Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The exterior design I like very much including the interior.

The following I would like even at extra cost. 1...A front bench seat with folding armrest. 2...Shift lever on steering column or (paddle shifting?) or forward enough to allow driver to slide out at curb. 3...Bolster on drivers side to extend seat length under thighs for taller people. 4...Power seats that go higher and not forward at same time so shins aren’t rubbing on dash. 5...Grab handle above left for driver since armrest useless for those over 5’ 10”. 6...Movable back seat slides forward for maximum trunk space. Dog would not fall on floor in panic stops. Or back seat slides back providing extra legroom. Back seat backs able to recline which makes them as comfortable as front seats. 6...Built in Kill Switch with delay of 10 seconds, with warning lights flashing, allowing thief to get out into traffic. Chances less anger to damage interior since exiting vehicle fast is most important. 7...Lights or brighter lights on switches under infotainment screen.

Note: I’m very happy about my Kia and when I walk away from parking it I always look back and give it an admiring glance.

This is not a thread for performance problems, oil consumption, transmission issues, etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

The following I would like even at extra cost. 1...A front bench seat with folding armrest. 2...Shift lever on steering column or (paddle shifting?) or forward enough to allow driver to slide out at curb. 3...Bolster on drivers side to extend seat length under thighs for taller people. 4...Power seats that go higher and not forward at same time so shins aren’t rubbing on dash. 5...Grab handle above left for driver since armrest useless for those over 5’ 10”. 6...Movable back seat slides forward for maximum trunk space. Dog would not fall on floor in panic stops. Or back seat slides back providing extra legroom. Back seat backs able to recline which makes them as comfortable as front seats. 6...Built in Kill Switch with delay of 10 seconds, with warning lights flashing, allowing thief to get out into traffic. Chances less anger to damage interior since exiting vehicle fast is most important. 7...Lights or brighter lights on switches under infotainment screen.

Note: I’m very happy about my Kia and when I walk away from parking it I always look back and give it an admiring glance.

This is not a thread for performance problems, oil consumption, transmission issues, etc.
The Nissan Cube had the back seat features as mentioned above and it was a buy trigger for me. It was an ideal feature for a small car and it worked great.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,744 Posts

Those would be awesome features Rikia for the Soul. I remember some station wagon our neighbors had back in the 70s with bench seats that slid back and grab straps everywhere. The car was like a huge boat, very comfortable and a sloshy ride.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I know the feeling. Living room sofas on wheels.
Land based yachts. When I was much younger a local guy would buy the big station wagons, cut the back off and make pick up trucks out of them. They sold like hot cakes. Or as Lisa Douglas would say....hots cakes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Land based yachts. When I was much younger a local guy would buy the big station wagons, cut the back off and make pick up trucks out of them. They sold like hot cakes. Or as Lisa Douglas would say....hots cakes.
[/QUOTE
American Rambler in early sixties had fully reclinable front seats. Daughters would not be allowed to go on dates if some dude showed up in one of them.

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
Ahhh....the good ol days!
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
American Rambler in early sixties had fully reclinable front seats. Daughters would not be allowed to go on dates if some dude showed up in one of them.
We had one of those. A Cross Country wagon. Those seats were amazing. Push button automatic.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
759 Posts
The exterior design I like very much including the interior....

Like some of your ideas.

I used a large rear seat dog cover which attaches to the front headrests to cover the gap between the front and rear seats then place blocky cushions or storage containers underneath in the gap so the dog wouldn't fall down during hard braking.

Split hatch similar to the Honda Element. The lower section sturdy enough to use a bench seat like a truck tailgate.​
Split bench for front with built-in flip-down armrests.​
Delete the center console so that the front seat occupants can crossover to the other side of the car just like the rear seat occupants can.​
If automatic transmission then relocate shifter to dash like Honda Element, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, etc.​
Delete the overhead console (with eyeglass holder) and relocate the rearview mirror higher up on the windshield so that less of the forward view thru the windshied is blocked.​
Storage areas with doors in the hatch interior trim panels to hide small items out-of-sight.​
Front headreast / head restraints that have greater adjustable range - mine are still too far forward in the fully back position.​
Adjustable clutch pedal.​
Greater adjustment range up/down and forward/back for steering wheel.​
Rear seats that fold down completely flat.​
Front (passenger) seat that folds forward completely flat such that with the rear seat folded down there is a relatively flat, level section extending all the way from the rear hatch to front (for placing long items like 8ft lumber 2x4s etc).​

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like some of your ideas.

I used a large rear seat dog cover which attaches to the front headrests to cover the gap between the front and rear seats then place blocky cushions or storage containers underneath in the gap so the dog wouldn't fall down during hard braking.

Split hatch similar to the Honda Element. The lower section sturdy enough to use a bench seat like a truck tailgate.​
Delete the center console so that the front seat occupants can crossover to the other side of the car just like the rear seat occupants can.​
If automatic transmission then relocate shifter to dash like Honda Element, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, etc.​
Delete the overhead console (with eyeglass holder) and relocate the rearview mirror higher up on the windshield so that less of the forward view thru the windshied is blocked.​
Storage areas with doors in the hatch interior trim panels to hide small items out-of-sight.​
Front headreast / head restraints that have greater adjustable range - mine are still too far forward in the fully back position.​
Front (passenger) seat that folds forward completely flat such that with the rear seat folded down there is a relatively flat, level section extending all the way from the rear hatch to front (for placing long items like 8ft lumber 2x4s etc).​
Like some of your ideas.

I’m impressed with your items. I had decided that my next car would be the Honda Element because of some very practical features. It was compact and the flexible interior from a traditional sedan to a one seater “truck” was an ingenious design. And an AWD. By the time I was ready to buy the Element they discontinued production! #&$#@&#. They we’re so desirable that I could not find any used ones and it still puzzles me why it was discontinued.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
759 Posts
...And an AWD.
You may already know not typical AWD. Only kicks in if there is front wheel slippage otherwise I think the system operates as regular front-wheel drive.

Drive is either front-wheel drive or optionally, all wheel drive — via a hydraulically actuated on demand system that engages with front wheel slippage, marketed as "Real Time 4WD".

On demand as determined by the vehicle system, I don't think there was any button or lever the driver could use to force the AWD to engage.To me sorta like having a limited-slip differential but instead of sending power to the opposite front wheel sends power to the rear.

As a review by an owner stated great added on-board insurance for bad weather / bad road conditions if run into snow, ice, mud whatever.

By the time I was ready to buy the Element they discontinued production! #&$#@&#. They we’re so desirable that I could not find any used ones and it still puzzles me why it was discontinued.
After my wreck when I was looking for a replacement vehicle I saw an ad for a nice clean looking one but it way out-of-town and I had no easy way to check it out, plus had over 150k on the odometer. But there are plenty of Elements with well over 200k and 300k miles on them so seems fairly dependable. They were holding their value even before this crazy sellers market we're in.

I thought I heard (pre-Covid) Honda was re-releasing the Element but that stalled???

All You Need Know About 2023 Honda Element

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may already know not typical AWD. Only kicks in if there is front wheel slippage otherwise I think the system operates as regular front-wheel drive.

Drive is either front-wheel drive or optionally, all wheel drive — via a hydraulically actuated on demand system that engages with front wheel slippage, marketed as "Real Time 4WD".

On demand as determined by the vehicle system, I don't think there was any button or lever the driver could use to force the AWD to engage.To me sorta like having a limited-slip differential but instead of sending power to the opposite front wheel sends power to the rear.

As a review by an owner stated great added on-board insurance for bad weather / bad road conditions if run into snow, ice, mud whatever.

After my wreck when I was looking for a replacement vehicle I saw an ad for a nice clean looking one but it way out-of-town and I had no easy way to check it out, plus had over 150k on the odometer. But there are plenty of Elements with well over 200k and 300k miles on them so seems fairly dependable. They were holding their value even before this crazy sellers market we're in.

I thought I heard (pre-Covid) Honda was re-releasing the Element but that stalled???

All You Need Know About 2023 Honda Element
Thank you for the news all good except the price, You are sure right on the Element mileage. I still see numerous ones on the road and surprisingly most of the bodies are so new looking I thought they may be in production again. Most 10 year old cars in Northern Michigan have more rust than WW ll landing barges.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Car Speedometer Vehicle White Light

AWD Option and Interior. For the AWD Option, everyone might agree about who lives in upper states. Interior is a something that Soul need the change ASAP, it is still same as late 2000s to early 2010s /Kia cars, especially on centerpiece.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If anythin changes, please, please don’t change the manual knobs for HVAC, and I wish they would go beck to push buttons for the radio. It’s much less distracting and easier to change stations when driving.

·
Registered
2021 LX IVT
143 Posts
The Nissan Cube had the back seat features as mentioned above and it was a buy trigger for me. It was an ideal feature for a small car and it worked great.
I know the feeling. Living room sofas on wheels.
That's pretty much how I described my Cube. When I had it I hated the Soul, clearly for all the wrong reasons. But still that seat, and the fabric, had I totaled that car I would have salvaged those seats for my living room! :D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
"Front (passenger) seat that folds forward completely flat such that with the rear seat folded down there is a relatively flat, level section extending all the way from the rear hatch to front (for placing long items like 8ft lumber 2x4s etc). "

8' lumber or long box is really Do'able. My nicname for my Soul, is the little Lumber Wagon.
First I pull the passenger seat all the way forward, then lay it all the way back. Then fold the back (passenger side) seat all the way forward. Then toss a blanket over the two seats to protect the upholstery, and load in the 8' lumber. If it needs to rest on the dashboard, protect the dash with a blanket or folded towel.
It's fully do'able, with just a little preparation. Done it many times myself, and smile all the way home, and just hope that I don't have to make any emergency stops.
It's nice to be able to bring home things that are 8' long and still be able to close the hatch.

I'd be more comfortable sitting in my Soul if the front seat were more like a Bench than a Bucket.
So I put a folded blanket in my front seat to make it more Flat, and more comfortable. Otherwise, I just love her to death.
Twin 50 cal's on the front, would be good for those #$%^ that pull right out in front of you. lol

:cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Front (passenger) seat that folds forward completely flat such that with the rear seat folded down there is a relatively flat, level section extending all the way from the rear hatch to front (for placing long items like 8ft lumber 2x4s etc). "

8' lumber or long box is really Do'able. My nicname for my Soul, is the little Lumber Wagon.
First I pull the passenger seat all the way forward, then lay it all the way back. Then fold the back (passenger side) seat all the way forward. Then toss a blanket over the two seats to protect the upholstery, and load in the 8' lumber. If it needs to rest on the dashboard, protect the dash with a blanket or folded towel.
It's fully do'able, with just a little preparation. Done it many times myself, and smile all the way home, and just hope that I don't have to make any emergency stops.
It's nice to be able to bring home things that are 8' long and still be able to close the hatch.

I'd be more comfortable sitting in my Soul if the front seat were more like a Bench than a Bucket.
So I put a folded blanket in my front seat to make it more Flat, and more comfortable. Otherwise, I just love her to death.
Twin 50 cal's on the front, would be good for those #$%^ that pull right out in front of you. lol

:cool:
Darn good thoughts with humor mixed in. The 8 foot space for carrying lumber is an essential feature. And bucket seats are fine if you like sitting in a bucket. Regarding the 50 cal's I almost bought a war surplus B-17 top turret complete with center rotating support shaft. You could easily dispatch those idiots pulling right in front or the ones with big pickups that ride your tail so close that all you see is a truck grill out the rear window..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts