Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Soul is one month old, and the outer black side and bumper areas are showing some mild discoloration. What is the best product to both protect and enhance their appearance? Good old ArmorAll like I used to use 30 years ago, or are there better things now?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
On my second Soul - a 2020 LX w/IVT
113 Posts
There are plenty of potions out there for plastic/vinyl/rubber and each has its supporters. I usually recommend Meguiar's #40 plastic/vinyl/rubber cleaner/conditioner (sorry for the long name). If you can't find #40 locally (I recommend going to a better auto parts supplier that serves auto paint shops and detailers), Amazon has it.

#40 cleans the surface and restores color, but doesn't leave any artificial shine. Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Rubber-Cleaner-Conditioner/dp/B0002SQYV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443601089&sr=8-1&keywords=Meguiars+%2340

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Trust me,I have tried every cleaner/protectorant for plastic /rubber etc there is.
Armorall is terrible.
I highly recommend,AutoGlym Vinyl&Rubber Coat VRC500US.
This stuff is unbelievable!
Some auto stores like PepBoys used to sell it. Its available online(Amazon &others).
You can use this product on all plastic,vinyl,rubber surfaces. Even under the hood.
It lasts forever. No greasy oily finish. Anti static too. Dust stays off the surface.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I am with Goose the meguiars products state on them which are safe for plastics and acrylic windows . these products will not break down finish of plastics and need recolouring. Auto Glym used to do two widow cleaners and I know one of them was not safe on acrylics. Have not tried that product mentioned but a tip is to look for something states does not degrade acrylic windows.
Many waxes polishes and window cleaners do the fading look shows this on glass becomes opaque and cracks.

jeff

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I swear by Armor-All Extreme Shield Wax............Just like Frank's Hot Sauce, I put that **** on everything :tongue-new:

2011 Soul, 82,000 kms..........I have waxed the ENTIRE car (except the tires) and then buffed it off in about an hour and a quarter. No white residues, easy-peasy...........try that with some other products. Entire car beads water. I only use it 3 or so times a year too.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,168 Posts
I've used "Back to Black" by Mothers with good results, just did the "greying rubber" at the base of the windows and it came back to its original black, but took a few coats to do it but that was the first time since I purchased the vehicle four years ago. It also brought back the plastic cowl area behind the wipers to like new with only two coats.
It does not have to be a black item for the product any of the plastic parts on the vehicle are suitable. It works great on the "tusk" areas of the bumper as well as the black plastic insert around the rear reflectors as well as the side body moldings.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Try looking up Ru Glyde lubricant for rubber. I learned about it as a kid (17) working at a Sunoco dealer training station. It is used to help mount tires on rims. We used it to scrub a cleaned tire or rubber mat. Scrub it then rinse the excess off and let it dry. Wonderful stuff commercial grade. This is the stuff trucker companies use. (and tire companies, etc)
It cleans, conditions, and gives a non shiny glow like brand new rubber. It helps rubber that is drying out. It prevents drying out. It treats with UV protectants. Its like $15 a gallon!

Put it on tires and scrub them and rinse off or just apply it to clean tires. either way it is awesome. Zaino has a good rubber dressing also but is expensive. All these others are expensive for the amount you get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So many great suggestions - thanks! I'm live very rural, so I buy a bunch at Amazon and will look up some of the suggestions there and let you know how it goes.

BTW, that 2011 Soul looks awesome MT-ED!

·
Registered
799 Posts
yes it does. But I bet it looked dusty again within a minute being black!

·
Registered
842 Posts
So many great suggestions - thanks! I'm live very rural, so I buy a bunch at Amazon...
Nothing better than amazon prime. My $15/quart Motorcycle oil is half that on Amazon and they put it on a plane and ship it in two days for free :)

My wife and I are building a new house and are strongly considering buying or new appliances on Amazon as well. Every item we want including the double built in wall oven and Induction cooktop are on Amazon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts