Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,949 Posts
Meets the same requirements as other name brand motor oils!
I agree billy, Walmart does not make their oil, just like Amazon Basics is not made by Amazon. These sellers use the same major oil company oil. It's probably just Mobile 1 (or the like) but less expensive.

"The Walmart Supertech full synthetic oils are made by Shell. Is Supertech engine oil good? Yes! Supertech Oil is regarded as the best brand over other brands."

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree billy, Walmart does not make their oil, just like Amazon Basics is not made by Amazon. These sellers use the same major oil company oil. It's probably just Mobile 1 (or the like) but less expensive.

"The Walmart Supertech full synthetic oils are made by Shell. Is Supertech engine oil good? Yes! Supertech Oil is regarded as the best brand over other brands."
Super Tech, Amazon, Kirkland and some other store brands are made by Warren Distribution. It’s good oil. Project Farm did his tests on all three of them and they performed very well. I wouldn’t hesitate using it. I’m a bit of a brand snob though but at some point I’ll use it in my Soul. Can’t beat the price.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
302 Posts
...I’m a bit of a brand snob though but at some point I’ll use it in my Soul. Can’t beat the price.
I've used Pennzoil Platinum for years. Pennzoil offers a do-it-yourself oil change $10 coupon. Thus I could buy a $23 5qt jug at Walmart, and after the mail-in coupon it cost me $13.

Well Walmart (along with a bunch of other outlets) is no longer a participating retailer. In hindsight I wish I had bought the maximum allowed (two 5qt jugs) per coupon period.

So now I'm considering switching to SuperTech Synthetic.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Super Tech, Amazon, Kirkland and some other store brands are made by Warren Distribution. It’s good oil. Project Farm did his tests on all three of them and they performed very well. I wouldn’t hesitate using it. I’m a bit of a brand snob though but at some point I’ll use it in my Soul. Can’t beat the price.
I switched to Amazon Basics Full SN+ after watching the tests on Project Farm.

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
For years, with a Gen 1 Soul, and even years before that with several Suzukis, I used Castrol GTX.
Now with my 2020 Soul and a new dealer, once again my car is getting Castrol GTX, 5W20, every 3k miles, with a genuine KIA Oil Filter.
A few weeks ago, when I got my normal 3k oil change, I specifically requested of my Service Writer, "DO NOT OVER FILL with oil".
But the mechanic paid no attention and probably dumped in 5 quarts of oil, bringing the level on the dipstick up to the top of the plastic indicator.....way above the Full mark.

It was a couple of days, before I checked the oil level and found the fault. I called my dealer and complained loudly, and was told to bring the car back and they would correct the problem.

Well, that happened yesterday, and sure nuff, they corrected the oil level. And I was given a card for a FREE Oil Change, sometime later on.

I passed many gas stations during my 60 mile round trip to my dealer, and every one of them were showing reduced gas prices. One Marathon station was selling Regular Unleaded for just $2.65 per gal. That's the lowest price I've seen in months.

The MPG for my 50 mile Pizza run, today, was 42.5mpg. My car is really running great.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
For years, with a Gen 1 Soul, and even years before that with several Suzukis, I used Castrol GTX.
Now with my 2020 Soul and a new dealer, once again my car is getting Castrol GTX, 5W20, every 3k miles, with a genuine KIA Oil Filter.
A few weeks ago, when I got my normal 3k oil change, I specifically requested of my Service Writer, "DO NOT OVER FILL with oil".
But the mechanic paid no attention and probably dumped in 5 quarts of oil, bringing the level on the dipstick up to the top of the plastic indicator.....way above the Full mark.

It was a couple of days, before I checked the oil level and found the fault. I called my dealer and complained loudly, and was told to bring the car back and they would correct the problem.

Well, that happened yesterday, and sure nuff, they corrected the oil level. And I was given a card for a FREE Oil Change, sometime later on.

I passed many gas stations during my 60 mile round trip to my dealer, and every one of them were showing reduced gas prices. One Marathon station was selling Regular Unleaded for just $2.65 per gal. That's the lowest price I've seen in months.

The MPG for my 50 mile Pizza run, today, was 42.5mpg. My car is really running great.

Cheers Mates!
Good for you FL for letting them know they screwed up! I'm thinking of placing a big sticker over the oil fill hole that says "DO NOT OVERFILL."

My friend just bought a used Lexus RX350 2007. It's throwing codes like crazy. Checked her oil and it's like 2 inches above full. I drained out just over 1 gallon to get it back to normal.

• Wow
Reactions: nevets2968

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Last couple times I went to a Valvoline quick change place, you stay in the car. Can't see all that much with the hood up, but they show the dipstick to me and 1 co coworker when done. Also when about to fill the guy yells out 4.2 (or whatever it is) quarts going in. It seemed a bit odd, I wondered of many of them were ex military due to the yelling. But maybe it's a good idea. Prevent screw ups.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Buddy of mine with a Nissan, they didn't put oil in his and he drove off.....until the engine seized.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Last couple times I went to a Valvoline quick change place, you stay in the car. Can't see all that much with the hood up, but they show the dipstick to me and 1 co coworker when done. Also when about to fill the guy yells out 4.2 (or whatever it is) quarts going in. It seemed a bit odd, I wondered of many of them were ex military due to the yelling. But maybe it's a good idea. Prevent screw ups.

I went to a Valvoline quick lube shop once a few years ago and I didn’t like what the tech asked me to do. He asked me to briefly start my engine as the oil was draining. I asked why. He said it drains faster. I said I wasn’t in a hurry (I was the only person there) and said no I’m not going to do that. Never went back.

• Wow
Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I'm impressed they actually have a quality control system. A second set of eyes and verbal confirmation should be standard business practice. Takes a few more seconds & keeps the team engaged on the task at hand. Thanks for sharing that Monster.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
A second set of eyes and verbal confirmation should be standard business practice.
With any job, especially one so repetitive, it is hard to not lose focus and mess up sometimes.
Imagine, all day long you are just changing oil and maybe air filters. Hopefully you are not just stuck in the pit unscrewing drain plugs and relacing oil filters all day. You could go nuts. o_O

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard of oil failure being a cause of an engine failure from any specific make. Usually it's human error during the oil change or lack of one that causes the failure. I knew a girl in high school that had her car break down on her because she didn't know that she needed to change the oil in her car.

If you follow the owner's manual for recommended interval and type, you can put the cheapest crap in your car, as that would provide you with more protection than the best oil with the wrong weight or running it past the recommended interval. Some people are just a little silly when it comes to brand loyalty, but ask yourself how many times have you heard of someone breaking down because they used brand XYZ instead of brand ABC?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Some people are just a little silly when it comes to brand loyalty, but ask yourself how many times have you heard of someone breaking down because they used brand XYZ instead of brand ABC?
One of my favorite things to say "You can spend a lot more but do you really get a lot more"

61 - 80 of 88 Posts