come out.

While oil is designed these days to go many more miles, remember that oil "suspends" imperfections & other garbage and it's good to get rid of that stuff. Yes, the oil itself is still viable & the filter should catch most of those tiny asteroids, but your baby is new and give it a little extra attention at the beginning :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I went back to pick up my car, a different service advisor checked me out, so I queried him as to what the recommended interval was. He indicated that it was the 6500 miles as stated in the manual and the app. Said I could push it to 7k or 6 months, whichever happens first, if I wanted to, but I'm not likely to do that. My vehicle did have its very first oil change at 700 miles, so at least my 6500 wasn't the absolute first.
I went ahead and wrote up a quick review on Google about my experiences at this dealer, which were largely positive except for the contradictory information from the techs. This apparently caught the eye of the dealership, because the service manager emailed me *and* called me to let me know that he was the person who quoted me the incorrect recommended interval in the morning, and that 6500 is the recommended interval according to the manual and the app.
I'll be sure to monitor the oil level myself in between scheduled service intervals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts