Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Use any gas-only GF5 / GF6 SN Plus / SP synthetic oil and any viscosity approved in the owners manual. Just keep your engine relatively clean for warranty reasons and keep oil changes within the mileage allotments of your owners manual. Most of us ( a large majority) fall under Severe Service Us of our owners manual. I change my Kia and Hyundai oils at 4k-max. It's an easy number to remember and multiply-by.

I am not currently using Dexos 1 / Generation 2 oils. But I will return to them, once my Pennzoil SN plus are exhausted by year-end.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,900 Posts
Just kidding!!

Loving the Soul, the gas mileage is way better than I expected. So far I have zero complaints.
Haha! Funny guy eh.....

Glad to hear you're loving your new Soul.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
40 Posts
I have been using castrol magnatec 5w20. I have been using castrol for 20+ years now. Have not gotten to an oil change yet in the Soul. However my Volvo’s seemed to tolerate it well, and my Nissan NVP appears to like it too. As long as it meets the requirements in the manual You are probably going to be just fine. I’ll pay a little extra for a name brand synthetic, if for no other reason than to support their R&D efforts.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I use whatever my KIA dealer puts in for me. If the engine fails, it's on THEM and not me. NO Kidding!
I've been told that right now they are using Havoline 5W20, following KIA guidelines. And, of course a genuine KIA Oil Filter.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I work at a Kia Dealership and if you look at the top of your air filter it states Kia Recommends Total Quartz Oil and at our dealership we use what Kia requires for their car line.....and we use 5w30 semi synthetic Total oil........

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Many people don't know this, but oil is a deep state conspiracy and a hoax, therefore I stopped ingesting it. Good luck to those that still do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Currently I have Valvoline Modern Engine 5W-30 with a Napa Gold filter. I will probably switch to (Costco) Kirkland 5W-30 with Napa Gold filters after that. I'll tell you one thing - my current oil has about 3500 miles on it and looks as clean as the day I put it in. I know VME has advanced additives to keep oil cleaner because it's made for GDI Turbos to keep carbon buildup in check, so I guess it must be keeping my MPI - non-turbo engine super clean. Pretty cool.

Reactions: Joemsj51

·
Registered
2x 2020 GT-Line Turbo
21 Posts
For the GT-Line Turbo:
Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5w30 Full Synthetic. (not the high milage version)
Meets ACEA A5/B5 as recommended in Owner's Manual. 5w30 listed on valve cover cap. Fram Ultra filter XG9688.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For the GT-Line Turbo:
Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5w30 Full Synthetic. (not the high milage version)
Meets ACEA A5/B5 as recommended in Owner's Manual. 5w30 listed on valve cover cap. Fram Ultra filter XG9688.
If you have a GDI Turbo you need to consider oils that combat carbon buildup on your intake valves and LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Currently I have Valvoline Modern Engine 5W-30 with a Napa Gold filter. I will probably switch to (Costco) Kirkland 5W-30 with Napa Gold filters after that. I'll tell you one thing - my current oil has about 3500 miles on it and looks as clean as the day I put it in. I know VME has advanced additives to keep oil cleaner because it's made for GDI Turbos to keep carbon buildup in check, so I guess it must be keeping my MPI - non-turbo engine super clean. Pretty cool.
Wow!
You may have found the best oil for your Kia. I wouldn't change a thing..... even run the same filter again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I work for a Kia Dealership and some FYI.....if you dont use a Factory Oil Filter and dont service your vehicle at a dealership and have proof of all your services done at dealership engine warranty will be a issue.....Kia Recommends for oil ,....Total quartz motor oil.....its on the air filter cover on a decal , and at the dealership I work at we use a semi synthetic 5 w 30 Total quartz motor oil .....just a thought when engine issues arise. And you want to make a warranty claim....
If that is the case, then Kia is in violation of Federal law in the US. US law (Magnuson Act) allows individuals to have repairs and service done where a owner wishes even at home. as long as the work is documented as to time and mileage, warrantyit’s must be honored. That being said, I have my Kias all serviced by my dealer. I like the work they doe and have been good to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That may be true ,but Kia Has the right to refuse to replace engine for not having it serviced at said dealership and not using recommended oil and factory filter so that statement ultimately will cause a issue when it comes to warranty work with proof of maintenance or not due to the fact that Kia keeps track of all service repairs at said dealership and when not using factory parts on a vehicle under a warranty that will become a issue because I see it on a daily basis.....so I know what I am speaking of....so you can have all the proof but they can still deny your warranty claim.
Kia does NOT have the right to deny because they didn't do the work or use their parts.
If they think they do, they are incorrect and the law is on the consumers side.
The consumer will need records of work done and parts used though.
Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
54 Posts
I work at a Kia Dealership and if you look at the top of your air filter it states Kia Recommends Total Quartz Oil and at our dealership we use what Kia requires for their car line.....and we use 5w30 semi synthetic Total oil........
What is Total Quartz Oil ?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,900 Posts
That may be true ,but Kia Has the right to refuse to replace engine for not having it serviced at said dealership and not using recommended oil and factory filter so that statement ultimately will cause a issue when it comes to warranty work with proof of maintenance or not due to the fact that Kia keeps track of all service repairs at said dealership and when not using factory parts on a vehicle under a warranty that will become a issue because I see it on a daily basis.....so I know what I am speaking of....so you can have all the proof but they can still deny your warranty claim.
On a side note: one of the benefits of setting up a Kia Owners account is that you can update your Souls service history with, say a DIY oil change, & get it into Kia's computer system along with the date & mileage.

https://owners.kia.com/us/en/kia-owner-portal.html/

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
For seven years, I crawled under my 2013 Soul, every 3k miles, to change my own oil. When asked if I actually got down there on the ground to change my oil at my 70+ years, my response would always be, "I can just fall down there, but getting up is a little more complicated". Now at 77 years old, it's really not something I want to do anymore.

Since day one, the guys at Citrus Kia have done all the maintenance on my 2020 Soul. For the most part, they do a good job. And with every oil change, they check to see if there are any upgrades or recalls on my car, and they look it over from bumper to bumper, for anything loose, bent, broken or needing any attention. Then they vac. out the sand and wash the car. While they do all that, I watch some TV, drink some coffee, and walk around and check out the new cars and chat with the Sales Staff. They've got a deep blue Seltos on the sales floor, that I'd love to take home, but.....

So there are just so many benefits to my quarterly trip to my KIA Dealer, I'd never want to give that up.
And, I know that they use only Genuine KIA parts, like the Oil Filter, etc. And their work, as with the parts, is totally warranted. They even gave me a NEW tire, when on the last rotation, they found something stuck in the sidewall of one tire.

I'm sorry, , , I do tend to ramble on.
Y'all take care now, stay safe and stay healthy!
FLH :cool:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts