Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
For years, I've been using a product that I saw demonstrated once on TV, and I tried it, and fell in love with it.
It's called "Prolong" oil treatment. I've used it on every Suzuki and KIA I've owned, for the past 21 years and it really works GOOD.
Check out this demo video:
I get emotional, every time I view this video. For an old Gear-Head like me, it's almost a religious experience.
It really changed my life. I used 'STP' oil treatment, for years, but it did nothing even close to Prolong.
And here's their web site.
12 oz ENGINE TREATMENT
I used the full shot (12oz) of Prolong Friction proofing at my first DIY oil change at 9kmiles and I've put in the Booster shot (8oz) at each oil change since then. Even for someone who gets their oil changed in a garage, somewhere, it's easy to get a bottle of Prolong and pour it in after the oil change. By the bottle, in a retail store, it's very expensive and that's why I buy it by the Gallon, directly from the company.
My own experience, with Prolong: (In my 2006 Suzuki Forenza, which had been protected with Prolong for many thousand miles)
One evening, after getting an oil change in town at Wall-Mart, I took the I-75 freeway home. While cruising at 80mph + I noticed the Check engine light flashing on intermittently. Then it got more persistent. The engine was still just humming along great, so I kept going. Then the CE light came on solid and the Check Oil light started blinking on and off, and finally it came on solid too. I was still humming right along about 80mph in heavy traffic and about three miles from my exit. I slowed down to about 60mph and finally got to my exit, but even though I knew exactly what was happening, the engine was still running just fine.... so, I drove another ten miles to my local Wall-Mart Auto Service Center, and got there just as they were closing the auto service dept.
I explained my problem to the service manager and he took my car right in and put it on the lift.
A few minutes later, he came out and told me he spun off the oil filter with just two finger. It was really loose.... Ya think?
So they put on a brand new filter and added 4+ quarts of new oil. He said you couldn't oil a bicycle with what was left in that engine. He did ask me one question though...."How on earth did you drive that car in here with NO oil in it, and it's still running great?" All I said was "Prolong" and he just smiled, nodded and walked away.
He was completely astounded, that the Suzuki engine was even still running, let along humming like a Singer sewing machine. I never had one single problem with that engine, after that experience. It always ran just GREAT, for another 40K+ miles. And I never did go back to that Walmart where they failed to properly tighten the oil filter.
I've continued to use Prolong in every car since then, including my two KIA Souls. Regular oils are 'Surface' lubricants, while Prolong is a 'Penetrating' lubricant.

Happy Trails, Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
You traded your last car because it had a knocking sound. I don't think prolong makes a difference. It's called "snake oil".
Joe, how wrong can you be, and still be alive? I never had a "knocking sound" in my 2013, and only a complete idiot with no experience at all, would ever call Prolong 'snake oil'. You're always showing your 'donkey' by saying really stupid things.

:cool:

·
Registered
754 Posts
A Supercharged Saturn Ion - how much horsepower?

I had a 1997 CRV that I installed a Jackson Racing Supercharger on. It was cool - made a nice whine and bumped my HP about 50%... from 125 HP to about 200 HP. The supercharger is to the rear of the engine - hard to see but it's there. I paid about $2500 for it back then and I also paid a mechanic $500 to help me install it. He was a Honda mechanic with a hopped up Civic hatchback. It ran pretty nice and required premium of course. I removed it when I sold the CRV and sold the JR Supercharger for about $2000 - so it was fun and no too bad on the wallet. View attachment 134106
lol, you should've tagged me and I would've responded a year ago :p That little Ion was good for 205 HP and 205 TQ. It was set up nicely by GM with front torsion bars, and other front suspension bits to help with torque steer. It was GM's answer to the Neon SRT-4. Sadly, it didn't build the power that the SRT-4 did, but it could hustle through the corners. My favorite line from Car and Driver on the comparo was "What the Saturn Ion loses to the SRT-4 on the straight-aways, it makes back in the curves". Sadly, it was this type of vehicle that took the life of John Lingenfelter, builder of badass Corvettes, and Camaros. Kind of sucks to be a builder of great V8s and a small 4-banger is what brings you to your death. 2005 Saturn Ion Red Line

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
302 Posts
I've used Pennzoil Platinum for years. Pennzoil offers a do-it-yourself oil change $10 coupon. Thus I could buy a $23 5qt jug at Walmart, and after the mail-in coupon it cost me $13.

Well Walmart (along with a bunch of other outlets) is no longer a participating retailer. In hindsight I wish I had bought the maximum allowed (two 5qt jugs) per coupon period.

So now I'm considering switching to SuperTech Synthetic.
So decided to go with Kirkland (COSTCO) Full Synthetic instead of the SuperTech simply based on price.

Did first oil change with it last night, between breaks of watching Zack Snyder's Justice League.

My driving is severe, very short (<3 mile) commutes and short errands. Doing a 6 month oil change interval which this time equated to about 2,325 miles.

·
Registered
754 Posts
So decided to go with Kirkland (COSTCO) Full Synthetic instead of the SuperTech simply based on price.

Did first oil change with it last night, between breaks of watching Zack Snyder's Justice League.

My driving is severe, very short (<3 mile) commutes and short errands. Doing a 6 month oil change interval which this time equated to about 2,325 miles.
That version of Justice league is the one that should've been released. The other version is garbage.

And so I don't derail the thread, the Kirkland brand was tested by this guy....

81 - 88 of 88 Posts