Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Soul has these style wheels, 205 60R-16. The wheel is aluminum and the black is a robust plastic. Anyone know what is under the plastic? Is the metal polished or just rough like the backside.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Those are OEM rims either painted or powdercoated black, I don't think they ever came from the factory black. But to answer your question, the rims should be aluminum.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
the 2016 Base model had 16" alloys standard, like humanoid just mentioned it looks like they have been painted as they did not come from the factory that way.
If you think they are plastic, then why not just pop the hub cap off and find out, but I don't think you can.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it is a plastic cover that snaps in place. If you have one you would know it as it is very obvious. I even broke off a very small strip on the outer edge trying to get it to pop off. I was just hoping someone could tell me from experience what the bare wheels look like. I haven't worked up the courage to seriously attempt to pop one off as I am afraid they will be so horrendous that I will have to replace them and I don't want to spend 500 bucks just now:wink-new:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
can you not tell what is underneath through the gaps of the cap? I didn't think alloys are designed to accept any hub-caps (why would they?), so maybe just a regular steel rim.

The design is so close to the original OEM alloys for that year of Soul, that's why we thought they were painted OEM's. You must have bought this used and someone has put there own wheel configuration on it. Maybe try to see another similar 2016 or 2017 Base Soul, to get a closer look at their OEM rims to compare.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
Hi newt, I believe they are called wheel skins. My dealer had them on display on a black-out accessories rack.

2016_kia_soul_skins_black.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi newt, I believe they are called wheel skins. My dealer had them on display on a black-out accessories rack.

View attachment 116313
Yes, that looks very similar to mine but not absolutely the same. I bought used at a Kia dealer and the salesman pointed out the wheel covers as being some kind of limited offer that year. Is there a website that shows options in the various years?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Careful, some of those you actually need to remove the lug nuts to get them off... prying them off might break them.
I'm almost 100% certain it's an alloy wheel underneath.

Do note: some of the 2012 Forte's had these strange alloy wheels with plastic covers that were NOT meant to come off - they were odd. These might be similar?

This is what the standard OEM wheel looks like - those black ones in your picture look like bolt-on rim skins. Where the lug nuts are what is holding it on.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
Reactions: newtmaker

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bingo. I believe this is what I have. So, my wheel should look like the polished aluminum on the right and the black skins are what I have. If that is the case they sure are a fright to remove.
I will have to contact these folks for info.
Thanks for the link!!!

Walt

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I talked to the folks at hubcaphaven and they explained how to take them off. Not easily done unless you have very strong fingers. I will probably have to remove each tire and work from the backside.

Walt

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Almost like new!

I don't know how long the black skins were on but the wheels underneath look good albeit a little dirty. My 35 yr old son came by and popped them off in a heartbeat! I'm saving the skins incase I wanna go back at some time but for the time being I will stay with this look :joyous:

IMG_1941.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts